Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st April 2010, 20:34   #256
BHPian

worst cars i have driven have to be Ambassador,Accent,Verna,Gypsy,Sumo and Omni.

The gypsy i drove was a 98 model,was really cramped,ride was pathetic,pick up was poor,clutch was either on or off and steering had a lot of play.All this even though it was fairly well maintained.
Aniket6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 23:25   #257
Senior - BHPian

A Maruti 800 which the owner claimed was only about two years new, had more than 1 L kms on the odo, needed everything switched off before the battery could crank the engine and the gear shift lever had so much play it was a miracle it had stayed in place so long.

Then there was a Fiat Uno diesel. I had been lucky enough to drive it brand new when one of our family friends purchased it. I had the misfortune to drive it during its days of decline. One of the tyres had the steel belts peeping out of it. The first opportunity I pulled over into a petrol pump and got the tyre changed. The spare tyre had a huge lump on the outer side. I could only shrug in resignation and drive at around 40kmph. This was the car that I had driven at 135kmph on the expressway when it was newly built, and when I first started using the seat belt. Sad to see. :(
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 23:59   #258
BHPian

The i10 felt particularly bad to drive, among the cars I've driven.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 09:40   #259
Senior - BHPian

Dunno i have posted this before or not

The worst thing i have driven was the usual 4X2 Bling jeep with Toyota engine and big fat wheels on alloys.

No doubt it had very good acceleration and engine was amazing,but everything else was worth this
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:32   #260
BHPian

Indigo Marina, the first model Tata launched some 4-5 years ago.. the car would not move in the first gear with the AC on.
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:55   #261
BANNED

Default My Opinion

I wont tell you the worst car i have driven, i will rather tell you the worst car i have driven & owned.

The cars i have owned are :
1) Zen (Non - PS)
2) Santro Zipdrive
3) Ford Ikon 1.6
4) Swift (P)
5) Ford Fusion+ TDCi

The worst car i have driven out of them is the mighty swift (Strictly my opinion). Try taking it up to a nice high hill station like shimla etc. with 4 people on board & you will know why.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 11:05   #262
Senior - BHPian

The worst car I had driven, long ago was Daewoo Racer, in Kuwait. No other car came any close to this piece of dung.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 7th April 2010 at 11:23.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 11:06   #263
BHPian

1> Maruti Omni, Horrible steering ,gear box with longest throw,worst breaks.
2> Maruti 800 , All above same.

I do agree with Mustang.101 about Swift P ,its has very poor low end torque,one have to keep working on gears.

Forgot 2 mention the Getz CRDi,its the fastest hatch by far margine but it was worst handling too soft suspentions,Put this engine in Punto.

After driving you will get a feeling ,why Hundai has done injustice to sucha wonderful engine.The car is madning fast,with worst handling.

Last edited by parimal_g : 7th April 2010 at 11:16.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 11:08   #264
Senior - BHPian

Can we convert this thread into a Poll? That would help summarize the responses.

My Vote would go to the entire Indica / Indigo collection, no offense meant to patriots or aficionados.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 11:29   #265
BHPian

obviously tatas and as a shocker for a few, hyundai i10.
i just dont feel like driving it, its way too uncomfortable- seating steering, the rubbish gear changes needed frequently, low power in small rpms(traffic sprints are not possible!) and its diff for me to understand how they've sold so many of them!
zavegur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 11:43   #266
Senior - BHPian

Tata Indica V2 (2004 model). Notchy Gearshift, Unresponsive and Unrefined Engine. Car used to stall frequently during starts with AC on.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 14:16   #267
Senior - BHPian

Nothing comes close to a Omni, be it new or old.
There are plenty more but i think that was due to their mechanical faults developed over the period of time for eg. A forest dept Gypsy with faulty steering,brakes and gearbox or a 800 with everything that can possibly happen to a car.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 14:42   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
1> Maruti Omni, Horrible steering ,gear box with longest throw,worst breaks.
Just for information, the MPFI Omni comes with disc brakes in front. All the non-MPFI ones have drum brakes all round. If you have driven one which had drum brakes, the braking would be indeed pathetic in comparison to a car.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 20:54   #269
BHPian

The Audi Q7.

Has amazing features. Too big for comfort and handles like an Indian truck. A very high weight to power ratio. A good car if 4 of you need to play carom on the move. A very high cost to performance ratio, IMO.

God bless.....
soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 21:51   #270
BHPian

I notice quite a few people have stated that the Omni is among the worst cars they have driven. To those folks, try driving the Omni on a hilly terrain such as Coorg and you will come to respect it. That little box can really take on the bad roads and hit the curve with well not agility but can put some bigger ones to shame. I love the driving position as well. Its like a truck! Kudos to the Omni!
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote