Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 10:09   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default Your "Dont Buy" Car

Well. I searched all around and found lots of people asking not to buy one car or the other. Just thought it would of help to a new car buyer if we could put our personal opinions on which cars Not to buy. Please also mention clearly the reason for a "Dont Buy" tag.

Here is my "Dont Buy Car". I know i'm gonna get killed for this.

Code Name:
Maruti Swift LDi

Reason:
- No essential features including even rear wiper (highly necessary for hatches)
- No steering adjustment (i expect that in a hatch at the 5L range)
- Highly mismatching tyres (i think atleast 70% of owners go straight to the accesory shop for an upgrade)
- All Black interiors (Personally i felt it very boring within 5 mins of drive)
- Harsh low speed ride.
- No Rear Parcel Tray!!!! (Common Man. Is 5L so cheap??)
- Rattles Rattles and More Rattles (Well not sure if it has change in new models but that was what i felt in the 3 test drive vehicles (2 Brand new ones waiting for delivery and 1 Test Drive Vehicle))
- Ask for something as small as a digital clock and they'll say its not there on the LDi
- The rear seats are not at all comfortable and is very cramped for long trips. 5 is really a crowd here!



Disclaimer: Everything in this thread is personal opinion based on individual priorities or experiences. There is no intention to down grade or uphold any particular brand/car/person.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,316 Times
Default

And I shall add the Palio Stile 1.1 to that list , the reasons for which have been extensively discussed here !
gemithomas' disclaimers apply to my post too, and lets not start a flame war !

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th February 2008 at 10:17.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:15   #3
BHPian
 
gendarmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: India
Posts: 731
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

I don't look at any car with a negative eye.
If I have a set of bare necessities i would rather look at a car i that has those, instead of cribbing about a dozen which don't have them.
Then again, my list would be basic & VFM for the segment & i wouldn't expect a car to have every known feature, not to forget 10 years ago no/few Indian cars had power steering.

Last edited by gendarmee : 29th February 2008 at 10:18.
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:18   #4
BHPian
 
rranjith_kum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Coimbatore/ Aachen
Posts: 693
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
- Ask for something as small as a digital clock and they'll say its not there on the LDi
My friend didn't get it in VDi also ... not by the courtesy of the dealer too ... no freebies
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:29   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
undead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bhavani - Komarapalayam
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

IMO , right now i can say Swift Ldi , i hope i dont take back this decision after the dezire is launched .
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:35   #6
BHPian
 
jaibir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 317
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Mine is the Santro (provided you're above 5'6" in height). The engine is good but the driving position is so cramped that just five minutes of driving nearly gave me arthritis. Hyundai seems to have something against letting people push the seat back - even the dinky 800 provides more space to try and straighten your legs.

the disclaimer from the first post holds.
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:43   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Mine could be a stretch. Even if I had the money, I would not buy Bentleys/Maybachs/Lamborghinis etc, as I consider them as extreme self-indulgence.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:46   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,250
Thanked: 1,241 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Well. I searched all around and found lots of people asking not to buy one car or the other. Just thought it would of help to a new car buyer if we could put our personal opinions on which cars Not to buy. Please also mention clearly the reason for a "Dont Buy" tag.

Here is my "Dont Buy Car". I know i'm gonna get killed for this.

Code Name:
Maruti Swift LDi

Reason:
- No essential features including even rear wiper (highly necessary for hatches)
- No steering adjustment (i expect that in a hatch at the 5L range)
- Highly mismatching tyres (i think atleast 70% of owners go straight to the accesory shop for an upgrade)
- All Black interiors (Personally i felt it very boring within 5 mins of drive)
- Harsh low speed ride.
- No Rear Parcel Tray!!!! (Common Man. Is 5L so cheap??)
- Rattles Rattles and More Rattles (Well not sure if it has change in new models but that was what i felt in the 3 test drive vehicles (2 Brand new ones waiting for delivery and 1 Test Drive Vehicle))
- Ask for something as small as a digital clock and they'll say its not there on the LDi
- The rear seats are not at all comfortable and is very cramped for long trips. 5 is really a crowd here!



Disclaimer: Everything in this thread is personal opinion based on individual priorities or experiences. There is no intention to down grade or uphold any particular brand/car/person.
You forgot the rear window demister! Not in the VDi as well neither optional! Shows the importance given to safety by MSIL.
@Gemithomas: And you did read my mind with the other points here about the LDi!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:56   #9
BHPian
 
ece2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 476
Thanked: 253 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Well. I searched all around and found lots of people asking not to buy one car or the other. Just thought it would of help to a new car buyer if we could put our personal opinions on which cars Not to buy. Please also mention clearly the reason for a "Dont Buy" tag.

Here is my "Dont Buy Car". I know i'm gonna get killed for this.

Code Name:
Maruti Swift LDi

Reason:
- No essential features including even rear wiper (highly necessary for hatches)
- No steering adjustment (i expect that in a hatch at the 5L range)
- Highly mismatching tyres (i think atleast 70% of owners go straight to the accesory shop for an upgrade)
- All Black interiors (Personally i felt it very boring within 5 mins of drive)
- Harsh low speed ride.
- No Rear Parcel Tray!!!! (Common Man. Is 5L so cheap??)
- Rattles Rattles and More Rattles (Well not sure if it has change in new models but that was what i felt in the 3 test drive vehicles (2 Brand new ones waiting for delivery and 1 Test Drive Vehicle))
- Ask for something as small as a digital clock and they'll say its not there on the LDi
- The rear seats are not at all comfortable and is very cramped for long trips. 5 is really a crowd here!



Disclaimer: Everything in this thread is personal opinion based on individual priorities or experiences. There is no intention to down grade or uphold any particular brand/car/person.
Gemi,

All the above points holds good for Swift VDi too - well except for the all black interiors. Btw, I am not saying this since I took Swift LDi delivery y'day

I would say that we should all avoid Fiat cars till TASS service advisors atleast know about the Fiat car - am not bothered if the mechanics lack knowledge, as it is true with almost all the brands, but service advisors should be good enough.

- SKB.
ece2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 10:59   #10
BHPian
 
sqwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, USA
Posts: 59
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
You forgot the rear window demister! Not in the VDi as well neither optional! Shows the importance given to safety by MSIL.
That is criminal!Not that I have anything against the car.
sqwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 11:35   #11
BHPian
 
windsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dundee, UK
Posts: 513
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

M 800, OMNI for safety reasons. Either make them safe or discontinue. People buy it for city usage and end up taking it on high ways without realizing the consequences.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 12:07   #12
BHPian
 
krazydriver84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kolkata + Gurgaon
Posts: 426
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
M 800, OMNI for safety reasons. Either make them safe or discontinue. People buy it for city usage and end up taking it on high ways without realizing the consequences.


I would disagree with you on one topic. I feel that the 800 is quite safe and I drive mostly on the highway. its how you tame her.

Regarding OMNI, Yes brother I agree with you 200% that it is one of the most dangerous cars around and seriously a 'DONT BUY' car. I have seen people getting squashed because of the absence of a crumple zone in the front, and it is too tall a car to have such small tyres.
krazydriver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 12:16   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,650
Thanked: 6,662 Times
Default

The only car I would not buy is my own, cause I already own it.

personally I don't like this thread!

It has nothing that is not already discussed and contains a great potential for a flame war.
In general, one has a set of constraints and then compares which car matches most of them and buy it.
If he cannot afford the features, then the seconds market is checked.

But to just dismiss a car one does not like and speak ill of it.
I don't like it.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 12:21   #14
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,578
Thanked: 120 Times
Default

my dont buy car is the omni.. its literally a box on wheels and in an event of a crash frm the front. ur legs are gng to get hurt first.

if India had the law for safety as the US ppl do.. this box on wheels would have discountinued way long ago.
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 12:24   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The only car I would not buy is my own, cause I already own it.

personally I don't like this thread!

It has nothing that is not already discussed and contains a great potential for a flame war.
In general, one has a set of constraints and then compares which car matches most of them and buy it.
If he cannot afford the features, then the seconds market is checked.

But to just dismiss a car one does not like and speak ill of it.
I don't like it.
Hey! Thats not the intention. Every car has goods and bads. Simmilarly every person has his priorities. Thats why the title itself says "Your". It is a personal choice and personal opinion which depends on what your priorities are. The thread is intended to give you insights to other ways of looking at a particular car.

For example though "my" dont buy car is the swift Ldi. There mught be someone who feels that its the best in the market becuase of its engine, mileage, price, A.S.S, shape. If those are his priorities and he does not bother about what i mentioned in the first post, its his choice. But this thread would make him aware the other way of looking at things. i think it would help in a more informed decision.

Last edited by gemithomas : 29th February 2008 at 12:29.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Good day, I am interested in a test drive"...."Sorry sir, we don't have a car for TD" Dippy Indian Car Dealerships 182 14th December 2017 02:35
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
"Dont buy BMWs & Audis":Jairam Ramesh n.devdath The Indian Car Scene 147 16th January 2011 17:56
Would you buy the "same car" with "Same Color" as your immediate neighbour? cool.aquarian The Indian Car Scene 39 12th November 2010 13:57
My car doors dont "pause" while opening! DCEite Technical Stuff 7 1st June 2006 13:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks