Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th March 2008, 16:58   #31

Mind you, these cars are bieng made for the US market so the build quality might not be that bad, Childrens toy train is what they call a shuttle, not a bad choice for public transport I guess
ranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 00:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

good effort by a startup company. and its priced right also, lets wait and see when it hit the roads. Unlike reva it looks like a proper car at less than half the price.

Its strange that many state RTO doesn't have legislation to register these type of vehicle, maybe that will change.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 09:23   #33
Default Re: Tara International's Tiny joins Nano race with world's cheapest car

This thread is long dead, I kept searching all over the internet to find more information about the company and their ventures, but found very little other than the company's official website. Anyways, in real, I have met this company's representatives quite a few times in various trade shows in kolkata in the past, have seen a few two wheelers there.
The company seemed very energetic about their projects.

Anyways, why I bumped up this old thread is, a few days ago I recieved a call from Tara International asking me wether my company manufactures aluminium components, I said yes, and hence I was asked for a visit to their factory in the outskirts of kolkata. Since the last 2 weeks I have been interacting with them. What I was called for, was manufacturing a few aluminium die-cast components for a motor wheel which drives their electric two wheeler or E Bike. They have good plans & projections for their E Bike right now as we all know the market for these E Bikes are really picking up, at least the market has grown by leaps & bounds in the Tier II & Tier III cities. I asked them about their plans for electric cars, but they said these are still a few months away. What they are really interested in, these days, is to localise these E Bikes as much as possible, the rear wheel being a major part, as that itself is the motor which drives the vehicle. We are in discussions and are working really hard to make the components for them at a competitive price point so that they can see a good cost difference in importing them and localizing them. They say, their projections are somewhat modest right now, considering their dealer footprint is negligible, but they are really interested to grow as they plan to develop these components one by one in the country. They gave me a tentative sales figure of around 10,000 E Bikes annually. Which I am right now doubtful about, nevertheless, I am excited with their plans, but have doubts how well they are going to execute it, as we all know A.S.S. is a big factor in the automobile industry. We all know Yo bikes and Hero electric bikes are selling well these days, just because they are able to provide reasonably good after sales services.
Also, as per my observations from the engineering point of view, these electric vehicles should be rather easy to maintain, as they have very few components, and identifying and rectifying problems are relatively much easier than an IC engine or a CI engine.

So, I wish to know from other fellow BHP-ians what more information do you people have on this company and their future plans? It is good to learn that at last someone from Bengal is trying to do something productive.

Last edited by arpanjha : 19th October 2012 at 09:26.
arpanjha is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 08:24   #34

Today I saw magazine from Business Standard - Commertial feature (Nov 2013).
Its all about Tara International (WB) - Electric and Hybrid vehicles.

But on their website there is not much info on hybrid / retrofit products.

Converting our car to hybrid would be great idea. Has anyone really tried converting car to Hybrid ?
sameervg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 10:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

As someone has already noted, recharging a typical electric car can take a good 6-8 hours.
The Tara car (and others like it) therefore are useful for a daily run-about, but cannot be taken out for long distance drives. So target segment would be stay-at-home mom/dad/grandpa etc. who need a car to go from home to market or home to the bank etc all within a radius of 5 km...
Now the question is how many people would be willing to put down a lakh for that convenience.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 10:05   #36

I would really like to go through the BS Nov 2013 issue. As far as I am concerned, I had met the director of the company in March 2013, and I had mentioned earlier, I was working with them for developing their Aluminium Die-Cast components, but somehow they didnt seem to be professional enough in their attitude towards achieving production of their products. As far as retro fitting goes, I saw one Amby which was retro-fitted in their factory in serampore, west bengal. I have serious doubts about the future of this company. I hope they really start manufacturing electric vehicles, but practically it seems to be distant dream.
arpanjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 14:40   #37
Infractions: 0/1 (5)

For the last comment from Arpan:
A lot people/companies show some promise at the start, but somehow, manage to get to only "distant dream" situation. No doubt this thread started in 2008 and for 5 good years, it was dead. I just hope Tara and other such Indian companies could deliver, for the best of the automotive world as a whole and of Indian economy as well.
itsashishsharma is offline   Reply With Quote