Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2008, 19:23   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,618
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And to be able to continue driving your car day-in-and-day-out, A.S.S. happens to be very crucial. If you have to wait for months for a spare to come in, your car will not be driven, but just stay put in the garage.
Maybe Maruti cars are not so reliable & spares go kaput so fast, that you need ASC in every street stocked with all the spares!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 19:38   #47
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

I got for SX4 mainly because of the A.S.S., cheap spare parts compared to Ford.
There may be some ford dealer who is doing a good job, but why take a risk. Fiesta is fun to drive, but at the same time SX4 is also good, where the difference would be marginal. Comparing the space, looks, climate control, steering controls, SX4 wins. I got a 13 km in city with 100% AC, so it is also fuel efficient.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 19:40   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,265
Thanked: 1,233 Times
Default

I am a proud owner of a Fiesta 1.6 sxi since March, 2007. I have no regrets about not waiting for a couple of months more for an SX4.
I rate Fiesta better because of:-
1. More fun to drive due to better handling and acceleration.
2.Better looks (I hate the fat Sumo wrestler look of the SX4).
3.Better visibility---both front and rear, as there is no thick A pillar or raised boot
4. Much better sounding 6 cd player
5. Can seat 3 people in the rear better than an sX4
6.Better gear shift.
7. No niggling problems like gear vibration in 3rd gear, bad clutch, road noise,wheel alignment, etc.
8 Minimal body roll.
9. Better FE
10 Better plastics

Only points where the sx4 scores is the integrated audio controls and better GC. I don't think climate control is a big deal.
Nonetheless, the audio system in the sx4 is lousy,but at least it plays mp3, unlike the Ford.And though the GC in the Fiesta is lower, I have never faced an issue with speed-breakers in Hyd.
This apart, I rate Ford service by Mody Ford in Hyd at par with Maruti Service by Varun Motors.

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th February 2008 at 19:41. Reason: missed a point
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 19:43   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
undead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bhavani - Komarapalayam
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I am a proud owner of a Fiesta 1.6 sxi since March, 2007. I have no regrets about not waiting for a couple of months more for an SX4.
I rate Fiesta better because of:-
1. More fun to drive due to better handling and acceleration.
2.Better looks (I hate the fat Sumo wrestler look of the SX4).
3.Better visibility---both front and rear, as there is no thick A pillar or raised boot
4. Much better sounding 6 cd player
5. Can seat 3 people in the rear better than an sX4
6.Better gear shift.
7. No niggling problems like gear vibration in 3rd gear, bad clutch, road noise,wheel alignment, etc.
8 Minimal body roll.
9. Better FE
10 Better plastics

Only points where the sx4 scores is the integrated audio controls and better GC. I don't think climate control is a big deal.
Nonetheless, the audio system in the sx4 is lousy,but at least it plays mp3, unlike the Ford.And though the GC in the Fiesta is lower, I have never faced an issue with speed-breakers in Hyd.
This apart, I rate Ford service by Mody Ford in Hyd at par with Maruti Service by Varun Motors.

I agree with you man .
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 19:49   #50
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Maybe Maruti cars are not so reliable & spares go kaput so fast, that you need ASC in every street stocked with all the spares!
LOL. I don't know why you got so specific. I did not really mean Fiat in my previous post, when I mentioned about waiting for spares for a month.

Actually, if you give it some serious thought, FIAT is not really wrong in not having more than the 5-6 service centres they have India-wide. Because if you are selling only a few hundred cars, whats the need of having a service network all over the place ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 19:51   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 500 Times
Default

Though a SX4 owner, If I have to buy NOW, I would prefer this current Fiesta 1.6 SXI over SX4 zxi since ABS+EBD, Airbags are at par now. Lookwise, both appeal to me, but Fiesta 1.6 is truly fun to drive and zippy. Talk about being connected to the car, Fiesta scores over SX4. This does not mean drivability in SX4 is bad, but just that Fiesta is a notch above. SX4 do scores over Fiesta in other departments.. so one need a lot to think before deciding between them

Last edited by iTNerd : 20th February 2008 at 19:56.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 19:57   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,265
Thanked: 1,233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Though a SX4 owner, If I have to buy NOW, I would prefer this current Fiesta 1.6 SXI over SX4 zxi since ABS+EBD, Airbags are at par now. Lookwise, both appeal to me, but Fiesta 1.6 is truly fun to drive and zippy. Talk about being connected to the car, Fiesta scores over SX4. This does not mean drivibility in SX4 is bad, but just the Fiesta is a notch above. SX4 do scores over Fiesta in other departments.. so one need a lot to think before deciding between them
A small correction--ABS and EBD were there with the sxi since Mar, 07. Only driver airbag is new.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 20:02   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 500 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
A small correction--ABS and EBD were there with the sxi since Mar, 07. Only driver airbag is new.
thanks for the small correction.. must have got off my mind
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 20:12   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,618
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I don't know why you got so specific. I did not really mean Fiat in my previous post, when I mentioned about waiting for spares for a month.
Where did I mention Fiat in my post? It was about your beloved Maruti!
And why are you dragging Fiat on this Fiesta vs SX4 thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Actually, if you give it some serious thought, FIAT is not really wrong in not having more than the 5-6 service centres they have India-wide.
Get your facts right! There are around 100 Fiat-Tata ASCs across India!

Last edited by finneyp : 20th February 2008 at 20:22.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 20:28   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Looks wise the Fiesta appeals to the subtle sensibilities in contrast to the SX4 which has been made to attract attention (of all kinds).

Drive wise, I have driven a Fiesta 1.6 and its simply superb, comes only second to Cedia in that department. Low speed handling, high speed handling, high speed poise, is a class of its own, people who have driven an Astra can actually vouch for it.

I havn't driven a SX4 so would not comment on that part.

Aftersales service wise, I dont think in that category of a car, there would be much difference, but the peace of mind factor of finding a service center in Ladakh tilts it towards Maruti. Generally After Sales experience is a bigger factor for the indian buyer than the product itself.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 22:36   #56
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,947
Thanked: 16,647 Times
Default

Purely from a driver's point of view- it should be the fiesta over the SX4. However, as an overall package- I'd put my money on the SX4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Maybe Maruti cars are not so reliable & spares go kaput so fast, that you need ASC in every street stocked with all the spares!

Well! For a company that sells around 65,000 cars a month, service stations are needed in every street. Else, you might have a waiting period to get the car serviced.

I've had a very good experience with Maruti service, over last 9 years!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 23:14   #57
BHPian
 
praveen_v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 457
Thanked: 120 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Well! For a company that sells around 65,000 cars a month, service stations are needed in every street. Else, you might have a waiting period to get the car serviced.

I've had a very good experience with Maruti service, over last 9 years!
The maruti service quality has gone down over the years. Since Maruti sells so many cars, they dont have enough dealerships/time to service cars carefully. I have noticed this in my service centre. A couple of years back they will take a test-drive before and after service, check for problems and talk with customers leisurely. But now it's all done in a hurry and no time spent with customer. They look at the vehicle, do some basic checks and take complaint from you and go off.

It is becoming like tata in chennai.. Way too many cars and few dealerships and hence no time for proper serviceing.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 07:01   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallikarjun View Post
After the recent price correction and added standard features like ABS, airbag, indicators on ORVM, 6 CD changer, leather seat covers etc, Fiesta 1.6 SXi is more feature rich now and is cheaper than the Maruti SX4

Fiesta SXi on road in HYD now - 8.05 lakhs
Maruti SX4 Zxi on road in HYD - 8.11 lakhs

Knowing Fiesta's strengths(Exceptional handling, ride, fun to drive etc), do you guys think this will change Ford's fortunes and increase Fiesta sales? Will customers go for the trusted & proven Fiesta?

OR SX4 has what it takes to beat all other C segment cars?
Comments are welcome.....
Fiesta doesn't come with alloy wheels. So if you buy Fiesta and upgrade alloy with better tires, the onroad price will go above SX4.

SX4 come fully loaded and only thing that you might upgrade is the seat covers and speakers (if needed).

In addition to this SX4 has better GC, FE, Auto AC, Glass Antenna, Steering mounted audio controls and Passenger Airbag.

I don't understand the Ford's logic of giving Airbag only to the driver. If anyone buys the car to used with a driver, then the safety of airbag is not there for the car owner.

Since this thread is about value for money, SX4 still wins over Fiesta.
prskumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 09:45   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,018
Thanked: 3,470 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
The maruti service quality has gone down over the years...... A couple of years back they will take a test-drive before and after service, check for problems and talk with customers leisurely. But now it's all done in a hurry and no time spent with customer. They look at the vehicle, do some basic checks and take complaint from you and go off.
Well, for all the flack against Ford and its after-sales, the service advisors at my dealer actually take the car for a test drive with me along, check for problems, and address them, if any. And, its not like they arent hard pressed for time. Despite it, they still do the above.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 09:58   #60
BHPian
 
sriramv.iyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 835
Thanked: 710 Times
Default Ford Saves Life! (3 times!)

Guys:
I have a Ford 1.6 ZXI (also a Swift DDiS (ABS)) - There have been a few incidents where I'd have been severely injured or worse, but for the Ford. Ford's straight line braking (no wallowing) that too in a slippery (after rains) road is awesome!

The car doesnt lose stability even at very high speeds (steering is a tad light at higher speeds (120+)). When a moron (he'd think the same of me for driving fast! The feeling is mutual, I guess!) recently changed lanes without even indicating the lane change when I was behind him, I slammed the brakes hard - But despite excellent braking I hit the rear of the van at a very slow speed and I was deflected towards the median - I steered the vehicle back to road and was cruising seconds later towards chennai. I don't even want to think what would have happened in any other car (save much more expensive ones).

My respect for Ford and the way they implement car dynamics has gone up tremendously. In calculus, we test continuity of a function only at its limits (no point in testing at every valid point of the function) - Same way, normal features like mileage, A.S.S, looks etc are important, but I'll always say that the way the car handles in extreme situations is the most important thing.

SX4 has airbags and I have no idea how it handles in such conditions, but as a happy (and alive) Ford owner, I give two to Ford. My next car will definitely be a Ford (when is the new Mondeo coming? )
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEED Inputs to FINALISE: Fiesta Petrol 1.6 SXi or Diesel 1.4 TDCi SXi. Specific query sachinchavan Sedans 17 26th September 2012 00:00
Pre-owned Mobile Phones? - Excellent Value Proposition?? dvprasad Gadgets, Computers & Software 19 6th April 2011 08:04
fiesta Petrol ZXi-Value for money? gksunil The Indian Car Scene 0 22nd May 2009 17:50
The value for money SX4 now even more value for money-I map navigator free ram_hyundai The Indian Car Scene 20 23rd October 2008 11:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks