Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2008, 13:39   #136
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,476 Times
Default

See i told you so, Honda has realized that pricing matters. No wonder they kept projectors and all off the list, which actually will not be missed by majority of Indian buyers.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 14:51   #137
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 569
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
See i told you so, Honda has realized that pricing matters. No wonder they kept projectors and all off the list, which actually will not be missed by majority of Indian buyers.
Does anyone have insight into plans to rationalize prices for CRV? The diesel version arrival date or in anticipation of the Outlander. The other end is the Civic which needs to go back to its old price. Honda seems to be the best VFM with a snob/brand value attached to it and with classy interiors. The Laura's/L&K success of the tapping the aspirational value of upwardly mobile Indians seems to have triggered and further strengthened Honda's strategy.
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 15:21   #138
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
See i told you so, Honda has realized that pricing matters. No wonder they kept projectors and all off the list, which actually will not be missed by majority of Indian buyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Does anyone have insight into plans to rationalize prices for CRV? The diesel version arrival date or in anticipation of the Outlander. The other end is the Civic which needs to go back to its old price. Honda seems to be the best VFM with a snob/brand value attached to it and with classy interiors. The Laura's/L&K success of the tapping the aspirational value of upwardly mobile Indians seems to have triggered and further strengthened Honda's strategy.
Gentlemen: pisces84 was asking for a comparison of the Laura vs the Civic, and you seem to be talking his language. Could you please download something in his direction? I didn't know how to go about finding such a thread.

Thanks.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 15:58   #139
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,749
Thanked: 89,404 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Camry was always in trouble from Day 1 and will continue to remain that way until Toyota localizes it.
I fail to understand why Toyota skimps on building the Camry locally. It is an equally fantastic sedan, and is worth every bit if priced at 18 - 20 lakh rupees.

The Innova is the only strong sales performer that Toyota has, and also (probably) makes them the most money. The Camry would sell like hot cakes in a sub-20 lakh price, and give Toyota yet another sales winner (relative to that segment).

Buttttttttttttttttttt they wouldn't have the guts to do it to the current gen. Why? Because all the dudes who paid 27 lakhs will stage a dharna outside their HQ, thats why! If the Camry is ever to be localised, I presume it would be for the next generation (5 - 6 years away).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 17:09   #140
BHPian
 
bikefreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 277
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

The prices of the 6th & 7th generation accords would fall in the secondhand market I presume.
Could anyone predict how much would a 6th gen (04-05) cost after this 8th gen is on the roads ?
bikefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 17:53   #141
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,749
Thanked: 89,404 Times
Default

It will make a difference to the resale of the 7th gen, but not the 6th which was anyways bargain-cheap! I have seen them going for 4.xx lakhs!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 18:39   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
The prices of the 6th & 7th generation accords would fall in the secondhand market I presume.
Could anyone predict how much would a 6th gen (04-05) cost after this 8th gen is on the roads ?
AFAIK, 6th gen was last sold in 2003, so you can only find 7th gen Accords if you're looking at 04-05.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 19:53   #143
Distinguished - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,937
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default

Saw the car at Arya today. Was unimpressed back then in DXB, and remain unimpressed now. The headlamps are massive and give the car an imposing presence, yes, but they look *cheap* with regular bulbs. The rear bumper as mentioned earlier, looks odd with the lone exhaust which again, is massive. Thoroughly bored with the interior job, it looks massively (of course) BLAND. But four of my friends, including one who's just ordered his, think I've lost it. So I belong to the slowly thinning demographic of those who aren't too pleased with this car.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 17:55   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

The car will surely hit sales of camry, teana and if they get the diesel soon, its may creep into the sales of the superb , passat and maybe even the 3 series, c class and the a4
!
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 18:14   #145
Senior - BHPian
 
jesal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,322
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
The car will surely hit sales of camry, teana and if they get the diesel soon, its may creep into the sales of the superb , passat and maybe even the 3 series, c class and the a4
!
since u mentioned all the cars. i think the civic auto takes a small hit on this too since it is priced at 14.5 laks and accord is few laks more. most indians buy on emi's so they might just end up buying this and not the civic
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 19:14   #146
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,096 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
The car will surely hit sales of camry, teana and if they get the diesel soon, its may creep into the sales of the superb , passat and maybe even the 3 series, c class and the a4
!
I dont think the accord can hamper sales of the german marquees thanks to their snob value....The camry and teana will be murdered...the superb will be hit hard too as well as well as the passat to some extent,only their diesel engines will keep them alive.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 19:44   #147
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

If its a decent enough looking car (I think it is), is priced correctly (which it is) and has low maintenance and high resale value, it will sell. Honda has a very good name in India. It will definitely beat the others in this segment.

Sad that the Camry is not manufactured locally. It is a great car but somehow Toyota seems to have lost the plot.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 20:15   #148
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 112
Thanked: Once
Default

This new generation will give a run for Camry and Altima. This new accord will be a Poor man's BMW ( in styling only) and will a hit on roads like CIVIC. The V6 model is a monster with 268 hp (US version).
Dine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 07:45   #149
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 960
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

They should seriously launch the Nissan brand in India, at least with the Sentra and the Altima. Both are really good value for money.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 13:53   #150
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
since u mentioned all the cars. i think the civic auto takes a small hit on this too since it is priced at 14.5 laks and accord is few laks more. most indians buy on emi's so they might just end up buying this and not the civic
Well true to some extent.
But people would still continue to buy the civic thanks to its superb design and interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I dont think the accord can hamper sales of the german marquees thanks to their snob value....The camry and teana will be murdered...the superb will be hit hard too as well as well as the passat to some extent,only their diesel engines will keep them alive.
Maybe the germans wont be affected. But the as and when the diesel accord comes out,, definitely the passat, the superb will be hit badly. Skoda will have to make something extraordinary out of the suberb for it to sell in front of the accord.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT honeybee Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 91 8th April 2016 12:02
Honda Accord VTi vs Honda Accord V6 Dinesh99 Technical Stuff 48 9th March 2010 02:08
New Honda Accord Launched in America virginatlantic The Indian Car Scene 35 20th September 2007 13:44
Honda Accord Coupe Concept (Possible new Accord) amit The International Automotive Scene 3 10th January 2007 10:04
New Honda Accord Launched ??? Beemer The International Automotive Scene 16 3rd October 2005 15:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks