Tata Indica Dicor 30 5.51%
Palio Stile 1.6 72 13.24%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th March 2008, 01:42   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aushdeep View Post
Take it to any maruti dealership.
And give up the manufacturer warranty? Also, a new car wont be having engine troubles, its other parts that are needed and will have to depend on TATA-FIAT dealerships for that.
Quote:
Fiat to come out of bankruptcy has given licences to Chevrolet( New Aveo) Suzuki(Swift, Dzire and soon to come SX4) and to make in roads in India with Tata(soon to be launched Indica). This engine is going to be the most popular diesel in India just like it holds good 25% of market for all cars sold across Europe.
As it has been discussed many times over in this forum, the engine was developed by FIAT-GM Powertrain. Ownership is shared between these companies (Suzuki got it through GM) although FIAT-GM powertrain is no more after the companies parted ways.
Quote:
Buy a product directly from the inventor or an altered similar product with some innovation done to bring costs down further.
I wonder why the altered product was mentioned to have better utilised the engine, when compared to the 'inventor' in most of the initial reports here in team-bhp.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 08:45   #302
BHPian

The poll has not remained sensible with 42 % opting for Palio without seeing/TD/owning. We can't place the template of old Palio onto this car without proper scrutiny. We are behaving like infatuated school kids.
I agree a lot of us would LIKE Palio to win. But there MAY be difference in what we desire or take for granted, the Palio MJD to be, and what it ACTUALLY might be.

Almost all the TD including by CAR mag point to a rubbery gearbox. Add a disappointing facia and I am not enamoured of Palio any more from inside. But when I look at the outside pictures I get tempted to own one.

Boys please grow up and start behaving like men.
MADMAX111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 09:08   #303

Default Fiat to invest over Rs 2300 crore in Pune Unit

The Hindu : Business : Fiat to invest over Rs. 2,300 crore in Pune unit

:- The company plans to ramp up operations to produce 2 lakh cars, 3 lakh engines, and 3 lakh parts and accessories
:- Tata shares Ranjangaon facility with Fiat
:- Maharastra attracting huge investment.
abhi4032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 11:11   #304
BHPian

My vote goes for Getz- purely for performance and after sales service.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 00:42   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And give up the manufacturer warranty? Also, a new car wont be having engine troubles, its other parts that are needed and will have to depend on TATA-FIAT dealerships for that.
Firstly in case of a major damage or an accident you will call the car company or a ontrack support. For minor troubles and check ups as well for service if you take it to any service station the warranty is not affected. The question was of spares and same engines share same parts except the turbo. Swift is using an indian made whereas fiat is still sourcing from italy and maybe that is where the difference in torque has come from.

Quote:
As it has been discussed many times over in this forum, the engine was developed by FIAT-GM Powertrain. Ownership is shared between these companies (Suzuki got it through GM) although FIAT-GM powertrain is no more after the companies parted ways.
Gr8 to know half the story. the Design shop was a collaboration for opel but now Fiat is the wholesole tech partner. Even GM is sourcing the engines from Fiat for its europe market. Design of swift, SX4 ( it is italdesign) that is know to everyone and so is aveo from the same shop which incidentally is Fiat's.

Quote:
I wonder why the altered product was mentioned to have better utilised the engine, when compared to the 'inventor' in most of the initial reports here in team-bhp.
Seems on paper , let the swift CDI or LDI run 80-90K kms and then the turbo diff will come into effect. I have had a friends VDI which was there with me since August till feb as he had gone to US on assignment. Only service where oil change and filter change is fine but any engine intricacies or problem not all service centres have the know how. The car was giving starting trouble in november , took it everywhere , vipul, rohan, bagga in delhi and in the end it was only in okhla at MSM that the issue was fixed that too by a mech who was earlier working with tata service.
So service of maruti in terms of acceptability of the brand everywhere is there but what's the use if not all are equipped to handle typical problems.

But again it is a perception game, in the end one would buy what he wants to. Tata sales is assuring of good service and support for all fiat cars and ever since the sales service by tata the service has improved a lot. About service the engine is projected to be the most popular diesel in the new cars to come(indica, Dzire, Indigo, Aveo) spares for the engine will not be a problem and trust me if you dont cut a wire or screw the engine badly the warranty will not be affected.Second almost all the parts of the palio except the headlight is similar to the previous 2002 and parts are available with the local repair shops a tad higher price but ask any palio or fiat owner with there experience, how often did they require this except in case of an accident, you will realize then only why people swear by the build quality of Fiat.
aushdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 00:45   #306
Team-BHP Support

I wonder about one thing,
Indica DICOR costs 54000 less than the Palio MJD.
Palio may be a better car than the DICOR, but is it rs. 54000 better?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 06:06   #307
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In my opinion, no.

For the price, the DiCOR is a total VFM vehicle, with all its features and a well refined engine. And 54K is a significant difference between the two, and I for one, if given a choice, would close my eyes and go for the DiCOR.
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 06:10   #308
BANNED

Quote:
Definitely NOT.

According to my personal viewpoint.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 08:47   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which variant Palio? The Mid Variant with just front P.W as the DiCOR? Have you checked the features list. of the Palio. I think you might be right. Thats what i said in the begining. THe features list in the Palio D is not impressive. Could you bring in the features list for us. Thanks. Would be good to compare prices of variants with as simmilar features as possible.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 09:40   #310
Team-BHP Support

gemithomas, feature to geature, the Power windows(front) variant of DICOR is 54000 cheaper than the power windows(front) variant of Palio.
DICOR is 4.11 lakh, ex showroom delhi, and recently there has been a 5000 straight cut over this price

Palio MJD middle version is 4.58
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 22:53   #311
Senior - BHPian

I had a test drive of the Indica Dicor and I must say it has changed my perception of this little workhorse from Tata. The drive itself was a revelation with the Indica surprising me and my son with its acceleration in the 3 hours it was with us. We took it around backroads, bad roads, highways and some really good secondary roads and it has changed our perception of the Indica forever.

There's nothing much to write about its looks which everyone is familiar with, but on the inside the black plastics of the Indica Turbo look much much better than the drab grey standard trim on the Indica. Quality wise it looks pretty good, the plastics seem to fit seamlessly and there were no creaks or rattles from plastic panels that are too tight or too loose. For a change the steering wheel didnt look like it was made up of multiple panels that had a difference of opinion when they came together. The instrument console is very simple in black but it looks much better than the crappy stuff seen on other Indicas.

Driving this thing was a different story altogether. We were a bit taken aback by the first gear acceleration, having expected a slightly more urgent version of the Indicrawl. Instead we were thrown back into our seats by the unexpected surge which was accompanied by a rather pleasant growl from the engine, which suddenly didnt sound like an Indica. I keep the engine on a boil all the time, so I didnt find any 'turbo lag' and we were in the powerband throughout. After a while I was confident enough to throw it around some corners, first on the road into the Cochin University and thereafter on the road from there to the Naval Armaments Depot (NAD) beyond the Toshiba factory and HMT. It kept its composure very assuredly through some really fast corners, despite its skinny OE tyres.

The Indica Dicor has been a surprise package - we went to RF to test drive the Palio MJD while the Safari was getting its Cat Con cleaned out (accumulated soot) but we didnt find a test Palio available as the cars were out on Test duty. However I can say this confidently - the Palio MJD has to be a bit special on the performance front to be able to justify the nearly 60k extra over the Indica Dicor. This is truly a surprise package from the Indica stable.

I will be TDing the Palio in a day or two (they will bring it home for a half-day drive) but I have been more than pleasantly surprised by the Indica Dicor - we surprised quite a few Santros and other assorted hatches along the way in the manner we caught up and passed them, and I'd be more than happy to buy this car if I were in the market for a city hatch with space to spare.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 23:32   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For minor troubles and check ups as well for service if you take it to any service station the warranty is not affected.
This is the first time i'm hearing such a statement! Can any FIAT owner confirm this from their owner's manual? If so, its really good move by FIAT.
Quote:
Gr8 to know half the story. the Design shop was a collaboration for opel but now Fiat is the wholesole tech partner. Even GM is sourcing the engines from Fiat for its europe market.
My friend, please substantiate your points with valid links, and kindly educate us with the full story.

Anyway, this discussion belongs to the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-engines.html (the truth about-swift ddis,palio mjd-engines)
Quote:
Design of swift, SX4 ( it is italdesign) that is know to everyone and so is aveo from the same shop which incidentally is Fiat's.
True that SX4/Sedici and Aveo was designed by Italdesign. However, does it belong to FIAT? As of February 2007, Giugiaros had control of the company.
News digest.(workers of DaimlerChrysler AG, BMW AG and Audi AG demand increase in payments)(Audi introduces new sedans)(Suzuki Motor Corp. predicts its European sales) | Automotive News Europe | Find Articles at BNET.com
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 23:46   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I had a test drive of the Indica Dicor and I must say it has changed my perception of this little workhorse from Tata. The drive itself was a revelation with the Indica surprising me and my son with its acceleration in the 3 hours it was with us. We took it around backroads, bad roads, highways and some really good secondary roads and it has changed our perception of the Indica forever.

There's nothing much to write about its looks which everyone is familiar with, but on the inside the black plastics of the Indica Turbo look much much better than the drab grey standard trim on the Indica. Quality wise it looks pretty good, the plastics seem to fit seamlessly and there were no creaks or rattles from plastic panels that are too tight or too loose. For a change the steering wheel didnt look like it was made up of multiple panels that had a difference of opinion when they came together. The instrument console is very simple in black but it looks much better than the crappy stuff seen on other Indicas.

Driving this thing was a different story altogether. We were a bit taken aback by the first gear acceleration, having expected a slightly more urgent version of the Indicrawl. Instead we were thrown back into our seats by the unexpected surge which was accompanied by a rather pleasant growl from the engine, which suddenly didnt sound like an Indica. I keep the engine on a boil all the time, so I didnt find any 'turbo lag' and we were in the powerband throughout. After a while I was confident enough to throw it around some corners, first on the road into the Cochin University and thereafter on the road from there to the Naval Armaments Depot (NAD) beyond the Toshiba factory and HMT. It kept its composure very assuredly through some really fast corners, despite its skinny OE tyres.

The Indica Dicor has been a surprise package - we went to RF to test drive the Palio MJD while the Safari was getting its Cat Con cleaned out (accumulated soot) but we didnt find a test Palio available as the cars were out on Test duty. However I can say this confidently - the Palio MJD has to be a bit special on the performance front to be able to justify the nearly 60k extra over the Indica Dicor. This is truly a surprise package from the Indica stable.

I will be TDing the Palio in a day or two (they will bring it home for a half-day drive) but I have been more than pleasantly surprised by the Indica Dicor - we surprised quite a few Santros and other assorted hatches along the way in the manner we caught up and passed them, and I'd be more than happy to buy this car if I were in the market for a city hatch with space to spare.
I'm reading pretty good reviews for Indica DICOR here at TeamBHP...seems to be good days for indica ahead in competition with Palio infact.
Even I'm looking for new hatch...just not sure which one. Looking forward with TD of DICOR and Palio MJD.
sameer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 00:22   #314
Senior - BHPian

The biggest problem with Indica is its driving position and rear wheels which dont seem to hold on to their camber. The rear wheel camber problem is very widespread and if I have to put a figure, more than 70% of Indica's I see on roads have this problem, taxi's or otherwise. The plastic quality though a lot improved is still not at par with the competition, the suspension makes all sorts of boomy noises in the cabin when negotiating bad roads, there's too much road noise and feel in the cabin.
Palio has none of these problems, although the plastics can be better, they are still better than Indica, the steering, the driving position are much much better than Indica and how can we forget the 1.3 MJD engine, there is a reason why TATA has chosen the 1.3 MJD over its own 1.4 DICOR engine in the upcoming Indica V3. Palio overall is a much better engineered car compared to the Indica which is good in its own right. To me 54k's over and above Indica is worth it, although I still think they should have priced the Palio MJD atleast 10k's lower than the prices today.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 00:43   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The biggest problem with Indica is its driving position and rear wheels which dont seem to hold on to their camber. The rear wheel camber problem is very widespread and if I have to put a figure, more than 70% of Indica's I see on roads have this problem, taxi's or otherwise.
Can you please elaborate me this Camber problem with rear wheels...If I'm not concluding wrong then it means that the rod or object which connects the Wheels is bent due to damage/wear-tear. If it is so then even i've seen so many Indicas with bent tyres or too much misaligned.
sameer551 is offline   Reply With Quote