Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th October 2008, 11:12   #241
BHPian

I appreciate Fiesta's highway cruising abilities. Last week i drove in NH-4 (Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore) with full load (5 people + luggage) in my Fiesta TDCi, i really enjoyed driving this car. I was constantly hitting 110-120 Kmph range and reached Chennai in 5 hrs. While coming back, i started around 2.45 PM and reached bangalore around 7 PM. Amazingly, i got a mileage of 22 with 100% AC. Unbeleivable!!

I also feel this car is little under powered in city driving (low RPM issues).
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 11:32   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford's 1.4 TDCi engine looks older by almost a generation, when compared to the MJD. That 1.3 MJD delivers higher power & torque with a lower displacement. One more reason for Ford to move the 1.4 TDCi to the Ikon and get a newer & contemporary engine into the Fiesta.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 02:30   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Default November Launch ?

Central Chronicle--Business

Report's dated oct 2, 2008.
Quote:
The US-based giant will also unveil its refurbished Ikon by next month to expand its range of offerings in the country that includes Fusion, Endeavour and Fiesta, said Michael Boneham, managing director and president of Ford India
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 09:46   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

But is the 1.4 TDCi a worthy buy? How expensive will it be given the Fusion is 6.7 and how painful are harpreet ford (decent workshop!) and expensive spares? (comparing with the likes of 12000 palio bumper)!

/who is ultra pained by MSIL's endless waiting time.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 11:23   #245
Senior - BHPian

@Condor- Yup Facelift Ikon will come in Nov. I think that news was confirmed when Facelift Fiesta had come. But im quite surprised no news of 1.6 TDCI.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 13:02   #246
BHPian

Well, the engines is really good for average driver which returns phenominal milage, but w.r.t driving pleasure it lacks power at low rpm

i guess ikon will be around 7.75 to 8Lacs TDCi
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But is the 1.4 TDCi a worthy buy? How expensive will it be given the Fusion is 6.7 and how
TheHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 15:34   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post
Well, the engines is really good for average driver which returns phenominal milage, but w.r.t driving pleasure it lacks power at low rpm

Phamilyman,
If you are looking at a boot car and a good resale value too, then I would suggest go for a TDCi rather than the Fusion. You would get the good storage in Fusion too, but the resale will surely worry a lot in later part of your and car's life.
Yes, The Horse mentioned, it does lack the low end power, but is good in highways. You should not be worried too much on this, since I believe yo u were looking at Swift VDi and are in deep pain with their delayed deliveries.
anup7649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 19:29   #248
BHPian

I disagree! The TDCi engine has enough grunt for the city while it struggles on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
it does lack the low end power, but is good in highways. You should not be worried too much on this, since I believe yo u were looking at Swift VDi and are in deep pain with their delayed deliveries.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 20:47   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post
Can't be that much; why would anyone buy it over the Fiesta in that case?
I guess it would be more in the ~5.5L range.
Crazy_Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 21:44   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I disagree! The TDCi engine has enough grunt for the city while it struggles on the highway.
I endorse this view 100%. I had a tough time overtaking a Fiesta TDCi with my 1.6 Fiesta when the traffic lights turned green. I literally had to step on the gas to get past the diesel Fiesta on the steep incline after Jubilee Hills Check Post on the road to Hitech city. I could overtake it only after 500 metres or so.
As regards the Swift MJD, I've never driven it, so cannot comment. But I've read numerous posts on this forum that though it is apparently more fun to drive than its petrol counterpart, it does suffer from lack of low end grunt, below a certain rpm that I don't readily recall.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 21:59   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I endorse this view 100%. I had a tough time overtaking a Fiesta TDCi with my 1.6 Fiesta when the traffic lights turned green. I literally had to step on the gas to get past the diesel Fiesta on the steep incline after Jubilee Hills Check Post on the road to Hitech city. I could overtake it only after 500 metres or so.
As regards the Swift MJD, I've never driven it, so cannot comment. But I've read numerous posts on this forum that though it is apparently more fun to drive than its petrol counterpart, it does suffer from lack of low end grunt, below a certain rpm that I don't readily recall.
Depends when you try to catch up, the Fiesta 1.6S has a 0-100 of approx 11.5sec and the 1.4TDCi has a 0-100 figure of approx 17.5sec, 6 sec is quite a bit, but then again the 1.4TDCi has matching 20-80 figures to the 1.6, so if it's a signal the 1.6 should beat it quick, if it's already in motion then it's a close match.
autoenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 00:29   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I agree.
We have a fiesta TDCi and the 20-80 and 40-100 timings are similar to the Verna's.
In daily traffic, this car is a hoot to drive.
My friend had a tough time keeping up with a Fiesta TDCi in his Accord V6 but that was in somewhat light-moderate traffic.
I am pretty sure that a 90BHP Fiesta D would be able to beat the Verna on a good day or atleast give it a good fight on a drag strip while outperforming it in traffic and even on a curvy road.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 01:28   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Depends when you try to catch up, the Fiesta 1.6S has a 0-100 of approx 11.5sec and the 1.4TDCi has a 0-100 figure of approx 17.5sec, 6 sec is quite a bit, but then again the 1.4TDCi has matching 20-80 figures to the 1.6, so if it's a signal the 1.6 should beat it quick, if it's already in motion then it's a close match.
Even in motion it isn't a close match. The 20-80 figure that you point out is at a specific gear (3rd or 4th). If you are driving a car with the intention of accelerating fastest, you would hardly be in that gear at that speed.

With the Petrol you would get a wider pulling range in each gear. I have experienced both the Fiesta 1.4 TDCI and the Fiesta 1.6 thats how I know. Infact even the Fiesta 1.4 petrol would beat the TDCI if both are driven at the right gears.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 12:03   #254
BHPian

I think most of the guys wouldn't mind losing out in race with TDCi compared to vernaor Accord V6
But certainly Fiesta TDCi should be given 1.6 engine, that 90 bhp with improved torque would be idle that too without compromising on FE
TheHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 12:29   #255
Senior - BHPian

Excellent points but with the awesome road conditions and traffic, where and when do you guys think the prospective owners would be racing ?
Plus most of us arent really road racers so its more to do with practicality coupled with once in a while highway fun.

Last edited by sammyboy : 10th October 2008 at 12:30.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote