Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th June 2012, 14:06   #391
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Your worst driven car yet

Maruti Alto (800cc): This car is just hopeless to drive. Way too slow. With A/C on its even more terrible. In contrast, the 800 is such a joyful car to drive.

Maruti WagonR (2007): It was a TD car. We were owning a Zen then and wanted to change. This car has hopeless gearbox, noisy engine, bad bad stability. I just took a U-turn like I took in my Zen and the car was almost on 2 wheels. Scary!
blue_pulsar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 16:05   #392
BHPian

^^ +1. Maruti Alto: 800cc it is for me too.
Haven't driven the Omni - but have sat in it plenty of times ever since I was in Std Five, maybe - The Omni could've taken the honours otherwise.
abhi413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 19:44   #393
BHPian

I have learnt driving on Maruti 800 then bought a M1000 and now Accent. I have also driven Zen (old carb.), A star, Gypsy and 800 a lot of my friends. Out of all these the worst was 800 as it simply does not feel well planted on road and gives me a nervous feeling while driving it. Also the gear shift is rubbery and has too much of play. Zen is almost of same size as of 800 but what a huge difference there is.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 19:51   #394
MAS
Senior - BHPian

The worst car i drive was Indica, the four geared version. I drive the car from Dewas to Indore. The car was almost not in my control. It was all over the road and I'm not sure how the driver was able to drive it day in and day out.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 20:07   #395
BHPian

Rating cars based on TD/ownership (and price parameters)
1. You burn more energy while making turns (Steering is tough, feel like a truck driver while making u-turns) - SX4 (v/s SX4, ANHC, Verna gen 1, Linea)
2. Takes more time to stop - CIVIC (SX4 stops much shorter, even though its 2 discs only) (v/s SX4, ANHC, Verna gen 1, Linea, a used CIVIC, ALTO, Estilo)
3. Gives bad FE (i'm okay due to short usage) - CIVIC in a honda 1.8l (v/s SX4, ANHC, Verna gen 1, Linea, a used CIVIC, ALTO, Estilo)
4. NVH depending on money spent - SX4 generation 1 / Swift gen 1 (v/s SX4, ANHC, Accent, Verna gen 1, Linea, ALTO, Estilo)
5. Driving dynamics - Estilo generation 1 (v/s Estilo, Alto)
6. Comfort - Estilo, SX4 generation 1 (sorted out in later generations) (v/s SX4, ANHC, Verna gen 1, Linea, a used CIVIC, ALTO, Estilo)
7. Rattles - Alto, Estilo, SX4

But I have loved some of these cars due to different reasons, but bought them due to their pricing/features.

Last edited by devsoftech : 24th June 2012 at 20:18. Reason: Adding cars benchmarked
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 20:08   #396
Senior - BHPian

Indica is one of the worst cars I have ever driven. The engine has got no grunt whatsoever, the steering is strictly average, and the rattles and noise keep distracting the driver all the time! Wonder how the call taxi guys here keep racing the city streets with this car.
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 23:07   #397
BHPian

Recently drove an 800 after a gap of several years. Maybe it was the poor condition in which the particular car was maintained, but I noticed the following differences from the more modern cars:
- The brakes are very weak and require some effort and calculated application
- Clutch is poor, and gets engaged only in the last 10% of it's travel or so. I could smell the burning clutch when I reversed on an incline from stop.
- The steering has a lot of play and is rather imprecise
- The overall build of the car is very light and flimsy

I would be really scared to venture on the highways with that now. To think we so carelessly pushed an 800 to it's limits on the highway just 6 years ago gives me the jitters.
one-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 23:21   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Maruti Alto (800cc): This car is just hopeless to drive. Way too slow. With A/C on its even more terrible. In contrast, the 800 is such a joyful car to drive.

Maruti WagonR (2007): It was a TD car. We were owning a Zen then and wanted to change. This car has hopeless gearbox, noisy engine, bad bad stability. I just took a U-turn like I took in my Zen and the car was almost on 2 wheels. Scary!
You are talking about the most favourite choice for many Indians here.

Yes, it is a pain to drive the Alto, what I liked about it was the AC, nothing else.

As for me, the worst car has to be the 1st gen Indica and maybe the later models too. The car feels, sounds and moves like a truck, the alto is wayyy better in comparison.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 24th June 2012 at 23:22.
esteem_lover is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 10:46   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You are talking about the most favourite choice for many Indians here.

Yes, it is a pain to drive the Alto, what I liked about it was the AC, nothing else.

As for me, the worst car has to be the 1st gen Indica and maybe the later models too. The car feels, sounds and moves like a truck, the alto is wayyy better in comparison.
Omni it is for me...Terrible driving...scary brakes with the car looking like it may tip over any second....Indica second!
shadows123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 15:06   #400
BHPian

Wink Re: Your worst driven car yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
Omni it is for me...Terrible driving...
Omni for me too! It may be a flexible "transporter" but never in my view is a "driver's" car. On the lighter side, I do get the satisfaction as if I drove a Bus whenever I drive it - thanks to its lengthy & zero bonnet design. I doubt if I would ever get a chance to drive a real Bus though!!
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 16:02   #401
BHPian

Oh, the worst car was a "lemon" I bought in 1997. It was a new Fiat Premier 137 D.

Within 3000 Kilo meter, gear box crashed.
At 12000 Kilometer engine seizure.
At 20000 kilometer the clutch assembly failed.

Didn't try to "explore" further as i sold the car within 12 months of purchasing it at 35% of the original invoice value. Swore never to buy any fiat makes after that.

I used to pass the guy who bought the car from me on the road few times. Initially he used to smile and wave at me, but after using the car for few months, his smile slowly vanished...

Oh forgot to add one more point. The After sale service of Fiat was done by TVS motors at that time. If you think Skoda After sale service is bad, then guys you obviously haven't tried TVS....!!!
Turbo car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 16:45   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo car View Post
Oh, the worst car was a "lemon" I bought in 1997. It was a new Fiat Premier 137 D.

Within 3000 Kilo meter, gear box crashed.
At 12000 Kilometer engine seizure.
At 20000 kilometer the clutch assembly failed.

Didn't try to "explore" further as i sold the car within 12 months of purchasing it at 35% of the original invoice value. Swore never to buy any fiat makes after that.

I used to pass the guy who bought the car from me on the road few times. Initially he used to smile and wave at me, but after using the car for few months, his smile slowly vanished...

Oh forgot to add one more point. The After sale service of Fiat was done by TVS motors at that time. If you think Skoda After sale service is bad, then guys you obviously haven't tried TVS....!!!
Thats terrible..Looks like a case of "Whatever could go bad did go bad"...Never expected a Fiat Padmini to be like this considering there were so many of them around...
shadows123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 18:16   #403
BHPian

I have so far driven mostly the small cars only. Here is my list.

Hyundai Santro,
Chevy Spark,
Hyundai i10 (1.2),
Hyundai i20,
Suzuki Alto (0.8),
Suzuki Wagonr (Old),
Suzuki Swift (Old P&D) ,
Ford (P&D),
Fiat Punto (D),
Chevy Beat (P&D),
Tata Indica (old Diesel) and
Tata Indica Vista (Quadra),
Tata Manza
and my own "Chevy Uva"

Out of the above cars, the top 4 worst cars for me are.
1) Tata Indica (Grossly under powered, pain to run in traffic)
2) Hyundai Santro (Highway bumpy ride and really vague Steering)
3) Suzuki WagonR (Almost No Legroom and really long truck like bad gearbox)
4) Tata Indica Vista (Low on Quality for the segment, Suspension noise and Entire Steel Structure seems to give noise on bumps)

Even rest of the cars have some negatives but I can live with them. The best of the lot for me are Swift (Old P&D), Punto (P&D), Beat (P&D), My UVA and Figo (Diesel Only).
anu21v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 19:36   #404
Senior - BHPian

Till date, I've Driven following cars :

1- Alto
2- 800
3- Omni
4- Santro erlx
5- Wagon r
6- Swift/dzire VDI
7- Scorpio
8- i20 CRDI
9- Sunny D
10- Altis D
11- Accent P
12- i10 kappa
13- Esteem
14- Honda City ( 1.3 one and that dolphin one )

And out of this following cars were worst to drive :

1- Sunny ( Plane BORING )
2- Alto ( With AC on, she feels heavy )
3- Wagon r ( Boring to drive )
3- i10 ( boring to drive again )
4- Honda city ( dolphin one- Not involving to drive )

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 26th June 2012 at 19:38.
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 19:43   #405

Way back in 90s, I used to live in the Gulf, where I had to drive a Renault R21, though it looked swanky, and long as a Limo, it used to suddenly stop, in the middle of the highway due to overheating, and would take a long time to restart, and only after considerable cooling! Worst Car ever driven by me!
Natt1948 is offline   Reply With Quote