Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th June 2012, 19:52   #406
BHPian

Default Re: Your worst driven car yet

My Worst experience, driving a car yet..
1. Mahindra Scorpio: It was so scary after 60kmph that I had to abandon the test drive half way. It seemed there was no connection between the steering and wheels.

2. Hyundai Santro : Good for speeds below 50kmph, beyond that it starts bouncing all over and no feedback from steering felt vague and artificial.

Fun to Drive cars:(Upto C2 segment)
1. Ford Fiesta S 1.6 (Classic Model): Ride and Handling is fantastic
2.All New Honda city : Peppy engine, revs neatly above 4000rpm and the steering gets heavier at high speed nice balance.

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 21:10   #407
BHPian

Pardon me on my statements here, all the current and perspective owners, but to me here are the worst driven cars & before I make a call, let me make the following statement -

Ride and Handling - do not hold much of an importance to me, the only thing that matters is the FTD factor. More than straight line acceleration what matters to me is the In Gear Acceleration.

So the awards go to -

1) The New 2012 Swift VTVT - me being a previous G13B owner can compare the current 2012 lot and the G13B, even the K12M (sold from Apr 10 till the new one was launched). The bottom end is simply pathetic on this new Swift, the clutch is emotionless (ingress and digress too too light, you hardly feel it). They have basically the killed the biggest USP of the Swift, the FTD factor is GONE. Heck I drove my cousin's Estilo for a trip to the Corbett a month back, it was much more fun than the 2012 Swift.

2) Fiat Linea 1.4 Petrol - 11.7 Kgm for 1200 Kgs, this sums it all up for the Linea, I drove one way back early 2009 (the base was available for 6.5 OTR, which actually tempted me to have a look at it), oh lord it takes ages to reach 80 KMPH, I asked the SA sitting right next to me, boss are you able to sell this car post a TD to anyone ??

OK, now coming to the car that have been thrashed on this thread -

M800 - I still have a 99, 800 STD - I call this my WINTER CAR, I see no qualms driving this one even after 150K + Kms, the engine has not been overhauled, basically you cannot expect more from a 39 BHP car, I still love driving it come November !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 26th June 2012 at 21:11.
Torquedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 10:46   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
Thats terrible..Looks like a case of "Whatever could go bad did go bad"...Never expected a Fiat Padmini to be like this considering there were so many of them around...
Shadow..what made the matter worse was the lack luster response from the part of TVS personnel. The only thing they are scared of is when someone makes a hubbub in the media and that is the time they fall all over themselves to deliver at least reasonable service.

TVS dealership of Mahendra was one of the reasons for the initial slow sales of Scorpio at the time of launch. Mahendra was quick to sense this and managed to improve. But still i wont touch TVS service facility with a 10 foot barge pole. One bitten; twice shy....
Turbo car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 12:34   #409
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

The worst car I have driven I think is the Maruti Omni van.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 13:36   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
The worst car I have driven I think is the Maruti Omni van.
no offence meant, but I dont think it should be even termed a car. its more like a box on wheels. I dread to see these on highways especially. the worst part is that these are now used to ferry kids to school.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 14:18   #411
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
no offence meant, but I dont think it should be even termed a car. its more like a box on wheels. I dread to see these on highways especially. the worst part is that these are now used to ferry kids to school.
OMNI was launched in India in the 80's and at that time the market had seen no other passenger van of this style. It evolved as a MUV of that time as lot of people used it for transportation purposes too.

OMNI provides an ideal view for the driver but is one of the most unsafe cars as even a small head on collision can immediately shift the driver to heaven ( or hell ).

Sadly, OmNI is now being used for transporting school kids and that is something that is inviting trouble in capital letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
My Worst experience, driving a car yet..
1. Mahindra Scorpio: It was so scary after 60kmph that I had to abandon the test drive half way. It seemed there was no connection between the steering and wheels.

2. Hyundai Santro : Good for speeds below 50kmph, beyond that it starts bouncing all over and no feedback from steering felt vague and artificial.

Fun to Drive cars:(Upto C2 segment)
1. Ford Fiesta S 1.6 (Classic Model): Ride and Handling is fantastic
2.All New Honda city : Peppy engine, revs neatly above 4000rpm and the steering gets heavier at high speed nice balance.

Cheers
MKP
Hi,

Did you TD Scorpio without ABS ? That I admit is a scary proposition as the SUV has a tendency to fish tail at high speeds; especially when you are taking shallow corners. I have had a bad experience once driving in rain on a Scorpio, and nearly had a right back end collision with an oncoming biker.

That moment scared the hell out of the biker and me....

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2012 at 13:12. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 28th June 2012, 12:50   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo car View Post
Hi,

Did you TD Scorpio without ABS ? That I admit is a scary proposition as the SUV has a tendency to fish tail at high speeds; especially when you are taking shallow corners. I have had a bad experience once driving in rain on a Scorpio, and nearly had a right back end collision with an oncoming biker.

That moment scared the hell out of the biker and me....
Yes, It was without ABS the previous version 2.6 before mHawk engine.
I can understand your condition. Have experienced something similar too..

BTW, It is a great car to bully others in traffic, rickshaws and motorcycle guys run for cover !! ( I do not do that though )

Cheers
MKP
Old 28th June 2012, 13:17   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That explains it. Try driving the Scorpio Refresh.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 13:19   #414
BHPian

Quote:
I can understand your condition. Have experienced something similar too..

BTW, It is a great car to bully others in traffic, rickshaws and motorcycle guys run for cover !! ( I do not do that though )

Cheers
MKP
I used a Scorpio for 2 yrs from 2004-2006. It was with the CRDI engine.

The cabin was well insulated of noise and the brakes were worse than the 2001 Zen's ( which was my other car). Actually, after the mentioned incidence i avoided using Scorpio for long distance journeys.

An MLA in Kerala who is an enthusiastic driver too got the shock of his life when the Scorpio which he was driving went Topsy turvy and he traveled quite some distance like that...Till date he doesn't get into Scorpio's....

By the way, How is the new generation Scorpio with 4x4 ( optional ) and ABS ? Is it more sure footed on road than the previous generation ones ...
Old 28th June 2012, 14:11   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo car View Post
I
By the way, How is the new generation Scorpio with 4x4 ( optional ) and ABS ? Is it more sure footed on road than the previous generation ones ...
It should be, inferring from quote by raj_5004 in the other post. However, now am more interested in the XUV 5OO, nice car with all bells and wistles @ < 15L. Waiting for the niggles to be sorted out as reported by others in forum as well as the loooooooooong waiting period !!

Cheers
MKP
Old 28th June 2012, 14:29   #416
BHPian

MKP..why dont you try a Pajero say 2008-2010 model ? That is better than XUV 500 na ? A friend of mine has it and i did drive it around for quiet some time. True it has lots of bells and whistles but overall ride quality as a SUV isnt something you would not write home about.

And Mahendra has a habit of making any vehicle they make finally deliver a driver experience equal to that of a Jeep...The only vehicle i loved from them was the classic 4x4 but unfortunately they stopped its production. Have you ever driven that ?

Last edited by Turbo car : 28th June 2012 at 14:33.
Old 30th June 2012, 21:15   #417
BHPian

I was cautious driving a 2004 Scorpio on Shiradi Ghat. Its quite bouncy and scary after one crosses 110 kms.
sureshurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 23:20   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

- I have driven the Hindustan Ambassador (floor shift) and enjoyed the experience.

- I have driven the original Tata Indica and was quite excited because it was my first diesel drive.

- I got my driving license in a Maruti Omni - so will never forget the experience.

- I even drove a Tata Ace for a short distance and loved it!

- Maruti 800 taught me how to drive.

Basically, I'm unable to link the words "Worst" or "horrible" with cars
smartcat is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 23:27   #419
BHPian

I think we should exclude those cars from this list that have been a pain to drive owing to poor maintenance. Basically, my logic is (and I think everyone will agree) that a car that is poorly maintained can certainly cause a lot of problems to the driver, irrespective of how good it is to drive in pristine or decently maintained state.

I think it is better to restrict the discussion to those cars that have given a bad experience of driving due to shortcomings of the vehicle itself, and not because of bad maintenance.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 00:03   #420
BHPian

I have always loved driving right from when I learnt how to do so. The car I learnt driving was on a 1980 VW Beetle 1300cc. Since then I never lost an oppurtunity of driving any vehicle I could get my hands onto.
I feel that there is no bad car as long as it is maintained well. It is the driver that matters.
Every car is built to a price and we should expect the goods and bads that come with that price and not blame the car.
I will surely enjoy driving a well maintained 10 year old Maruti 800 than a badly maintained 4 year old Honda City with bald tyres.
There are no bad cars. Just bad drivers.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote