Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st February 2008, 00:06   #46
srh
BHPian

I would buy this if I get it below 11 lakhs. Else who cares if it is 2.5 liter, 3 liter or 4 liter. I don't take my household for weekend outings. This vehicle doesn't have comfort levels compared to similar priced vehicles. The use of this vehicle in Bangalore would be only to scare off other vehicles. But then I can buy a CL series Mahindra for that and put huge bull bars .
Old 21st February 2008, 07:36   #47
BHPian

I saw the vehicle yesterday and the interiors i must say are no better than the Safari and given the choice between them, would go with the safari. I have made my thoughts known about the Safari's quality, but never expected Ford to try and get away by palming off such interiors for a 20L vehicle! There were around a dozen metro ford sales guys hanging around the new endy and no customers, whilst the next door Mitsubishi showroom was delivering two Pajeros to customers with a couple of sales persons talking to then..
Old 21st February 2008, 08:56   #48
Ram
Senior - BHPian

I think there's a mix-up of expectations.

On the one side are ideas like
  • serious offroading, which goes with long wheel travel,
  • four-wheel-drive,
  • grinding low-ratio transfer case for crawling up a very steep rock,
  • vehicles with boulder-bashing tough suspension that can jump off a two-foot high platform and land without bottoming-out,
  • lockable differentials,
  • an interior that can be washed with a pressure-hose without getting water into the gauges,
  • trailer towing...
On the other side are soft wimpy things like
  • cross-over design (as street-stuck as a car, yet as clumsy as an SUV),
  • front-wheel-drive with electronic switchover all-wheel-drive (think Honda CRV),
  • car-like comfort, air-suspension,
  • high-speed expressway driving, etc.
In the extreme case, a two-wheel-drive pretender
with graphics, plastic cladding and bumpers and names that allude to toughness.

Then again, we are in 2008 -- the year of the Nano that astounded the global car industry -- when fuel guzzling dinosaurs are relegated to the trash can of Time.
Old 21st February 2008, 08:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Tata seems to be learning very fast from fiat(but 2.2 rules the roost anyday)
Please give them credit where due. The 3.0 engine, the 2.2, the 2.5 petrol and the V6 all began development long before Fiat came into the equation.

But enough of stuff - lets Endeavour to stay on the topic.
Old 21st February 2008, 09:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Finally the right engine for the beast.
I wonder why you say that because the existing "recent" TDCI engine was good enough I thought as far as power was concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
after all who asked for a new 3 lit engine ? when the 2.5 TDCI was fine as far as performance goes..
Exactly my thoughts. They need to address the ride issue real quick & only then will it be a "killer".
Old 21st February 2008, 09:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
I saw the vehicle yesterday and the interiors i must say are no better than the Safari and given the choice between them, would go with the safari. I have made my thoughts known about the Safari's quality, but never expected Ford to try and get away by palming off such interiors for a 20L vehicle!
To each his own but I completely disagree with the above. I am a big Safari fan myself but Endeavour fit and finish and interiors are leagues ahead of
Safari.
Old 21st February 2008, 09:55   #52
Awaiting Email Confirmation

the 2.5 litre engine is brilliant. dont see why the put the 3 litre into it. complete waste of money. they could've spent it on the suspension.

Here's wishful thinking

1. they offer an all rounder model with better ride and highway manners
2 they also offer a true off roader version with the current suspension set up and the 3.0 litre/ and 2.5 liter options

but like I said, wishful thinking.

when did ford ever give India a car that the market demanded?
do they even do market research?
Old 21st February 2008, 10:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
do they even do market research?

FORD INDIA CFO - dude do u know how expensive market research is ?

FORD INDIA MARKETING HEAD - and adding on - very boring too..does not yield any clear results on top of it ..

FORD INDIA CEO - ok , then lets not waste time. lets launch this truck as such and see what happens. we dont have anything to lose. US markets are anyways scr%W$. so no one will ask us any questions..
Old 21st February 2008, 10:20   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hehehehe - just wait until the 160 bhp Tata Safari is launched with the upgraded 3.0 Dicor. And this isnt a rumour.
Safari has great fan following and I too love its looks. But Safari and Endeavour are different segment cars.
Old 21st February 2008, 10:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
But Safari and Endeavour are different segment cars.
EDIT: Topic is better discussed elsewhere.

Last edited by Steeroid : 21st February 2008 at 10:32.
Old 21st February 2008, 10:35   #56
BHPian

I had test drove 2.5 Hurricane variant. We liked super comfortable seats and silky smooth engine that pulled almost like a car. I could compare it with Accent CRDi . But the clutch pedal travel is too long and that was a bit disappointing as it could prove on long drives in city traffic.
Also, it had no driver seat height adjustment feature available and it seems that even this new variant has no such option. Third seat row is really too low for any use at all except for keeping bags.
Old 21st February 2008, 11:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

This must be a aspirational vehicle and must be damn powerful. I think it is priced well selling in pajero's (old one) bracket. The only place where endevuor will loose out to pajero is rear ride quality. This is a tough vehicle and atleast doesnt pretend to be an offroader....It is a off roader!! They must have given LSD atleast which is std in safari 4wd. Size wise it is the king, now power wise too.
Old 21st February 2008, 14:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

Right now, the Endy is pound for pound the real SUV in its segment. But when a player that is a segment below does this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hehehehe - just wait until the 160 bhp Tata Safari is launched with the upgraded 3.0 Dicor. And this isnt a rumour.
Then it would be time for price corrections and maybe even changing strategies and bringing in a soft roader, like this:

Source:Ford Middle East - Edge
Old 25th February 2008, 02:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Heh it still has those lame leaf springs at the rear. Rather than giving more power, they should first fix the suspension. 18 lacs for a vehicle that runs on leaf springs is unforgiveable.

going OT here-

well my friend then you've got the same thinking as me.you are just feeling bad about an 18 lakh suv with leaf spring.

have a look at this,i was left aghast-

any guesses which suv this is?

this was taken at the autoexpo.

i don't know about others but this was my first up close look at this car and i was truely dissapointed after seeing this.

anyone care to shed light on its price in india.
Old 25th February 2008, 03:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

thats the H3. No clues about its price. We keep hearing varying prices for this car.
Closed Thread