Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st January 2012, 13:18   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Why the fascination with the back seat?!!

Wow ! I was actually thinking of starting a similar thread.

I also find it very strange that owners prefer to sit in the rear whenever they are driven around by a driver ! Most of the under 15L cars here ,have maximum safety features in the front .So ,in case of an accident it would be the owner sitting in the backseat who would be hurt more than the driver .Add to that ,the rule of seatbelts only for front seat passengers

Also the ride in the rear for most of these cars is not as comfortable as the front .

Little do these owners of santros,swifts,I20's ,honda city's .... know that in case of an accident ,it is always the rear seat passengers who would be hurt the most .

I for that matter ,sit on the front seat even in the airport taxis.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 02:45   #77
Senior - BHPian

Dad has recently started sitting in the back, as have I when I do not drive.
Main reason is that if we sit in the front when the driver drives, we get stressed looking at the traffic.
In the back, one can sit without a worry of the traffic.
However, this is only in cars that have ample legroom in the back, otherwise the front seat wins.
Plus, the armrest is a big boon, as is the privacy point of view.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 17:41   #78
Senior - BHPian

Default The Front Seat Dilemma

Western countries consider the rear bench of a car/sedan/suv as the owner/bosses place.

Hollywood celebs with those 20 foot SUV's are seen chauffeured around in the middle row.

State leaders in the west use the rear bench (Limo, or otherwise too)

So many other examples from the west to relate to.

Why in India... many consider the rear bench as disrecpect.!!

- I once picked up moms elder sis (badi-maa) and badipaa from railway station and seated them in rear bench - never heard from them for few months post that!!

- Most southern politicians (at least I have seen), INSIST they sit in the front alongside the driver. Jayalalitha gives press interviews from the front seat, So does Stalin (Karunas son), umpteen scorpios and safaris have the MLAs in the front seat

Not trying to create a rift, but the trend is oppsite in north. Outside parliament TV shows guys mostly getting off the rear, handful front.

--------

Share your experiences and observations, I am sure there is a healthy mix of front Vs rear views.

My wife and mum still fight over the front seat after 5+ years of knowing each other!! Dads finds solace with my toddler in middle row!
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 18:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Front Seat Dilemma

My Dad insists on sitting in the rear, so do my gandparents. All my friends with drivers, sit in the back (so do their parents). When we had a driver, he would open the rear door for my parents and guests. Sometimes, when I play driver, I have even been complimented for opening the rear door for my mother's friends/colleagues etc.
Infact the only time I see people fighting for the front seat is if there is someone interested in cars or someone under the age of 10.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th January 2014 at 18:09.
IshaanIan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 18:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
My wife and mum still fight over the front seat after 5+ years of knowing each other!! Dads finds solace with my toddler in middle row!
LOL.

I guess it had do something with the "experience" that one gets while seated in the front seat.

I make sure that I don't sit in middle of the rear seat because it is uncomfortable.
katchkamalesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 19:28   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

- If you are a budding or established politician, you sit in the front passenger seat if you want to give an impression that you are a down to earth, accessible, common-man type of politician.

- If you hire a taxi, you sit in the front passenger seat if you want to give an impression to the taxi driver that you are a down to earth, chatty type of customer who doesn't mind answering questions about your profession, place of origin, marital status and also general discussion about inflation, cricket & politics.

- If you are jumping into a relative or friend's car, you ALWAYS sit in the front passenger seat. Else, your relative/friend might get offended because he would "look like" a driver.

In your case, your relatives probably got offended because you didn't go over the humps slow enough - and not because where you asked them to sit.
smartcat is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 21:17   #82
BHPian

I do not know about our politicians but I have seen umpteen bollywood stars sit beside their drivers.
I definitely prefer the front seat if I'm not driving, which is quite rare. It is also because I can talk with the driver(interesting people) and if it is a friend then to keep a tab on his driving!

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 21:30   #83
BHPian

I prefer the front seat if I'm not driving so that I can strap up (most people never use the rear seatbelt in their cars, so the buckle is generally absent).

I've heard people sitting in the front if their family member is driving so that the person driving doesn't feel he/she is being used as a chauffeur.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 22:05   #84
BHPian

I always sit in the front seat, even though I have a driver. I prefer sitting in the front even when on holidays in a hired car.

I always feel uncomfortable at the back. I have tried sitting at the back after removing the head rest of front seat. But somehow, never got the comfort level.

Many people do not sit at the back as they suffer from motion sickness.

I neither suffer from motion sickness, nor am I a politician. I come from the corporate world.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 22:17   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

With most people who get in my car (extended family, colleagues etc...), one thing has been pretty common. Most of them consider it rude to leave the front seat vacant and sit in the back. I think it makes them feel that I would think that I am considered as a 'driver' and would feel bad about it. Consider this scenario. I am dropping a group of 3. The person is front is the first to get down, when he gets down, one person from the back will also get down and come to the front. This is a standard happening.

I personally do not care about where people sit, but seems like most people sitting in the car care about it
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 00:47   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

I love the front seat always if I am not driving which is a very rare case but if I do get a chance of NOT driving then I sit in the front seat be it my own car or taxi.

Yes when I am driving and someone leaves the front passenger seat empty and sits behind I ask them to sit in the front.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 15:34   #87
Senior - BHPian

I've seen many Politicians in Chennai preferring the front seat - MK Stalin, for example. Front seats are more comfortable and has better leg space than anywhere else in the car.

In personal vehicles driven by someone in the family I think it is considered rude to sit at the back making the person driving feel like a driver. Also sitting at the front means sitting together - maintaining a conversation sitting at the back is a pain!!
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 16:08   #88
BHPian

Police inspectors have their front seat reserved for them alone. No one can sit there.
I have seen constables driving at the rear even though their boss is not driving (leaving front seat empty).
iamswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 16:16   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

An important aspect may be 'safety'. Since, it is coherent that someone who used to have the services of a chauffeur in the olden days must be earning well and hence occupying some high position in the society. This important person did deserve some extra safety in case the car crashes intentionally or unintentionally. The rear occupants stand a much better chance of surviving when compared to someone who is sitting in front, even if there were airbags; and mind you, most older cars had no airbags too. Hence, this could have started the tradition which became a protocol later.

Also, most 'important' people who generally sit on the rear seats also do not sit behind the driver, since that side is most exposed to a crash from oncoming traffic. Another reason is that there is hardly any view of road ahead from the rear seat just behind the driver.

I think these are the logical reasons why one sits normally in the rear while being chauffeured. Other things are all symbolical, like not sitting close to the driver, and all those small things.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 16:30   #90
BHPian

I dont have a chauffer driven car (Cant let a driver drive my Civic!!!) but I do travel a lot in company hired cabs around 500-600 kms per week.

The reason why I always travel in the back seat is that these taxi cabs are generally base models of cars like Indica, Punto, Vista. Plus the drivers are rather rough ones, and without Airbags I prefer whatever safety is offered in the back seat as compared to the front seat.

Plus you can stretch your legs more freely if you want to have a nap. Also front seat sleeping is perceived to be contagious for the driver.
2000rpm is online now   Reply With Quote