Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st July 2012, 12:34   #421
Team-BHP Support

The worst car I had driven was a horribly modified zen running a G16 (?) engine, during a TBhp meet many years ago. It's handling was so singularly atrocious that I cannot forget that experience despite just a few meters of driving that car.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 23:47   #422
BHPian

Default Re: Your worst driven car yet

For me it was a badly maintained tourist Tata sumo many years back which we had hired for a trip to Tirumala. I requested the driver to let me drive but within a few hundred meters i stopped and switched back to the passenger seat. I cannot find words to describe the driving expierence.
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:54   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
For me it was a badly maintained tourist Tata sumo many years back which we had hired for a trip to Tirumala. I requested the driver to let me drive but within a few hundred meters i stopped and switched back to the passenger seat. I cannot find words to describe the driving expierence.
You continued travelling in that... pardon me, but, if you did not had the faith in that car, you ought to have an experience like a roller coaster in amusement park, or probably that driver understood his car better than you .
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:09   #424
BHPian

My worst is a badly maintained Maruti Omni

over the 50 km drive, I simply could NOT get over the fact that it did not have a self-centering steering - after each turn, I am used to loosening my grip over the steering, and waiting for the car to center itself - no such luck with the Omni - after each corner I had to tighten my grip, over-correct, counter-correct, re-correct and basically wallow side to side till I was in the lane I wanted ... and that too, while manipulating the completely out-of-place-for-my six-plus-feet pedals sticking out on two sides of the steering column - knees touch the steering if foot is on the pedal, and pedal gets fouled in shoes/trousers if foot is under the pedal! As for the handling and safety, nuff said on this thread already!

As a challenge, I would love to drive that car on snow some time I think that would be quite a thrill!

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd July 2012 at 17:12. Reason: ONLY 2 smileys per post. Read rules before proceeding. Thanks
pranav4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:04   #425

Would be Polo, the cabin was too cramped for my liking and the engine felt like one of those tata trucks when started. Initially struggled with the indicator and the wiper sticks, every turn I would end up starting the wiper on a summer afternoon.
RallyMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:55   #426
Senior - BHPian

In terms of maintenance, I once drove a Maruti 800 (the owner was in the co-driver seat). The battery wouldn't crank till I had switched off EVERYTHING and when I shifted into first (or any gear including neutral for that matter) the gear lever swayed (not 'shook'). I could hardly feel which gear I was shifting into, and it's a miracle I didn't slot it wrong. The owner proudly claimed the car has been running without any looking after, and later I checked the three year old car had already crossed 1L mark on the odo.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:45   #427
BHPian

For me, it would be the Maruti Omni . That was the car I learnt my driving with . Atrocious to drive and safety of matchbox case. Once, we were travelling between Akola and Amravati and the heavy rains and wind almost toppled the car . Actually, back then we did not care much for the drive dynamics and safety . Safety was only for Mercedes. In fact, we did not even have AC and a music system in the car. Ah ,those were the days

How the consumer tastes and priorities have evolved now. We had the Omni for 7 years, before it was traded for Palio.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 01:24   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
You continued travelling in that... pardon me, but, if you did not had the faith in that car, you ought to have an experience like a roller coaster in amusement park, or probably that driver understood his car better than you .
He is used to driving it and it must feel normal for him.
As for the sumo idea i had no say in it. My father gets these brilliant ideas sometimes. His reasoning was we hire a A/C sumo and have a relaxed trip instead of taking our car( we had a sonata, cielo and matiz at that time) I love to drive and the comfort of the sonata was miles ahead of that sumo)
The sumo A/C stopped working just 2 kms after we started from our home. I also think me driving at 3 digit speeds in those days like a unguided missile also had something to do with my fathers decision to hire a car with driver.

Last edited by dockap : 3rd July 2012 at 01:26.
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:29   #429
BHPian

My worst driven vehicle yet was a Matador Viking petrol minibus. It had a tiny 2-stroke petrol engine which was woefully underpowered for the size of the vehicle, and also had practically no bottom-end torque. As a result you had to keep shifting gears so as to keep the engine revving high, resulting in a haze of blue smoke (oil had to be added to the petrol). Besides, the steering wobbled and from time to time it would get into a self-induced oscillation from side to side. In such a situation one had to slow the vehicle down until the oscillations went away. The only good thing about the vehicle was a very smooth gearbox.

Thank God these vehicles have disappeared forever !
benu9714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:23   #430
BHPian

A badly maintained Driving School Maruti 800.
SedatedDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:27   #431
BHPian

The old i10 IRDE would be it, as per me.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:58   #432
BHPian

1. Indica
  2. Indigo
  3. Santro
  4. Spacio
karizma_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 20:12   #433
BHPian

The worst car i have ever driven was a 1st generation diesel Tata Indica, I believe Indica's have improved tremendously over time but that Car was just awful in every sense.

Another close candidate would be a Maruti 1000 that I had at 1st year in college in Delhi back in 1996. It was woefully under powered - I had to switch off the A/C in order to over take - it returned an FE of 8 KMPL and broke down thrice in the year I had it.
driven646 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 11:29   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
I was cautious driving a 2004 Scorpio on Shiradi Ghat. Its quite bouncy and scary after one crosses 110 kms.
Suresh..forget 110 Km. Even speeds of over 70 Km in mild rainy conditions can make a Scorpio behave erratically. If the banking of the road curves are done with errors, then the car looses control automatically; especially if you break suddenly and the over steer is something you wont be able to recover from.

I think the government should make ABS compulsory for all SUV manufacturers....
Turbo car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 11:47   #435
Senior - BHPian

It has to be Tata Safari, the latest one top end some 14L on road. One of my friends had called up for TD. I always liked the Tata Safari since i read the test ride in 1998 in auto India, but never drove one till now. I have driven worst car than this but i can not understand that how someone is still willing for pay 14L for this :o. Steering was very horrible, gear lever almost went in the passenger footwell while putting in first. Suspension was like seasaw. Not at all worth the money Tata is asking. And it was a new customers car with speedo removed :-/, which i realized after few kms, Dealer Tafe reach chennai.
Rahulkool is online now   Reply With Quote