Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th March 2008, 11:31   #1
BHPian

Default What to expect from the car driving schools?

Hi,

I was planning for my wife to join some driving school and have got some questions.

Q1. What to expect from the driving school?Generally they have 10 hrs course. What can be expected of a novice driver after this 10 hr class?

Q2. Is there any norm on how many kms will the driving school guy will let you drive in 10 hrs?

Q3. For DL , should I go thru these driving school guys or it will be better to go on our own?

Q4. Is it ok to learn driving on any car or should we keep in mind the final car that we will be driving?

I know that 10hrs is too less to learn driving(specially in Indian traffic conditions), but am not sure how to go abt teaching my wife driving. When I look back at how I learnt driving, I did abt 100kms(on my friend's car) on empty roads before going out in traffic for the first time. and then after coming to bangalore, I did a refresher course for 10hrs before buying the car! But unfortunately for my wife, there are no empty roads, no friend's car!
Any advice on how should i go abt? Will it be ok if after 10hrs introductory classes, she continues to learn on our car or should I make her do another 10hrs on the driving school's car?

My expectations from her driving school are:
1. She should be able to drive straight.
2. Change gears without taking her eyes of the road
3. She should be able to stop and go on the incline.
4. Should be able to park in st line.
5. Should be able to reverse(and move in st line).

Am I over optimistic?

Would appreciate if ppl could pitch in with there experiences.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 11:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering the (deserved) reputation of the run-of-the-mill driving schools, I would suggest Maruti's driving school. Check out their web-site, and a thread where this was discussed. The Maruti DS should be a much better bet than anything else.

Maruti Driving School. Count on us.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ng-school.html
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 11:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hyderabad based Hind Motors:
Hind Motor Training School - Course

Each student is individually trained in dual controlled car -> One Month (26 classes about half an hour daily except Sunday covering 10 kilometres).

My wife learnt driving (Rs 3,000) and got her license (Rs 1,200) thru them.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 13:53   #4
BHPian

Slightly off-topic but relevant.....

1. A driving school instructor will NEVER teach his student to slow down / look for traffic when entering a main road. Coz' he never did.

2. A driving instructor will NEVER teach his student to slow down for pedestrians to cross. Coz' he never did.

3. A driving instructor will NEVER teach his student to honk less. Coz' he thinks that's what drives the vehicle.

4. A driving instructor will NEVER teach his student to use the side / rear mirrors. Coz' he aint got them.

5. A driving instructor will NEVER teach his student lane discipline. "What's that?"

......and then there are exceptions. Thank your God if you find one.
Apart from getting the license don't expect anything else. Driving teachers usually pass on their habits to their students.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 17:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

To add to waht Torqy jut mentioned,
The instructor would NEVER ask the student to wear a seat belt, because he never did!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 19:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Q1. What to expect from the driving school?Generally they have 10 hrs course. What can be expected of a novice driver after this 10 hr class?
In Kochi / Ernakulam, it is 15 minutes X 25 days before you pay the money. Once you pay up, the tune is "duration of the class is irrelevant, what counts is what you do".

Quote:
Q2. Is there any norm on how many kms will the driving school guy will let you drive in 10 hrs?
See above.

Quote:
Q3. For DL , should I go thru these driving school guys or it will be better to go on our own?
Depends on whether you are willing to run around in circles or not. Chances are that you will be made to run from pillar to post if you do not go through an agent - whether ti is the driving school or normal, run-of-mill RTO agent.

Quote:
Q4. Is it ok to learn driving on any car or should we keep in mind the final car that we will be driving?
Get to learn in the biggest car available - HM trekker, with vast open sides is a good idea.

All cars in INDIA have accelerator as the right most pedal and clutch as the left most pedal. Brakes come in middle. So make fo car does not make a difference.

Quote:
1. She should be able to drive straight.
Sure. Dream on...

Quote:
2. Change gears without taking her eyes of the road
Depends on her talent. Hopefully, she can.

Quote:
3. She should be able to stop and go on the incline.
Optmistic, aren't you?

Quote:
4. Should be able to park in st line.
Day dreamer.

Quote:
5. Should be able to reverse(and move in st line).
Sure. Reversing is a part of the driving test. She may be asked to do an H (at least, here in Kerala. Once she gets the license, it is your obligation to ensure that there are no obstacles in the line while she reverses.

Now for my biwi's experience.

Once she got the license, we went on the first drive. She did not have the guts to mvoe up from the 1st gear. And after (somewhat successfully) managing to get the vehicle back into its garage, she asked me a question I will never forget - "How do we know which direction the vehicle is going??"

We hired a driver to teach her driving (since I myself was not skilled enough then).

My recommendation would be to get a license, preferably through a driving school. Select the cheapest one. After getting the license, take care to give the classes yourselves. Do not expect much from the driving schools. Even hiring a professional driver (55 years or more old - for the driving experience, patience & maturity which comes with age, and experience in teaching). Once this is over, make her drive while out of town. Inside town, start with driving during early mornings.

I really do not know about Maruti driving schools.

@Torqy - agree with everything - except point #1.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 4th March 2008 at 19:26. Reason: Added a reply to Torqy
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 19:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I learnt to drive three times in my UK.

My father (an excellent driver and a good teacher) taught me when I was 18, but I left home for the city lights before taking my test, and it lapsed.

I learnt again from a driving school (excellent instructor) about five years on, had a massive (and unexpected) attack of nerves on the test and failed.

It's expensive taking lessons in UK; I let it lapse for nearly ten years, before learning again from another great instructor.

... So I have some experience in learning to drive!

After a year of not having the courage to drive in Chennai, I decided that lessons was the way to go to break me in. Also makes passing the test and getting the licence (unlike in UK, where they expect you to be able to drive fairly well) almost inevitable.

I found an English speaking instructor who also had experience of teaching foreigners previously (not that that is relevant here, but...) and signed up.

It began with a theory lecture. Three of us sat through about an hour on the basics of how car controls, engine, gears, maintenance, road signs, a heap of stuff, works. Probably too much to take in, but pretty good. He won't give anyone lessons unless they do sit through it. One of the 'students' was surprised at, 'don't coast in Neutral!'.

After that there were 20 half-hour lessons, which I understand is demanded by the RTO, who then give you a pretty minimal test.

He was pretty good on car control, and strict about it too, although his techniques were not the same as mine. He also graduated from small streets to busy traffic. It was a pretty structured course.

I'd certainly recommend this guy. I understand that driving instruction varies from a really conscientious guy like mine ...down to sign here twenty times that you got the lessons, give the money and we'll get you your licence.

But not everyone can learn the same stuff at the same pace, and my wife, although she went through the same course (but did not complete taking the test, would not be able to do the stuff listed. If we had not left the area, he would have continued teaching her until she could.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 20:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

the driving school tries to teach you all the things you listed. but as most of us are not such gifted learners and the instructor has to finish off the course in a stipulated time, the instructor uses his own clutch and brake and makes you feel that you have done everything properly :-) it is like learning to swim with life jacket always on and a lifeguard.

your objectives can be met if you get a driver with your own car (a car that doesn't have separate clutch/brake pedals.) it is like learning to swim without life jacket but with a lifeguard.

believe it or not.. i learned to drive inside the basement car park. those pillars are really good teachers. of course i scratched the car few times because i just couldn't get how the car moves in reverse. very often the car will be almost kissing a pillar and there is no way to get it away from the pillar except by physically lifting it, or scraping it :-)
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 23:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Good grief that's punishing!

My father taught me to reverse by putting bricks on the ground on open land --- no damage if I missed! The first time he told me to reverse between two big, solid things, I said, too narrow, I can't do it. He just told me: do it!

Before I was born he taught my mother to do hill starts by taking her hat, getting out of the car, and then telling her he'd put it just behind the back wheel.
Old 5th March 2008, 07:19   #10
BHPian

@BaCkSeAtDrIVeR

you made my day

@Thad E Ginathom, these ideas look good, hat and bricks & open ground are all available..i guess i can try these techniques.

i guess i'll keep my fingures crossed...let the driving school teach whatever they can..and then i'll start...
hopefully i wont subject my car to any more scratches..

amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:14   #11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Don't expect too much from the local driving school. Learning in driving school can help you to get the DL and the confidence. With that confidence you have to learn the driving by your own .

IMO they should explain the basic operations like what is accelerator, what is clutch, how they work. Not just "pressing the accelerator increases the speed", or "it is a rule to press the clutch before changing the gear".

They NEVER teach you how to start in the incline without using hand break.
They NEVER teach you how the accelerator, clutch works.
girishbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They NEVER teach you how to start in the incline without using hand break.
They NEVER teach you how the accelerator, clutch works.
My Chennai guy covered both of these, explaining the need to hold the car on the clutch in case of handbrake failure.

I followed the link to the Maruti school site. I think the simulator thing could be good for my wife. They have two branches in Chennai; neither are close-by. but one is, perhaps, not too far.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:54   #13
Team-BHP Support

I learnt driving from two sources. Driving School was Mokambika at Adyar, Chennai. Was in one of those "Town and Country MUV's". But I learnt driving by reading. I would everything and anything I could about driving. Kept on practising and trying to learn why and how things work the way they do.

But the fun aspect was Biking. I got my geared bike a Splendour after my Cars. Till then I had never really ridden anything for more than 10 metres or so. But had read up everything on how the clutch is to work and all that. Spent most of my time air biking. When I got my bike, sat down, started her and started riding.
Love my dad for having the trust in my to be my first pillion.

But the credit for actually teaching me the rules of riding on a road esp the highways goes my guru, Viju.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 11:57   #14
BHPian

amohit,

i've had the previlege to learn from 2 riving schools

First one was in kerala where i was never told why i was doing most of the things.basically i had the steering they had the ABC controls. And this was the first time i was driving a vehicle and thought that everything was fine. driving test was on a straight road where we only need to change gears from 1-5 and then stop + the H. i managed this. once i got license i drove my friends car . then i knew i havent learnt anything. after 7 years i learnt from maruti driving school in bangalore and was totally impressed, esp the theories. they may be charging more but i considering my experience i feel they do a very good job. No idea about DL since i already had one

Regards,
Rajesh
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 12:11   #15
BHPian

my wife who drives scooty very well, lost confidence in driving a car after the local driving school guy taught her
i think these are the things that need to be taught by the school/you
- starting the car in an incline (both fwd and reverse)
- Parallel Parking
- Steering control while reversing. (some streets have dead end and you have to come back in reverse adjusting for haphazard parked vehicles)
- Lane Discipline (esp for people who are accustomed to 2 wheelers)
- defensive driving

Get the DL through the driving school unless you are an AASI member.
I got my DL after going to an RTO in chennai 14 times. That guy gave up and issued me a DL without taking money. His misfortune, i was on a semester holiday and had Local Train pass (no constraint of time/money)
suvi is offline   Reply With Quote