Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th February 2014, 14:21   #136

Default Re: Why the fascination with the back seat?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
I would want to stir up the dirt. !Need to be careful here!

Removed for brevity

But this being a driver enthusiast website, I guess there are more than a few who agree with me.
I dont think you are stirring anything up. This is a valid question but like anything it depends.

I am a driving enthusiast but that does not mean I should drive all the time. For example as part of work I know I am distracted and driving myself may not be safe for myself or for other drivers. This is just like anything else Photography for example. Just because I am a photography enthusiast does not mean that I have to take pictures for every occasion. Sometimes a photographer is required and will be able to do a better job. Just like a driver can do a better / safer job without other distractions.

In the same vein we outsource so many other things in life. Things like a domestic helper to help with household chores, a plumber an electrician etc. 99% of what 99.99% plumbers do are things we can do our self if we tried.

I hope I'm not pontificating but in the end its up to each individual to decide
mentor561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 21:08   #137
BHPian

Sitting at the rear is usually a signature and status thing.

But these are my take:
1. If I will afford a driver, I will be "told" to sit at back eventually due to my criticism, legs hitting the "void" pedals on the LHS front. Everytime I will be squinting to see how the driver's treating my car.
During summers, I'd stick to the seat which gives me the best cooling. No status/comfort matters.
2. If its a female, it think it is comfortable for them to seat them at the back seat. Even It would be my preference even if I'm the driver.
3. I do not work on laptop or read newspapers. But if I upgrade my lifestyle, I'd rather play PS3 / watch terrestrial video feed on the back seat while commuting to office. So need for space without jeopardizing driver's comfort zone still remains valid.
4. The front wheel as it goes over the humps allows me to lift me off the seat little prematurely to embrace the humps with poise.
5. If the stomach is having a bad time !
6. I can even lie down with wider space at the back.

Last edited by devsoftech : 4th February 2014 at 21:20.
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 01:57   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Sitting at the rear is usually a signature and status thing.
Exactly. If you arrive at a hotel or any function the watchman/security will look at the rear seat first as it is known that a owner who is not driving will hardly sit on the front beside the driver so naturally the watchman/security will approach the rear door.

Quote:
1. If I will afford a driver, I will be "told" to sit at back eventually due to my criticism, Everytime I will be squinting to see how the driver's treating my car.
Thus is the main problem with we enthusiastic and automobile loving creatures. We just can't take it when someone else is driving it or mishandling our property. It is like giving our life in their hands and when they don't handle it will we grumble and crib.

Quote:
During summers, I'd stick to the seat which gives me the best cooling. No status/comfort matters.
This has to be the front seat unless you have a car that has rear A/C vents.

Quote:
3. I do not work on laptop or read newspapers. But if I upgrade my lifestyle, I'd rather play PS3 / watch terrestrial video feed on the back seat while commuting to office. So need for space without jeopardizing driver's comfort zone still remains valid.
If I ever do this I will see to it that the driver is NOT distracted and he has the needed comfort and space to drive efficiently and safely.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 17:45   #139

Have wavered between self-driving for most of below reasons vs having a driver - However after a few weeks of facing 2-way traffic of 3 hrs+, realised that a driver essentially is a productivity tool (an expensive one at that)

1. 3+ hrs of Mumbai kind of peak hour commute can drain you physically and mentally - I became snappy at home and office after overdoing my "driving enthusiast" bit

2. You can schedule your day in the morning commute and unwind or catch up on something to learn/improve on the way back. It is very precious me-time now.

3. For the driver, if it is a office commute job, it is a predictable "duty". 3 Hrs of what they know best, rest time in the afternoon and nothing less that 10K to 18K a month. However, I have seen drivers getting fed up with "business" kind of duties (multiple places in a single day) or extended late nights.

4. With continuous work on Metro and Highways, there is no way to enjoy driving on daily commutes - The driver ensures a safe and stable drive. There is no joy in zooming and cutting through bumper-2-bumper traffic.

5. I enjoy my driving on the weekends and that too out of the city. So on weekends, my driver gets a complete off (one of the reasons he chooses to stick with me)

6. BTW digressing, but to minimize all driver related hassles, have availed of a drivers hiring service (on a long term basis) - So guaranteed quality drivers, when I want them and flexibility to not call them when I do not need them. No bonus, gaav ki chutti and other assorted head-aches

Having said all of that, the outgo definitely hurts every month for what you feel you can easily do yourself !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
I would want to stir up the dirt. !Need to be careful here!
=============
But this being a driver enthusiast website, I guess there are more than a few who agree with me.
ashishpotdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 19:32   #140
BHPian

My father always sat in the back seat of the Ambassador - that's all we had in those days! My brother-in-law always sits in the front with the driver, regardless of the car used, including his recent vintage MB 300. His son (my nephew) also sits besides the driver in the Superb.

It's certainly safer in the back seat.

I guess it's a personal thing.
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 21:57   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post

I doubt that very much.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 18:35   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post

Ambassador is a different league and can't be compared to current generation cars.

Back seat being safer, what in case of a hit from the rear by a car or a heavy vehicle? What in case of a hit from the sides?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 18:41   #143
BHPian

I wasn't clear - my bad. The quote reg the Ambassador was just narrating a habit in the family.

Assuming contemporary cars, isn't it safer to be in the back when there's a frontal crash? Assuming seat belts are worn all around.

Getting hit in the back is nearly always less serious than getting hit in the front where the speeds of the two vehicles get combined. And one can get hit in the side whether one sits in the front or rear.

Last edited by TheTeacher : 9th March 2014 at 18:44.
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 20:09   #144
Senior - BHPian

Frontal, Side, Offset or Rear impact collision; you are far safer in the front seats than sitting in the back. With chauffeur driven individuals comprising a very limited market, improving the safety of a car's cabin in relation to the passengers sitting in front, has become the norm. Even taking safety features from your average C2 segment cars will show you that the passengers in front enjoy (or are rather privileged to have) far more, like airbags, whiplash resistant headrests, seatbelts that push you into the seat when hard braking is detected etc.

Here's a link to an article I read stating that studies have shown that Adults in the front seat of a modern day car, are more likely to survive traffic collisions than ones seated behind and that the time has come for manufacturers to shift a little focus into improving the safety for passengers at the rear: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...nds-study.html
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote