Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st January 2012, 02:00   #331
BHPian

It's so strange I really cannot think of the worst car I ever drove. I think a car is a car and it depends what state the car was in when you drove it.
Like maruti zen was IMO one of the most fun car back when I was a teen. It used to do 140 without much fuss!!
My personal worst would be maruti van. But then again the one I drove was a whacky car with steering having a huge play and all wheels misaligned . But it was scary!
lambodara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 02:45   #332
BHPian

Default Re: Your worst driven car yet

The worst cars driven:

Omni- Drove my friend's car on a highway trip. Oops a match box design made of sheets and stuck up on four wheels. No more words.

M800- In which i learnt driving. My family car. We had it for 13 years. All the passengers in the car, once for all unite together and slam the brake, still wouldn't stop.

i20- Driven my friend's car. It never deserves the hype. In colloquial language" too much of build up". Basic things i observed was sluggish and under powered engine, never could adjust myself in the driver's seat, dunno why?? and nothing extremely great to appreciate. And now please i20 owners don't come fighting with me, its my personal opinion. No offence meant.

i10- I own it for 1 year now. I seriously had a great value for this car till i bought it. Its mere sham, nothing in this. I have found many complaints like

--Extreme bumpiness
--worst clutch reaction- loo light or my foot is heavy. God knows!!!
--ARAI says 21kmpl. I think it should be for 2 litres of petrol!!!
--low end torque response is very bad. Rare drivers at home always shift to ---1st gear and also many times jerk the car and re crank.
--Annoying humming sound. Rip the car till 2k rpm in any gear and then only
upshift. If this is done how will you get good mileage
-- Tyre noise when running on highway. Puny small tyres. Planning for a new
big rubber.

Manza- A tata car but still not much of complaints at least for me.Offcourse with small niggles but still cultivable.

Last edited by rki2007 : 31st January 2012 at 02:47.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 07:06   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I can understand any other car but you hated a Zen?? Was it that particular car you drove or just the Zen as a car?? And was it an Mpfi 1 or a carb 1?? Please I am damn curious to know as I miss my Zen like crazy and feel that no other new car on road today in the hatchback category which is as good as the zen. Probably Swift comes close. But Zen is Zen!!
No..no..no, Stay cool. I know Zen is one of the great product from Maruthi for their Indian buyers.

I mentioned that it was because of poor maintenance. The one which I drove was an MPFI one but the owner (a friend of mine) poorly maintained, I found very difficult in managing the car the road, It didn't have power steering too. Another reason why I didn't like the car is for the leg room, for a 6.2 guy that isn't the right product.

Otherwise Zen is a nice car and I didn't like its name appeared on another boxy car Estilo. (I thought of including Estilo in my list, But I never had a chance to drive it, and I assumed this thread is for Worst cars, and not for not-so-good looking cars). :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
The worst cars driven...

...but still not much of complaints at least for me.Offcourse with small niggles but still cultivable.
I am bit surprised that you included i10. I own one, But I never had any complaints. Its a great product.

But I agree with Manza, I extensively driven it, TATA still needs to go a long way.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post. Use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Also, avoid quoting entire post as it tends to inconvenience small-screen and mobile users. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st January 2012 at 21:33.
agbenny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 18:28   #334
BHPian

For me the worst are:

= Wagon R - One of the worst gears I have ever used.
= Indica Diesel - Once I had to ask my friend to get down in order to go up a ramp.
ganeshram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 18:50   #335
BHPian

Most scary/bad cars i have driven:

1. Tata Spacio - A rocking boat with monster torque and non existent brakes.
2. Maruti Omni (199X) - No ergonomics at all + no pickup + bad brakes.
3. Tata Indica (2000) - Took ages to even reach 60kmph and overtaking was impossible + rubbery gearshift.
4. Hyundai Santro (2001) - Engine not at all responsive + bad steering and handling.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 31st January 2012 at 18:51.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 19:00   #336
BHPian

The worst car I drove was - Ford Figo 1.2 Petrol.

Sluggish to the core. Just refused to move. Wasn't impressed with the looks either. Hence, it was one car that I truely abhorred; and still do.
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 19:34   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
i10- I own it for 1 year now. I seriously had a great value for this car till i bought it. Its mere sham, nothing in this. I have found many complaints like

--Extreme bumpiness..
--worst clutch reaction- loo light or my foot is heavy. God knows!!!
--low end torque response is very bad. Rare drivers at home always shift to ---1st gear and also many times jerk the car and re crank...
Surprised by the above remarks.

Personally for me the i-10 has been a fantastic city car that I have loved to dart around in over my one year of ownership thus far
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 20:17   #338
BHPian

Mine was the Hyundai Elantra 2010 in the USA. It will be launched with a lot of pomp and fare here as the i40 for a nice "teensy" sum!

Horrible seating, bad FOV visibility and below par interiors !!!
cingsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 20:28   #339
BHPian

I took the test drive of Tata Nano on display. The tackiness, the clutch and the sound reminded me of auto.(may be the test vehicle, but i was very uncomfortable.
bullock-Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 20:39   #340
BHPian

Maruti Omni
Maruti 800
Maruti Alto 800
1st generation Mahindra Scorpio

Last edited by ashish22 : 31st January 2012 at 20:44.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 20:43   #341
Senior - BHPian

This post is not meant to offend any i20 owners, its purely my opinion.

I've not driven many cars, but of the few i've driven the worst had to be the i20 petrol.
It was underpowered, handling was nervous, no steering feedback and the AC in the petrol was struggling in to keep us all cool in Bangalore in the month of November!

I TD'd the diesel and the engine was FAR better than the one on the petrol but the handling of the car really put me off. I don't know if it was just the TD cars(i drove 3 cars from 3 different dealers and all had this issue) or all i20's are like this, but the clutch adjustment was terrible. Almost dangerous in b2b traffic. iT was set to the end, and the car would jump forward when you've almost taken the foot off the pedal.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 21:03   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Surprised by the above remarks.

Personally for me the i-10 has been a fantastic city car that I have loved to dart around in over my one year of ownership thus far
Also many bhpians have reported i10 as the worst car in the same thread in previous pages.

I am not complaining to the core about i10. But my experience is average.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 21:31   #343
BANNED

Maruti Omni 1999 model. With 6 adults on board, Despite flooring the accelerator pedal, there was No pickup at all to overtake on highway.

I am still thanking my angels that somehow I managed to overtake without endingup head on collision with the bus.
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 21:43   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
OMG How did I miss it. The worst driven vehicle by me is a poorly maintained Hindustan Trekker, the vehicle in which I learned the basics of driving.

The steering was having a 45degree play on either side, the gear lever will come to the same position no matter which gear you slot it in and last but not the least the brakes, you have to literally stand on the brakes to bring it to a stop. I still remember one of my friend after driving through a puddle of water, he wanted to slow down on a down hill, he literally stood on the brake to slow the vehicle.
Hilarious man, I was rolling on the floor quite literally.

My choice - Amby then comes I10.
Amby - you have to sit oblique as though an old timer riding a rickshaw.
I10 - bumpy ride. Just too much.
penpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 21:52   #345
Senior - BHPian

Funny that i10 Kappa2 is one of the favourite city cars of many esteemed members here but has featured in this thread.

Personally the only thing i disliked about the i10 was that my knee does not have enough lateral space because of the protruding central console. But its an issue in most of the modern cars.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote