Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th June 2012, 18:12   #376
BHPian

Post Re: Your worst driven car yet

This is a tie between a well maintained Indica and a poorly maintained Indica Vista each belonging to friends of mine. Both cars felt so sluggish that I handed over the driving responsibilities ASAP. And I LOVE driving. Simply not a drivers car, that is what I felt.
nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 18:13   #377
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Your worst driven car yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Looks like the majority of us poor Indians who are buying these antediluvian machines are genetically programmed to think cheap, pitch low and compromise heavily in order to be able to ferry large numbers of people, at the lowest possible cost! I loved that Bolero once, I cant consider one now. Maybe I ve just become fat, old, plutocratic and comfort loving. Or maybe, putting it charitably, the world has moved on and I evolved along with it. But frankly, to me, that 2005 model Bolero GLX was better than this 2012 Bolero VLX in terms of a few things, most notably the length and position of the gear lever.
Afer having experienced better things I dont think I can go back to either the Bolero or Scorpio now. Sad, but true.
^^ I drive a Santro regularly and let's face it, it isn't exactly a 'comfortable' car. Sure, it's great in the city, with oodles of bottom-end torque and a decent steering. So when I stepped into the Bolero, I didn't think it would be that bad.

I know, as far as moving people around is concerned, the Bolero is good. But even so, I can't seem to understand how?! How does the driver find himself a comfortable position for driving, especially long distance? And even if he does, how do passengers behind him sit? You either need to fold or amputate your legs.

Can't Mahindra engineer a product that can be driven without worrying about your legs fouling with the interior components of the car? Instead of giving us that stupid '80s sci-fi digital console, they could have worked on the ergonomics. Don't tell me you can't re-design the interior so that it is more accommodating!?! After all, it is a people-mover? So why make life hell for those who want to use it for its intended purpose?! I just don't get it

Don't get me wrong. I don't want or expect the Bolero to be a driver's car. It certainly can't be one, and that expectation is more than just far-fetched. At least make it 'driveable'

I can't figure out for the life of me why anyone would want to drive it. Mahindra must certainly hate chauffeurs.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th June 2012 at 18:19.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 19:36   #378
BHPian

Hyundai Santro - surely. The car really frightens me even today...The reva as well - but somehow its ability to squeeze in traffic is useful I guess
pavan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 20:14   #379
BHPian

NANO - Feels nothing like a car. Drive it to get a feel of how the early cars might have felt like. Its' a crash course in car-evolution.

To begin with, the feeling one gets when behind the steering of the cheapest 4-wheels in India is that of sheer disappointment at having landed there in the first place.

Then, the car reminds you every second why its' the cheapest car in India - specifically, there is NO assurance of safety, engine doubles as the music system, the tiny tyres neither offer comfort nor stability, and lastly the steering makes you envy the truck drivers. The only positive feeling about this car is the ridiculously small turning radius - so if your needs require you to go continuously in circles of 5 meters or less, go for it. For everything else, there's public transport.
Fornax is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 20:28   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
so if your needs require you to go continuously in circles of 5 meters or less, go for it. For everything else, there's public transport.
Amazing review in just few sentences. I am still laughing a lot.

The car which gave me jitters is the Logan petrol. Less said the better.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 21:15   #381
BHPian

Maruti Omni.

hats off to those who manage to drive the car even on hills with a load of people. I can sit comfortably at the back. But sitting in front either as driver or passenger, thats scary. And once it rains, i think if you put your foot out onto the road, youd have a better chance of stopping that thing, than those slippery brakes and those size zero tires.

Indica the version of yesteryears.

I dont know if it even has one horsepower or half of it. You just keep your foot down all the time and if the car wishes it will go forward, speed up or nothing at all. The new versions are far better.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 15:41   #382
BHPian

Maruti Omni wins here. It is strictly point A to point B travel car in city only. Always had fear of the body roll at slightest increase in speed at corners. I also had a weird feeling that I might pop out of the car (from front side ) incase of breaking hard.
kbrtz125 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 16:54   #383
Senior - BHPian

the premier padmini is possibly the worst car ever driven by me.

I don't even know if it had a chassis, leave alone having a bad one.

The play on the steering was so much, in todays cars in the amount of play that was there in a padmini you can probably take a U turn

The clutch was so hard that sometimes one forgot it was a movable (pushable) object.

The ergonomics of the car - err .. sorry doesnt apply for the padmini.

The gear box - the unsynchromeshed 1st gear - you always had to put it in 2nd gear before you put it in the 1st.

Few of the reasons why i think the padmini was the worse car driven.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 19:24   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427
the premier padmini is possibly the worst car ever driven by me.

I don't even know if it had a chassis, leave alone having a bad one.

The play on the steering was so much, in todays cars in the amount of play that was there in a padmini you can probably take a U turn

The clutch was so hard that sometimes one forgot it was a movable (pushable) object.

The ergonomics of the car - err .. sorry doesnt apply for the padmini.

The gear box - the unsynchromeshed 1st gear - you always had to put it in 2nd gear before you put it in the 1st.

Few of the reasons why i think the padmini was the worse car driven.

cheers,
ac
You must have had one hell of a badly maintained Padmini. In those days, it was one of the best you could drive especially compared to the Ambys.
Yes, it was crap when compared with today's cars.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 23:13   #385
Senior - BHPian

Maruti omni. Driving the car , and even just sitting in the front passenger seat is scary. I drove it once and never ever wanted to drive it again.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 09:59   #386
Senior - BHPian

I regularly drive a Zen, Punto & Bolero. By far the Bolero is the worst i've driven (ever)! I learnt driving on an MM540 and i actually enjoyed driving that more than the Bolero. Few things that come to my mind on the Bolero;
  • The Ergonomics
  • The truck like steering wheel
  • Overassisted steering with absolutely zero feedback
  • Very very nervous at high speeds with a floaty feeling
  • Terrible brakes
  • Hard clutch will test your patience in b2b traffic
  • Terribly bouncy on bad roads if the vehicle is empty. When loaded its really nice.
  • Downright crude - And one pays ~7L for this vehicle

Drove an Omni once and trust me I felt like I was in an amusement park ! When you brake you feel your going to touch the road with the way the nose dips !

On the new gen Hyundai's, I would not call them the worst cars. Its just that they do not appeal to the enthusiasts. Personally though, I'd stay away.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 15th June 2012 at 10:07.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 10:14   #387
Senior - BHPian

Well I have driven many cars (discounting the TD's ofcourse) over a long period of time, but have driven these

Maruti Zen (owned it for 2 years)
Manza (Currently )
Premier Padmini (Dad's car now sold)
Indica DLS (During a trip)
Indica Xeta (As a loaned vehicle from workshop)
Omni (For a couple of days)

Out of these cars, I would have to say that Omni is the worst of the lot, due to the following (No offence to current Omni owners)

1. Front Driver Seating (Its like you sit on a bench straight up with my thighs perfectly perpendicular rather than at a comfortable angle
2. No HVAC, which is a pain during the rains since rolling up windows causes fog inside and you need to keep clearing it
3. Brakes: Does it car really have something called brakes? I am not too sure.
4. Safety: With no room for saving the front row seats its quite dangerous.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:07   #388
BHPian

I drove a Nissan Sunny 1.3L A/T. Apart from being unable to push the brake pedal all the way down from the steering being too close to the seat, the downshift on pressing the accelerator pedal too hard causes the vehicle to slow down rather than speed up, making it difficult to drive when entering a road (esp. a highway) or starting from park.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 10:44   #389
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Mine would be first a new Bolero. Atrocious interiors, cramped space, agricultural engine (sounds like a tractor inside/out) and complete lack of performance. Second would be a Eeco. Proper breadbox on wheels, seems to have no suspension what so ever, whine from the prop shaft when accelerating and the feeling of almost toppling over at even gentle curves.

One more car which I wish to highlight and comes very close to a car that scared me was a European spec Skoda Roomster (a close cousin of our Yeti). The car has good performance and fuel economy but is very hampered by its tremendous bodyroll. Taking a roundabout at 40kmph felt like sitting in the top deck of a best doubledecker with that sickening feeling of toppling over, at 50kmph the inside wheels lifted off

Last edited by apachelongbow : 24th June 2012 at 10:45. Reason: read as inside wheel lifting off
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 12:34   #390
BHPian

I hate my wife's new Polo 1.2 petrol - the steering is odd, the engine sounds like its diesel, and its a little heavy in pick up and drive for a petrol car. Well, I guess I have spoilt by my Civic
reddevilgautam is offline   Reply With Quote