Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th June 2012, 16:22   #346
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Your worst driven car yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I have driven the following vehicles - Ambassador, Maruti 800, Scorpio, Opel Astra, Hyundai Accent, Honda City 1.5 iVtec, Fiat Linea, Hyundai Verna (08), and Chevy Spark.

Of the above except the first three vehicles, all the others I have driven extensively.

So here is my ranking,

Chevy Spark<Hyundai Accent<Hyundai Verna = Honda City< Opel Astra < Fiat Linea.

Why I rank Linea better is because I have done umpteen number of highway trips (Guruvayoor - Coimbatore) approx 150 Kms one way. When ever I take Linea I feel more comfortable doing triple digit speed than City or others.

The cars which we own/ed in the above list are Ambassador, Opel Astra, Honda City and Chevy Spark.

OT - Just booked Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX for my sister as far as the reviews go, I think the new Verna will be ranked between Chevy Spark and Hyundai Accent in my ranking.
Got a chance to drive my sister's Verna 1.6 SX, boy the steering is so lifeless. It is like driving the car with your hands numb, to make it worse its over assisted also.

Having spoiled by the Linea's handling, I think I have set my expectation bit high. Being a car buff, I would love to drive any car but given me a choice between Linea, City and the new Verna. My choice will be first the Linea, then the City and last the Verna.

OT: The above view is my personal opinion. I have clocked reasonable mileage in each car Linea(above 4000Kms), City(above 15000Kms), Verna (around 1000Kms).
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 16:31   #347
Senior - BHPian

For me it has to be the i20. No second thoughts about it. A close second would be the Verna. The i10 wasnt half as bad. And these were all new or relatively new cars I drove without any prejudice. I was seriously considering buying the i20, but that steering has a mind of its own.

The third would be the Omni, but then I am not sure it should even classify as a car. No offence meant, just that I think it isnt well built or safe enough.

Best car ever driven would be the Zen. Perhaps because it was the first car I ever bought. But I bought it as my first car because I adored driving her around. I did have issues getting in etc. (I am 5'11" but unusually long legs) but the car compensated for the little discomfort.
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 12:06   #348
BHPian

the Scorpio was the worst for me. I have been on boats and they felt more reassuring. Every time I braked it felt like I was not able to judge the timing. Normally we get used to that in a new car within a few minutes but the scorpio just was way off target every time.
I had taken it for spin along the state highways in kerala and I found some of the buses handling the roads better than my scorpio. A lot has to do with the high CG. I am hoping the next gen scorpio addresses that issue.
chittybang is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 13:03   #349
BHPian

Worst I've driven is my own Indica Vista TDi when the service center messed up and my turbo wouldn't work. It struggled to hit 100 and this was on the pretty awesome Bangalore Hyderabad highway. It's been fixed since though...

I also disliked the alto Lxi. Somehow, I did like the non power steering Lx a lot more.

I liked the power of the i10 but I absolutely hated the driving dynamics and steering...
nukeblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 13:17   #350
BHPian

For me it was Omni, its horrible, steering don't know what its doing and the gearshifts, breaks, you have to have strong faith in god before driving Omni, And the steering is really omni directional .. Second was old generation Wagon R.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 13:22   #351
BHPian

I think the worst car I have ever driven has got to be the Hyundai Accent( Old Diesel not CRDi). The pick up is not great and the steering is totally lifeless. The old Indica diesel was also pretty bad. The version before the v2. The pick up was terrible.
The Omni is very scary to drive.
prithvi53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 13:49   #352
lsp
BHPian

My neighbor has a newspaper agency and he has 2 Omnis which he uses for the agency work. Which means that on most days the poor vehicles are loaded to the brim with newspapers and driven with a lead foot by the drivers across town. I drove one as my own car was not available.

The clutch came to life in the last 10% of its travel. The accelerator was hard and the brakes were virtually non existent. Had quite a scare when I braked and the car came to a stop inches from a bus. Had it been a normal car with a normal engine bay it would have surely been hit. The bus was literally inches away from my face. Worst car I've driven in my life.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 13:57   #353
BHPian

Out of my puny list of driven cars, Alto Lx with AC on, has been the worst! Ha ha.

I love the handling of this car, but somehow whenever I switch on the AC, I look down to see whether I am on Flintstone's car!!

Ah! not that bad. ;-)

Last edited by SupratikDebnath : 7th June 2012 at 13:58. Reason: typo
SupratikDebnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 14:02   #354
BHPian

For me its an i20. zero confidence driving this popular car on highways. Hyundai should look into manufacturing boats.
vroomsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 21:09   #355
BHPian

The current lot of cars are far better than the old generation cars. The 1988 model Premier Padmini, which was my first car and the worst was a night mare. It was bought second hand in 1993 and looked good initially. It was a most unreliable car, battery would die if not used for a few days, water pump had to be replaced every six months, rust all over and had to be repainted, only to rust a few years later. Got rid of it and was very happy to see the last of it.

Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 23:10   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Got a chance to drive my sister's Verna 1.6 SX, boy the steering is so lifeless. It is like driving the car with your hands numb, to make it worse its over assisted also.

Having spoiled by the Linea's handling, I think I have set my expectation bit high. Being a car buff, I would love to drive any car but given me a choice between Linea, City and the new Verna. My choice will be first the Linea, then the City and last the Verna.

OT: The above view is my personal opinion. I have clocked reasonable mileage in each car Linea(above 4000Kms), City(above 15000Kms), Verna (around 1000Kms).

In the above video, I was doing 80Kmph while negotiating the curve. When I yielded way to the bus first, I failed to notice heap of crushed stone on the shoulder. I did manage to judge correctly, but did ran over the crushed stone(mis judged by a few inches.)

I know I am nitpicking, but this is the big disadvantage of the new Verna. At those speeds you have no idea what the front wheels are doing. The steering wheel turns without any hesitation(less feedback, over assisted).

I am not telling that its that bad, may be with more time spend with her, you could become more confident. But one thing I can tell you, in those crunch situations, life will be more comfortable in a better handling vehicle like the Linea.

OT: There was a better example for the bad handling, but sadly I wasn't recording when it occurred.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 08:50   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g
For me it was Omni, its horrible, steering don't know what its doing and the gearshifts, breaks, you have to have strong faith in god before driving Omni, And the steering is really omni directional .. Second was old generation Wagon R.
Agree on the omni. Sometimes the steering feels like I am in a 60's Hindi movie as the lead hero. They always seem to be swinging the wheel left to right, like I have to do in the Omni.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 12:09   #358
BHPian

Having driven a fair share of cars, most of which my friends own, there are a few that I try NOT to drive!

1 - Hands down - The Maruti Omni (and now the EEK...OH). Both the cars are freakishly unpredicatble in terms of brakes, point and shoot ability and overtaking.
2 - Santro Eco - Lacks high speed (60+) ability where you feel you are riding a ship.
3 - i-Series - Name it...the 20, the 10 and now the New Verna! Whats with the overassisted at all speeds steering. Good to drive when at parking - 20 kmph speeds but anything above and it is irritating. Recently had the misfortune to drive the Verna from Pune to Bangalore and more than once on the highway I really missed my Vista (with the body roll as well, it still is MILES ahead) ! The steering on the Verna is not point and shoot and the pickup is not predictable.
4 - WagonR (New 2011) - WTH...only thing I can say that it is the weirdest vehicle to drive around a curve, at speed. The Steering tends to be vague.
5 - Dont Kill me for this - The new Swift - This tends to be an overassisted steering. You really need to work the engine in traffic. (Weirdly enough the old swift did not have this issue)
6 - Figo 1.2 Petrol - The car is Excellent in steering feedback however the Engine is not mated to the gearbox, the 2nd is too short, the 3rd is too high, the 4th is unpredictable and the engine has a flat spot around 1500 - 2000 (or so) RPM.

Last edited by torquecurve : 10th June 2012 at 12:13.
torquecurve is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 12:42   #359
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

It has to be the i20 for me. I drove a friends i20 CRDi on the highway and felt the steering feedback is really disappointing at speeds above 100kmph.
robimahanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 13:22   #360
BHPian

Worst car I have driven is my FIL's new Alto, it just doesnt stop. You got to have your foot on brakes for quite some time to get the car to stop. Its scary.
My family Civic has got a spongy steering feel, requiring lots of input to get it thru a fast corner. My figo on the other hand has a sluggish petrol engine but crusies through fast corners at 100+ speed with ease.
sansvk is online now   Reply With Quote