Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th April 2010, 02:49   #286
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Innova may be a heck of a vehicle, but c'mon guys...end of the day, its a van. A people mover. I can totally understand why someone would classify it as the worst car they've driven. Long gearshifts, so-so power, and handling that can't compare to regular (low slung) cars for obvious reason.

The Toyota's a great utility vehicle, but not fun to drive by a long shot.
For someone who has sampled only low slung perf cars - could be the last vehicle in their pecking order. On the other hand-there are worse vehicles to drive in the Indian market if you compare the Innova to other similar vehicles in its segment.

It is not fun to drive (I still keep asking my wife to lend me the Baleno) but not tiring to drive either, so long as you can bear the hard clutch. Most of the Innova owners keep drivers to enjoy the rear seat comfort and never get to realise how easy the car is to drive on a day to day basis.

Finally - if you are a social animal and liked the old versa punchline ("ek gaadi mein saath saath chalne ka maza") - the Innova beats all the other cars < 15lakhs hands down.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 17th April 2010 at 02:54.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 12:24   #287
Senior - BHPian

we are talking here about driving comfort & IMO, innova scores very badly as compared to a scorpio or a safari.

my innova does not pull like a scorpio, my innova is not comfortable as a safari, my innova has a very jerky power delivery & i paid 2 lakhs more for it! why should i like it?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 13:11   #288
Senior - BHPian

Personally, the worst car I ever drove was the Daewoo Cielo. Did a weekend trip from Chennai to Bangalore. I did not feel anything - and I mean nothing. No steering feel, no chassis feel, terrible ride and handling, no feeling in clutch or gearbox. Felt so anodyne ...
I still love the feel of driving an old Amby/Padmini. Faults aside, these cars actually told you everything that was happening on the move.
The best I ever drove? Mark 2 VW Golf GTi wins hands down. Solid build, totally communicative steering, chassis & gearbox, amazing handling.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 14:06   #289
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Omni, felt like i was sitting right on the windsheild with the steering right into my stomach. Scary feeling.
While its safety is obviously poor, the upshot is unrivalled visibility.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 03:11   #290

Hands down - has to be the Geo Metro. Drove it for a friend from Princeton, NJ to Albany, NY. Excellent mileage but when gales of wind blew on the highway, I thought the whole car was going to flip over at any point. Nothing much to shout about inside the car either. Was a '93 Geo Metro if I am not mistaken.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:51   #291
Senior - BHPian

For me it was the Fiat Padmini - Diesel. I had learnt driving on Amby diesel and Petrol Padmini. One day got a family friends Diesel Padmini for going for some marriage. The engine was non responsive and the steering mounted gears was horrible. U should almost break it to put in reverse.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:17   #292

For me, it was a rented Cadillac DTS. The controls are designed so awkward, it took me 15minutes to figure out how to open the fuel tank lid. Clumsy and awkward electrical controls for anything that you might want to do inside the car, an extremely thirsty V8 (yeah!) engine that performed not much better than my 4-cylinder seven year old Nissan Altima, and just plain, butt ugly. DTS is one car I would never buy even if I had the money.
subhashnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 02:15   #293
Default Re: Your worst driven car yet

Worst cars I've driven and won't drive again:

Mahindra Scorpio
Mahindra MM540
Mahindra Tourist Van
Tata Sumo/Victa/Grande Sumo
Tata Estate
Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi

Best Cars I've Driven:

Suzuki Swift DDiS
Toyota Innova
Nissan Micra
Skoda Laura and Yeti
Hyundai Verna
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 02:31   #294
Senior - BHPian

Omni. I think more than in anything it was the fact that there was only like a cm of metal between me and anything I may collide with that scared me most. Heart in mouth, the whole way. Oh and did I mention that the brakes weren't really working on that particular Omni?
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 02:45   #295

Chevy Cobalt..! It was relatively a new car, though a rental one. It was like the whole driving feel was under heavy anesthesia. None of the electricals worked properly. Hit the pedal and it would create a lot of noise, but go nowhere. After a week, I saw a coupe version and I was lost for a few minutes. It's like they wanted to make a budget movie but ended up with a snuff film. My '04 zen was infinitely better as a car.
carrerastrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 04:10   #296

For me it was a rented Nissan Sentra , hated every moment of that vehicle. On interstate felt as though I would be blown away.
mazda4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 09:16   #297

My worst Five (in that order):
1. Tata Indica Diesel
2. Maruti Gypsy
3. Maruti Omni
4. Hyundai i20 (Maybe due to my lofty expectations from this)
5. Toyota Innova
roy_libran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 10:08   #298

The worst car I have driven till date is Indica Xeta Petrol.
No pick up, worst fuel economy
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 10:36   #299

For me the Nano qualifies as perhaps the least favorite one to drive. I drove it about a year ago in Hyderabad and by the time I was done my ankles were hurting a lot.

From a passenger perspective, I hate travelling in an Indica/ Indicab, feel like throwing up all the time.

Did not like the second row in the Scorpio as well. We traveled from Chiplun to Shirdi about 2 years ago and it was a very uncomfortable drive. I preferred to sit in the front.

parik_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 10:40   #300

The worst car driven by me was an Ambassador 1986 model floor gear one. The gear throw was so much that you literally had to "swing" the gear into position.
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote