Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2008, 03:00   #76
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default

Indica V2 DLS

Even at 80kmph the engine will stand on its toss.. So strained and over taking at highway is a sure risk
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 06:59   #77
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kollam/France
Posts: 38
Thanked: Once
Default

My Don’t buy car would be : Any model from TATA.

Owned a TATA Sierra Turbo, the very next day I took the vehicle from the showroom, there was water dripping in the cabin, water leaking into the headlamps and tail lamps. Gap between the headlamp and bonnet (different on right and left sides). Within a week the Power steering fluid started leaking. A/C didnt work if it the switch was used multiple times…. I could go on an on ..Comon guys , I wasn’t expecting this from a brand new vehicle.

I owned this vehicle for 5 Years, on the 4th year my dad bought a Toyota Qualis ( one of the very first models) , it was then I realised how badly I was being tortured by the Sierra. Till date the only time I have seen my dad’s Quails in the workshop is for it routine service ( done every 5000km). Now, that’s what I call built to Quality.

I could be easily dragged into an argument for – why I mentioned ‘Any Model from TATA’. Though I have mentioned above my experience with my Sierra, I am not limited to just one. Of all the TATA vehicles I have driven, be it Indica, Safari, Estate, two things that go for the negative for these vehicles are – Reliability and Build Quality (I specifically mean fit and finish).
ajibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 12:46   #78
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and love of a car/brand in the budget/head/heart of the owner

@ ajibba; seems you should checkout the newer Tatas instead on being stuck with a decision you made 10years back.
Evolve.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:08   #79
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and love of a car/brand in the budget/head/heart of the owner

@ ajibba; seems you should checkout the newer Tatas instead on being stuck with a decision you made 10years back.
Evolve.
I reviewed new safari, Tata Indica Dicor, Indogo CS. I doubt if Tata will close the panel gaps, use Quality Plastics etc even in 2015.
Especially I just laughed at the panel gaps in Indica Dicor (Is there any aerodynamics involved )

I am Sure, you can never expect the same look and feel, finish from Tata when they release Nano. What you see now is a only a Beautiful Model. :-)

If you say the Quality of Tata Sumo grande inside plastics are good, then probably you have never peeked into any other cars. Even Ambassador is better.

Tata motors has a different meaning for the word Build quality.

If one buys a Tata vehicle, its perhaps for any other reason, and not for the Look, Quality etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Well, I bought an indica, and havent found a reason to regret it......yet
When did you buy that? How long have you been driving it?

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd March 2008 at 12:51. Reason: Please don't multi-post. Use the multiquote button to respond to multiple members' posts.
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:21   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,839
Thanked: 1,319 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
If one buys a Tata vehicle, its perhaps for any other reason, and not for the Look, Quality etc.
Why? While its not stunning, i found the 2007 indica redesign quite pleasing !. Absolute quality, may not be, but VFM? absolutely . for < 4.5L, i got a rugged , spacious vehicle, adequate power , safety, economy & torque of a diesel,cheap and widely available spares and service and reasonably solid body panels for a good ICE install.
What other alternatives do i have ?
But yes, buying a tata vehicle is a matter of mind over heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
When did you buy that? How long have you been driveing it?
May 07. 9000k so far .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...0k-report.html for more

Last edited by greenhorn : 2nd March 2008 at 22:29. Reason: Two smiley rule
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:27   #81
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Why? While its not stunning, i found the 2007 indica redesign quite pleasing . Absolute quality, may not be, but VFM? absolutely . for < 4.5L, i got a rugged , spacious vehicle, adequate power , safety, economy & torque of a diesel,cheap and widely available spares and service and reasonably solid body panels for a good ICE install.
What other alternatives do i have ?
But yes, buying a tata vehicle is a matter of mind over heart


May 07. 9000k so far .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...0k-report.html for more
Its a VFM car, But the question is Quality. The other small cars in this segment is much more good Qualitywise. Santro, i10, wagaon R, Swift, Getz are certainly much more superior in quality, and look (of course it is individual).

I would like to see your ownership report after 25,000 and 40,000. :-)
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 03:48   #82
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 69
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Any car from Land Rover.
For the simple fact that it will force them to drop prices and i will be able to afford the Range Rover Sport. The one which very nearly one against the Challenger tank on Top Gear.

Seriously though would definitely stay away from the 800 now especially since alto is very near to its pricing. Also the Omni. Somehow looking at either I can only see images of the horrible accidents on the highways. Especially the Omni, one which i had seen at the Ghaziabad turn on delhi hapur highway with its top sheared away and also the death of the three people in front.
hell_raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 07:56   #83
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ERNAKULAM
Posts: 947
Thanked: 317 Times
Default Some international musings

Check out the cars that the international community consider to be the worst.
Looks like they have not heard of the Junkindica that I own.
11 worst cars - Consumer Reports - Toyota Yaris (base, manual transmission) (7) - CNNMoney.com

The Aveo hatch and the YARIS features in it.
Bye and wear your seat belts
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 08:29   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I reviewed new safari, Tata Indica Dicor, Indogo CS. I doubt if Tata will close the panel gaps, use Quality Plastics etc even in 2015.
Especially I just laughed at the panel gaps in Indica Dicor (Is there any aerodynamics involved )

I am Sure, you can never expect the same look and feel, finish from Tata when they release Nano. What you see now is a only a Beautiful Model. :-)

If you say the Quality of Tata Sumo grande inside plastics are good, then probably you have never peeked into any other cars. Even Ambassador is better.

Tata motors has a different meaning for the word Build quality.

If one buys a Tata vehicle, its perhaps for any other reason, and not for the Look, Quality etc.
While i completely agree with you i would like to bring in another perspective of this. TATA makes Cheap cars that are cheap to buy and to maintain. Look at cars like the Indica for example. It is bigger than any other car that comes at that price. It is cheaper to maintain. (unless you get stuck with something like our poor Dr.!!) I mean the normal servicing is cheap. Take a look at the Safari. How much more would you have to pay for such look vehicles from another brand? Even the Sumo starts much low than its competitors. The Grande looks awesome and generations ahead when you compare it with the older sumo. Not with an Innova or even a Scorpio.

TATA has been making cars just for around 10-15 years. I guess the evolution has been pretty fast when i drive the new safari 2.2 and the Sumo Grande and the Indica DiCOR. TATA is not a luxury brand. It is a economy brand. Just like you cant expect frills on a low cost airline. I think you should not expect very good fit and finish quality in a TATA.

Believe me. TATA has evolved very much since its original Indica. One thing i like about TATA is its aggressive changing. How many manufacturers give consumers so much changes woth every passing month. Be it looks, or engine technology (even the INdica DiCOR has undergone changes and is not the same DiCOR that was in the Indigo). I remember the 800 and Alto being the same for years. I remember the UNO looking the same ever since it was launched. Even the Palio got its facelift after how many years. What about the Santro. How long has it been like that. Now dont tell me that they are perfect and dont need any changes. Orcourse TATA is camparatively very bad in terms of Quality Consistency. But i guess you pay only that much.

Last edited by gemithomas : 3rd March 2008 at 08:32.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:29   #85
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 344
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
The Aveo hatch and the YARIS features in it.
Also the Optra (Suzuki Forenza there)
alto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 11:31   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
The Aveo hatch and the YARIS features in it.
Bye and wear your seat belts

What's are the YARIS features?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 12:30   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,582
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Out of the Consumer Reports' list, we have two vehicles in India (Optra and Aveo). Aveo's lack of acceleration and handling might not be a big problem in India. But the Optra has some safety issues listed out inspite of airbags.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 16:00   #88
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kollam/France
Posts: 38
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and love of a car/brand in the budget/head/heart of the owner

@ ajibba; seems you should checkout the newer Tatas instead on being stuck with a decision you made 10years back.
Evolve.

Hey Jkdas,

I do agree beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, and that’s one of the reasons I stick to the statement of “MY’ don’t buy car.

I don’t know from where you got this weird idea that I made this decision 10 yeas back, are you a part time astrologist?? In that case you need to go through you hand book a couple of times more, because you got it wrong mate

For Beauty I would give Tata’s an Above avarege – if that’s what people are looking in a car. For me I look for Quality, and Quality of me is ‘0 PPM’. Name me one car by Tatas which has 0 PPM, this is the reason why they cant sell the so called “Newer TATAs” in the international markets

Why do you think the Tatas cant penetrate into the European , UK or US markets??? The Indica model introduced by Tata in tie up with MG rover in UK is the cheapest car available in the market, but still it cant sell, know why just because of the built Quality.


I want TATA to be the No 1 car manufactures in the world, honestly I adore them and the only way they can do it is by pumping up the Quality..and that is the only way. How do you thing Toyota is No 1 today??? They only reason being they focused on quality. Of course even Mercs and Lexus has had engine problem in the first couple of days on their brand new cars..but how many of them we heard of ?

But for Tatas, show me five owners of any model from TATA who didn’t have any issue in the first 10000km. by Issues I mean , rattling, missing & broken parts, parts flying off in the first couple of days , cardboards in the engine bay, air gushing in the cabin at high speeds, water leaks..etc.

I don’t know how someone can say that a Tata vehicle is cheap? Is it because of the Initial Purchase price? In the long run how may times are you going to end up in the workshop, changing parts, break downs ? The time you lose, the alternate means you resort to, all ads up the expense and at the end the resale value. I bought the Sierra for 5 lakh + and sold it for 1.5 lkh after 5 years. Now , I own a Toyota Qualis RS bought it for 8 lkh + and even now Toyota company is ready to take back the vehicle at 7 lkhs, now that’s what VFM for me.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd March 2008 at 16:12. Reason: Fixed Quote Tag
ajibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 16:34   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,839
Thanked: 1,319 Times
Default

I certainly havent had any of the issues you have mentioned so far, the only rattling i had was due to a shoddy accessory shop job, which the TASC has since fixed.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 17:13   #90
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kollam/France
Posts: 38
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I certainly havent had any of the issues you have mentioned so far, the only rattling i had was due to a shoddy accessory shop job, which the TASC has since fixed.
Quote:
There was this sewing machine like sound when the engine was started after a while. they said it was a timing belt issue , and claimed it was sorted out. It wasnt there when we got it back from the TASC, but today morning , the sound was back. Anyway, it goes a while
Greenhorn you had some issue with the timing belt. were you able to sort out why the sound was popping in at intervals?
ajibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Good day, I am interested in a test drive"...."Sorry sir, we don't have a car for TD" Dippy Indian Car Dealerships 187 16th December 2017 10:15
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
"Dont buy BMWs & Audis":Jairam Ramesh n.devdath The Indian Car Scene 147 16th January 2011 17:56
Would you buy the "same car" with "Same Color" as your immediate neighbour? cool.aquarian The Indian Car Scene 39 12th November 2010 13:57
My car doors dont "pause" while opening! DCEite Technical Stuff 7 1st June 2006 13:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:26.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks