Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th March 2008, 13:42   #31
BHPian

@Amohit, great that I found this thread. I was planning to pen down something similar with my queries on the topic. I hope my queries do justice to the title of thread.If not, MODS, please remove it from this thread.

I was also planning to put my wife for driving classes and spoke with Maruti Driving School at BIMAL, Indiranagar minutes back.They have given the following details:

- 1 month training which includes 10 hrs of theory, 5 hrs of simulator training and 15 hrs of practical training.

- Car given for the training are Wagon R / Alto / Esteem;all with AC. Training in Wagon R/ Alto costs Rs.4500/- and in Esteem it is Rs.5000/-;

- Timings can be opted between 6.30 - 9.30 AM ( I enquired about the slot in the morning since my wifey is working).

- For practical training (On-road training) sessions, we need to go to their office; no pick-up and drop from your home / nearest point.

- Learners License and Driving License will cost additional 500/-.

Now, the basic question I have is : Is it really worth for the money they are charging?
I have heard about many driving schools who are professionally 'ok' to train a learner,charge around 2.5k including LL & DL and also offer pick-up and drop facility from your door step.

So, what do you guys think about my options?

Last edited by menonrajesh : 11th March 2008 at 13:58.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 18:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot for your post Menonrajesh.

Is there any MDS near Jayanagar area ? And will I have to go to Indiranagar for the theory lessons ?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 18:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
Is there any MDS near Jayanagar area ? And will I have to go to Indiranagar for the theory lessons ?
MDS is in Indiranagar (BIMAL) and Yeshwantpur ( RNS) according to their website. The link is Maruti Driving School
For theory lessons, we will have to go the respective MDS.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 18:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

MDS is better than most other driving schools in my opinion. I learned driving myself all in 2007. My wife has a license from 2001 but not even able to park properly. We spent around 50k to get her Gulf license, through proper driving schools there. But recently I found her parking skills are as good as nothing. Only choice was to take the advanced learning course with MDS. I too joined for giving company to her. We found the theory and practicals very useful. Simulator also gives some fearless approach to the steering wheel. Wife is finding it very useful, atleast it has enhanced her confidence levels. So, go for MDS !!
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 20:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
MDS is better than most other driving schools in my opinion. I learned driving myself all in 2007. My wife has a license from 2001 but not even able to park properly. We spent around 50k to get her Gulf license, through proper driving schools there. But recently I found her parking skills are as good as nothing. Only choice was to take the advanced learning course with MDS. I too joined for giving company to her. We found the theory and practicals very useful. Simulator also gives some fearless approach to the steering wheel. Wife is finding it very useful, atleast it has enhanced her confidence levels. So, go for MDS !!
But it's very very far and not practical for me and my sis to travel so far.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 23:13   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

The simulator is going to be an expensive piece of equipment to finance. That is going to put the price up.

Apart from that, the question is it worth it? can only be answered from experience. We have heard of driving instructors (how about the drunk?) who probably shouldn't be driving, let alone instructing. If MDS are maintaining quality it should be worth it.

Learning to drive should be a once-in-life-time experience, it really is worth investing in.

There is a MDS at Velacherry in Chennai; that is closer to us than Mylapore, and I am impressed so far, so if my wife takes it up again (and I wish that she does, even if only to be able to take the wheel in an emergency) then I'm for giving them a try.

If it works out, I might even try the advanced course!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 19:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

@Thad_E_Ginathom, please do - just because I see the vehicles here (In Cochin) are well maintained.

I think the their fees are about 1/3 to 1/4 higher than other driving schools.

The franchisee is given to a Maruti Dealer, according to the website, and the Cochin school is operated by Popular. We did not opt for it coz. it is pretty far away (traffic congestion wise).

BTW, for the guys/gals who have tried out MDS - what vehicles do they provide to give training on two wheelers?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 09:53   #38
BHPian

@backseatdriver

they are not teaching 2 wheelers. for 4w - alto wagonr and esteem.
--
though they advertise AC cars and all , i didnt find any in bimal mds ,bangalore.
but i liked the classes inspite of the higher fee. theory classes are really good.
they have a syllabus and will teach you parking, driving in incline , changing tyres etc
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 14:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Would always recommend learning at Maruti driving school based on my wife's experience. She learned driving from local training school 3 years back & had got her driving licence, but was never confident of driving on roads. After she re-learned driving at MDS, she has become confident enough not only to drive on city roads but also on highways like NH4, expressway.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:40   #40
BHPian

Hi, sorry to rake up this thread after a year and more...
But I did find the posts here very helpful, as I need a refresher course. I got my driving license in 2000. I joined Mani Motor Driving School to learn driving. Of course, I was commuting by bike, so knew the rules of the road already. Plus, my first bike was my dad's 1971 Lambretta, which I used during my college years...there are no indicators on a Lambretta, so you become adept at showing hand signals when riding! The instructor was very good....very organized and calm. He really did a good job. And I also found it very easy to show hand signals while driving, cos of my previous experience I guess! When the time came to get my 4 wheeler DL, 3 of us, who were instructed by different instructors were sent in the car to the RTO. I was the only one that passed. They made me do a H. The other guys doing the test stayed in 2nd gear the whole time, while I managed to take the car upto 4th. That was a Maruti 800 with 3 people in the backseat! Apparently, no one is supposed to sit in the front passenger seat while you are taking your test...not sure if thats true, but thats what the RTO driving inspector ensured...no passenger in front. So he sat in the backseat. with the 2 other students.
Since 2000, I have driven my dad's M800 around 2 times, and did a good job of it, with my parents sitting in the car. I have not driven in the last 6-7 years, and need to refresh my skills. I bought a Santro as a gift for my mother recently, which we have been using by hiring drivers. Now, I will also need to start driving, and don't really feel confident to take the car out myself, to sharpen my skills. Was thinking of getting an instructor to accompany me, in my own car, on a 1 hour session, once a week. He will have to come to my residence and accompany me till I get the car back home and parked. Are there any reputed driving schools offering this option?
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 14:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Was thinking of getting an instructor to accompany me, in my own car, on a 1 hour session, once a week. He will have to come to my residence and accompany me till I get the car back home and parked. Are there any reputed driving schools offering this option?

This is the best method. Start with a couple of weekly sessions on sundays or holidays, afternoons. After than, do a 10 day continuous training early mornings, on vacant roads. (The driver should know reasonably vacant roads on a early morning. Evern 4 AM will do.)
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 15:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Nice that you have rejuvanated this thread.i have had an expeirience to be a part of the maruti driving school,which is an endeavor from MSIL at select points.I dint know that a driving school had such strict standards before.They have got a technically sound teaching process which most of us are un aware of.They have a set of theory classes and then a simulator class and then they take it to the roads.Thhen they also have advanced courses which has defensive driving techs etc.If by any chance you have one in your area please make a visit.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 16:41   #43
BANNED

The best is go with the MSIL driving school, they will give you proper training with simulators, theory & practically.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 18:41   #44
BHPian

I went to a run-of-the mill driving school and did manage to get my license without a problem in the test. But after that, the first time I drove our car was with my Dad in a field near our house. He put up a mock path using bricks and I practised for a week till I was sure I would not stall the car and had the basics all set. Only then did I venture on the road. Driving is also a skill, and no matter what driving school one goes to, a good driver needs to have a natural flair for it.
equinox22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 10:01   #45
BHPian

I learned driving from our car mechanic , he did a really good job at that. But after that for two years i really lost touch and went for a refresher course in MDS. They are doing a very good job too, for me it was only 5 classes+ 1 sim. I got to drive 4 of the Maruti cars starting from Alto, Zen Estilo , Wagon R and Esteem and on final day i took the esteem only. Now i can drive a santro without any issues.
Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote