Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th January 2005, 17:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
Hey RX135 had u been to Ashwamegh auto lately...
Yep! I did. How did you know though?
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2005, 17:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

[color=Blue]I am trying to keep my Petra facination away but here I am compelled to answer [/color]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
forget the engine,
[color=Blue]Forget the engine? Dont say that to a VTec lover, else he will chew you. That is THE most (if not the only) important part of any auto.[/color]
1.ikon looks better than petra
[color=Blue]Looks are subjective. I like Ikon, I like Petra. I hated old Sienna looks most, but Petra does look good.[/color]
2.ikon has better interiors,petra has the same old interiors carried forward from the first gen siena
[color=Blue]Alright. You got it right about Petra but not so with Ikon. Both are bad Definitely nothing that Ikon can boast of.[/color]
3.ikon has better service support,petra is nowhere near
[color=Blue]Depends on where you are. Read somewhere, GTO had problems with even Merc At least in Pune, service is alright. I know at least 2 instances where they helped my friends stranded in a Palio over highway.[/color]
4.both cars are fully loaded(flair annieversary and petra)
[color=Blue]So?[/color]
5.ikon has twice the resale of the petra
[color=Blue]I take that.[/color]
6.ford will be here for another century,what about fiat?
[color=Blue]Didnt understand how does that make Ikon better than Petra? Ford is down in US too, of course not bad as Fiat. BTW, there still are many happy Matiz owners around.[/color]
7.the only advantage with petra is the 100bhp engine but ikon flair is driveable enough.
[color=Blue]How about choppy ride?[/color]
8.image of ikon is far better than petra.
[color=Blue]Summary of points 3, 5, 6 [/color]
[color=Blue]Now lets talk about it.
1. Petra gives ride quality unmatched in its class.
2. Petra is build like a tank. Cant say the same about Ikon. Definitely not as solid Petra.
3. Do you want to compare 70/100 bhp engines?
4. High maintenance after 3 years for Ikon? At least, Fiat spares are cheaper.
5. Fiat cars are built to last. They are safe and advanced with 32 bit ECU, knock sensor, FPS, blah blah..

Alright, I eventually did get my bias here, but I dont' consider Flair and Petra in same category. (Which most people do coz their prices fall in same range).
[/color]
Old 24th January 2005, 20:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

man RX dude
you really did your research didnt you ...
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2005, 21:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

If only everyone did their research like RX

Quote:
petra is junk
Quote:
the fuel pump of the car failed at around 4000kms
Typical Indian reaction. Just because a part failed (which could happen to any car from any company) at a particular kms. level the whole car is dismissed as crap! Nothing wrong with that provided the same rule is applied to all car companies. Using this logic, Honda must be selling the most defective cars in the country since they have recalled each and every model that they sold here. Again, I have nothing against recalls. They are done the world over and no one considers recalls as a bad thing but we need to have the same standards of judgement. If honda and toyota do it no-one bats an eyelid. If the same recalls were done by fiat, ford, GM , even Maruti then there would have been a huge controversy over how MNC's are fooling Indians by dumping sub-standard products!
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2005, 21:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
If only everyone did their research like RX

Alright! I tried best to stay away from any Petra related post, but that earlier post lured me into it.

On a side note, I appreciate Honda's recalling every car for whatever problems reported. Nothing is perfect (remember?GTO's Merc had problems ), so it takes courage and true professionalism to accept a mistake and correct it. If Honda does that, that's great. Sadly, most other companies will simply pass the buck around or will not accept that there is a problem.

Neverthless, Fiat is the whip-boy for indian car industry. I have interacted with Fiat sales, Fiat dealers and they are not that bad as they are portreyed to be. However, their marketing strategy sucks and it sucks big time. How else can one justify that fantastic car lineup biting dust in indian auto market and losing out to Hyundai and Suzuki, much lesser known companies out of India?
Old 24th January 2005, 23:19   #36
Team-BHP Support

i dont have any problems with petra itself i feel its a great car but the fiat s policy is really bad.the uno failed,the siena never took off,the palio is such nice car it got a very nice responce when launched then why did it fail,have any doubts go and check out the second hand prices of the siena aka petra
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 07:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I appreciate Honda's recalling every car for whatever problems reported
Why Honda? I appreciate any company that recalls their cars for whatever problems they had when they left the factory. But the question is will any other person in India do the same?

Quote:
Sadly, most other companies will simply pass the buck around or will not accept that there is a problem.
I don't blame them. Honda and Toyota can get away simply cuz Indians blindly trust them (and don't tell me it's brand value please). On the other hand other companies will be criticised for selling sub-standard products. I remember reading in ACI that Ford had asked it's dealers to recalibrate the Ikon's ECU when it was launched a few years back to improve FE. They never publicized this because they knew they would really really lose face in India.
The weird part is that when a company is trusted blindly and they goof up people should feel cheated but in India people respect Honda/Toyota more and call them mature! I have nothing against any company. My point is about people here having different standards of judgement for different companies.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 12:12   #38

Default My Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
damn ..
i really feel sorry foir your friend ...
5.67 on road right
the petra is a really lovely car and the ikon flair just isnt all that good .
i think fiat in bangy needs a lesson in marketing ...
the ones in bombay are quite good - shaman was good then there was angad .. forgetting the name of trhe best one however
I am the 'friend' who swithced to Ford Anniversary from Fiat Petra.
There are two reasons for it.
1. I myself had felt the stiffness of the dealer
2. When I tried test driving Petra, road visibilty was less

This is my experience. I do not have any dispute on the quality of Petra. But many of my firneds who are having Ford are happy. So I decided to go with a known devil rather than with an unknown devil.
Bharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 15:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

cool bharath
wasnt the anniv. model old or is this some other one
anyways what is so unknown about the petra...
its been around for a very long time but with a different name
Old 25th January 2005, 18:36   #40
BHPian

Bharat I back you on your choice(Though I may be biased because I own a flair). Flair offers a great package of good looks, good handling, back seat comfort, decent mileage and a fun-to-drive peppy engine though it does lose out on horsepower. Its a good car to drive in the city with a sharp steering response, low turning radius and better visibility than the petra.
Join the josh gang!!!

ps. It was a good decision to stay away from sundaram IMO.
sid_lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 19:01   #41
Team-BHP Support

you get a ikon1.6exi at 5.49lakhs ex showroom delhi,petra at 4.78 lakhs ex showroom delhi not a big difference considering the peace of mind,image,better service,better handling.......etc. ikon flair retails only for 4.79lakhs...powersteering,powerwindows,tacho,
Old 27th January 2005, 14:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
5.ikon has twice the resale of the petra
That's good for Flair if buying new.
That's great for Petra/Siena if buying used car!

HK
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 16:07   #43
Team-BHP Support

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
That's good for Flair if buying new.
That's great for Petra/Siena if buying used car!

HK
100%
Old 29th January 2005, 14:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

ya but you guys forgot that the petra will last twice as long and will make sure you have more fun