Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2008, 21:07   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Is this the writing on the wall for Shell? Are they going the same way as Reliance? I don't see how they can survive with the current scenario and strategy. It seems unlikely that the public will shell-out (no pun intended) extra hard-earned lucre just because their service is superior, and even if their fuel is proven better and more consistent, it's hardly a deciding factor.
Hi netchef,

Have tried Shell Diesel in my cars only to find it gives me less mileage than the IOC super Diesel which also costs less..

Now you tell me if Shell is better..Its like looking at a sexy chick who is good as long as she does not open her mouth!!
headers is offline  
Old 21st April 2008, 12:48   #92
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi netchef,

Have tried Shell Diesel in my cars only to find it gives me less mileage than the IOC super Diesel which also costs less..

Now you tell me if Shell is better..Its like looking at a sexy chick who is good as long as she does not open her mouth!!
Hello headers: I hear you but shall refrain from taking a stand as I haven't any metrics to go by, not having done any comparatives.

So, I don't know if Shell is better...BUT I like your analogy.
netchef is offline  
Old 21st April 2008, 14:28   #93
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 399
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Now its Rs.59.60 at Chennai. I'm feeling like a sucker every time I pass a BP booth, displaying the price as 7 rupees less.
The queue has gone down quite a bit at Shell nowadays.
ballkey is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:53   #94
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

...The queue has gone down quite a bit at Shell nowadays.[/quote]

vox populii
netchef is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:07   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Its a complete waste filling at Shell now, its been very long since i have filled at Shell...and is very evident that the price hike has not gone well with the masses!

Hardly any crowd at shell these days, this way they will head the reliance way someday
lohithrao is online now  
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:48   #96
kph
BHPian
 
kph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 147
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Have tried Shell Diesel in my cars only to find it gives me less mileage
Same here. Shell diesel gives less mileage and petrol gives no extra mileage compared to the rest. That's my experience. Used to fill from Shell just because of the belief that they wont do manipulation on quantity. But stopped visiting them when Shell price went sky high. Same thing happened with Reliance too. I used to be a regular customer to Reliance fuel when on high ways. But gone are those days..
kph is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:08   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,489
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Personally I'd prefer IOC anyday!! The bunk near your house is GOOD!
Yup filling up IOC regular only lately.. gives the car a bit of kick at the high end but in traffic I find the car jerks a bit. Have to experiment with IOC premium


Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Now its Rs.59.60 at Chennai. I'm feeling like a sucker every time I pass a BP booth, displaying the price as 7 rupees less.
The queue has gone down quite a bit at Shell nowadays.
Thats the reason I posted the price earlier. I remember filling up for 57.80 and a week later it went to 58.80.. and now according to you its 59.60. weekly increase I guess ?
bottle is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:17   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
Chevy_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Köln
Posts: 1,209
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

I think it is a waste of money paying about 7 rupees more for one litre of Petrol. I do not think mileage increases so much, to justify the increase in price.

I always stick to HP and BP, that too normal fuel.
Chevy_lover is offline  
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:31   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,586
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default

i have been using Shell till now.. yesterday it was more than Rs54 (diesel).. i don't know the mileage improvements because i have only used Shell ever since i bought the car. Shell service is fantastic and this service alone made me stay loyal to Shell till now.. i dread going to HP/IOC after experiencing Shell.. i was thinking I will use Shell till they close down but they are hanging in there and increasing the price every week.

Which is the best alternative for Shell Diesel in Bangalore among these areas? Thanks.

Koramangala Forum
Museum road (catholic club)
St.Marks Road (Bowring club)
Palace Road (Mount Carmel College)
Sankey Road (Cauvery theater, Sankey tank)
IISc
Metro Yeshwantapur
West Chord road (ISKCON Temple)

Last edited by androdev : 22nd April 2008 at 15:32.
androdev is online now  
Old 22nd April 2008, 16:09   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

depends on which car you drive. However, I would not wish to pay a Premium in price for Shell or Reliance - you must have read that Reliance is shutting down the Petroleum Retail operations completely - it s already happened in many places.

The last few years Ive been filling Diesel predominantly at HP Gas on St Johns Hospital Road/Hosur Road corner. I use Turbojet normally.
Now in my new vehicle I continue to fill at the same outlet.
Until now, no trouble at all.
There is one more outlet that I trust - the HP one on the Airport Road.


Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
i have been using Shell till now.. yesterday it was more than Rs54 (diesel).. i don't know the mileage improvements because i have only used Shell ever since i bought the car. Shell service is fantastic and this service alone made me stay loyal to Shell till now.. i dread going to HP/IOC after experiencing Shell.. i was thinking I will use Shell till they close down but they are hanging in there and increasing the price every week.

Which is the best alternative for Shell Diesel in Bangalore among these areas? Thanks.

Koramangala Forum
Museum road (catholic club)
St.Marks Road (Bowring club)
Palace Road (Mount Carmel College)
Sankey Road (Cauvery theater, Sankey tank)
IISc
Metro Yeshwantapur
West Chord road (ISKCON Temple)
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 6th May 2008, 17:01   #101
BHPian
 
sary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Goa
Posts: 173
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Guys, Petrol @ Shell on whitefield road cost 62.XX Per lt... I have got a new Honda Aviator and planning to use a standard fuel at-least for next few months. I want to know the premium paid on Shell pump goes to its service provided or the quality of fuel delivered or is it the subsidy which we pay to the govt indirectly.

I am considering HP Power now, please advice!
sary is offline  
Old 6th May 2008, 22:01   #102
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

sary definitely not worth....I would recommend BP or IO use normal fuel...
lohithrao is online now  
Old 6th May 2008, 22:19   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

I stoped using Shell since they started increasing the price from 54.XX and tried IOC normal and BP speed. Both are ok but innova makes more noise.

Now tried HP normal for Innova and Matiz. Its company owned bunk in Magadi road near toll gate. I know many of my friends and relatives using this Bunk from many years. I hope its good.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline  
Old 6th May 2008, 22:27   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hubli
Posts: 111
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I stoped using Shell since they started increasing the price from 54.XX and tried IOC normal and BP speed. Both are ok but innova makes more noise.

Now tried HP normal for Innova and Matiz. Its company owned bunk in Magadi road near toll gate. I know many of my friends and relatives using this Bunk from many years. I hope its good.

Regards,

Ravi.
Most of the day time its painful to drive to this bunk on Magadi road. It would be better to plan for an early morning/late night fills.
girish.r is offline  
Old 6th May 2008, 23:13   #105
BHPian
 
neoranjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 588
Thanked: 191 Times
Default

there was an article in TOI, Chennai today that shell was planning to shut down a few bunks in south india. Not sure if S.India includes Blr as well.
neoranjit is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a second hand Opel Corsa (8 year old), Is it worth paying 1.5 Lac? carlover98 Sedans 80 10th November 2011 22:14
Shell Petrol: 56.25 in Bangalore: worth it still? nssrini Street Experiences 3 13th March 2008 11:50
Is it worth paying extra? talkingpebbles Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 32 13th October 2006 18:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:15.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks