Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th June 2012, 14:06   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Your worst driven car yet

i20 and Verna have funny steering feedbacks coupled with rattles and bumpy ride. These 2 stand out for me.
Concorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 14:36   #362
BHPian

omni, i10, Santro and City ZX are in my list , unfortunately i still own later two.
vvvinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 21:35   #363
BHPian

My friend's old mahindra jeep in college/hostel. The accelerator used to randomly give no response after a downshift and that usually scared the **** out of whoever i was trying to overtake at the time

It broke down in a few months and was sold off
echo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 08:56   #364
BHPian

My worst has been the Tata Indica. The pedal and steering positions always gives the hands and legs a pain and if the gear lever had been pushed a little back, one can be forgiven for thinking that they are driving a lorry.
thesilentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 09:02   #365
BHPian

This is a nice topic and it seems almost all vehicles take a piece of the cake.

I would like to my worst as the old ZEN, but that is only because it was so difficult to get in and out of the car. Maybe I am to blame 'cause I am 6'0" and weight a little more that 100 kgs. Ha Ha
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 09:33   #366
BHPian

The worst cars I've driven are

Tata Indigo eCS - Not fun to drive at all
Ford Figo - Scrapes the bottom on every speed bump in Bangalore
Tata Sumo - Scary body roll even when changing lanes

On the other hand, I've loved my Santro Xing, especially as a city car. I've also done 140+ on Rajasthan highways and it is competent at speed (straightline) as well.

Only down side to me is a bumpy ride (rear passengers). What are the reasons for which others have called it the worst car?
anoop.mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 10:01   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
The worst cars I've driven are

On the other hand, I've loved my Santro Xing, especially as a city car. I've also done 140+ on Rajasthan highways and it is competent at speed (straightline) as well.

Only down side to me is a bumpy ride (rear passengers). What are the reasons for which others have called it the worst car?
I agree with Anoop - I simply loved the zippy nature of the Santro - I drove it like stink for well over a 100k km with the car never letting me down. Any reasons so many people think its the worst car they've ever driven? Maybe I missed out on something for the 6 years of ownership

My worst cars are (and this is not in general - just the particular pieces I have driven):

1. Our old Maruti Van - Have actually had a couple of hair raising incidents while learning how to drive it (incl. turning on 2 wheels)
2. A friend's Tata Indica - Has no soul
3. The old Tata Safari (w/o Turbo) - Drives like a boat (with one engine missing)
elantracrdi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 10:08   #368
BHPian

Santro is basically a pogo stick, front and rear. Guess that's all you need to label it as one of the worst cars !

The tata sumo + mahindra scorpio at the rear seats during long journeys = passengers throwing up at the nearest stop, and at the next nearest stop too until the destination is acheived.
Ford5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 10:14   #369
BHPian

Cars with prominent turbolag are sometimes very irritating to drive in city traffic.
Cars with engine like Multijet,CRDi included
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 11:54   #370
BHPian

I have driven the following cars
------------------------------------
Alto LXI (my previous car)
ZEN
WagonR (1st and 2nd gen)
Swift (P and D)
Ritz D
SX4 (P)

Santro (1st gen and eRLX)
i10 (kappa)
Accent (P)
Sonata (1st gen)

Cruze

Polo(P)

Figo (TDCI
Fiesta (TDCI)

Corolla (1st gen)

City (3rd gen)

Audi A4

For me hyundai's are big no no, But believe me their 1st gen products were way better. My experience with 1st gen Santro is amazing, did 120 with confident. But eRLX is a BIGGG let down, couldn't able to take it beyond 80 km/hr with confident.
Hyundai's are good to drive in smooth/straight tarmac, and pathetic on corners and broken roads.

Then comes the Marutis Wagon R and Swift (P, 1st gen) They are not at all a driver friendly car, you feel totally not connected with the roads.

Best maruti cars are Zen and 800.. Once myself on an 800 and my cousin on a Honda City takes up the curvy kerala roads, My cousin gave up in just 10 kms, and 800 rocks for the rest of 50 kms. :-)

Swift D and Ritz D are very average.

Best driver's car on highways with any kind of roads, For me its Cruze and Fords.

For the cost, i was bit surprised about the steering feel of A4, It weighs up good at speeds but its a tad bit slower to respond. Makes highspeed cornering a bit scary unless you got used to it.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 12:59   #371
Senior - BHPian

As a "Worst" car, I would put a car into the list as one that has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever for the likes of us T-BHPians.

Take, for instance, the Santro and Figo (P) listed as "worst" by some. At least, the Santro shines as a city car and the Figo (P) has a nice steering and chassis. So not everything is bad - there are worse cars!

On the other hand, the Omni seems to be winning hands down as the worst car any of us have ever driven. Nothing about it seems to be good, apart from price and space. Nothing whatsoever to make a driver happy.
KiloAlpha is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 11:06   #372
BHPian

Worst handling and driving dynamics on an Indian car as driven by me would without any doubt be Hyundai i10 followed by the Santro and then the Tata Sumo and HM Ambassador. Although the HM Ambassador still wins it with rear bench comfort, it mkes the rear passengers feel as if they are flying, it is an amazing experience in todays hi tech genre of cars.

Last edited by arpanjha : 13th June 2012 at 11:07. Reason: spelling mistake
arpanjha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 17:34   #373
BHPian

My worst cars driven yet are Maruti Suzuki Eeco, all Hyundai cars and all Tata cars.
Pri2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 17:51   #374
Team-BHP Support

I recently drove a Bolero *wears flamesuit* and was absolutely flabbergasted by the driving experience. It's horrendous. I wonder how people buy and drive this thing around town. And what I really wonder is how it manages to record more-than-respectable numbers in the sales-charts, and regularly at that.

- Firstly, the moment I got into it, I was uncomfortable. The seats are hard and don't provide any cushioning.

- The steering-wheel + column was in line with my left knee. In fact, I wasn't comfortable at all as my knee was fouling with the steering-column.

- That is when I had to adjust the seat all the way back. Once I did that, I could sit But that's when I had another problem. The gear-stick seemed out of reach with the seat placed all the way back.

- I got out of the driver's seat, leaving it in that position and went to the back door. On opening the rear passenger door, I was greeted by another set of hard seats and almost NO knee/leg room at all, for the passenger right behind the driver. Terrible.

- The complete misalignment of the steering wheel, the pedals, and the generally poor ergonomics put me off completely, and that's when I realized that I can't complain like this. The Bolero is essentially a jeep with a roof and cabin after all. Sigh.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 17:59   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
I recently drove a Bolero *wears flamesuit* and was absolutely flabbergasted by the driving experience. It's horrendous. I wonder how people buy and drive this thing around town. And what I really wonder is how it manages to record more-than-respectable numbers in the sales-charts, and regularly at that.

- Firstly, the moment I got into it, I was uncomfortable. The seats are hard and don't provide any cushioning.

- The steering-wheel + column was in line with my left knee. In fact, I wasn't comfortable at all as my knee was fouling with the steering-column.

- That is when I had to adjust the seat all the way back. Once I did that, I could sit But that's when I had another problem. The gear-stick seemed out of reach with the seat placed all the way back.

- I got out of the driver's seat, leaving it in that position and went to the back door. On opening the rear passenger door, I was greeted by another set of hard seats and almost NO knee/leg room at all, for the passenger right behind the driver. Terrible.

- The complete misalignment of the steering wheel, the pedals, and the generally poor ergonomics put me off completely, and that's when I realized that I can't complain like this. The Bolero is essentially a jeep with a roof and cabin after all. Sigh.
Looks like the majority of us poor Indians who are buying these antediluvian machines are genetically programmed to think cheap, pitch low and compromise heavily in order to be able to ferry large numbers of people, at the lowest possible cost! I loved that Bolero once, I cant consider one now. Maybe I ve just become fat, old, plutocratic and comfort loving. Or maybe, putting it charitably, the world has moved on and I evolved along with it. But frankly, to me, that 2005 model Bolero GLX was better than this 2012 Bolero VLX in terms of a few things, most notably the length and position of the gear lever.
Afer having experienced better things I dont think I can go back to either the Bolero or Scorpio now. Sad, but true.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th June 2012 at 18:04.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote