Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th January 2011, 11:28   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Diesel CRV - SPY PICS!

The CR-V is due for a redesign in 2012 as per Honda's dealer memo for the US market, so wont it be late in the product cycle to introduce the diesel CR-V?
Old 26th January 2011, 12:31   #137
BHPian

@ACM: w.r.t comparison with BMW X1. CRV diesel will provide a car like experience with SUV like stance / space and ride quality on cratered roads. X1 will provide the same with all that comes with a BMW on a relatively smaller vehicle.

However I and some I know in my cohort suffer from a surprising problem that will make them stay away from an X1. They want to avoid being seen as owning a BMW. And that's not a typo! A friend of mine sold an X3 and is on course to buy a Yeti because in his own words, "I could not handle the badge value".

With advance apologies and with no malice to all those who own one, I am afraid that the joy that is BMW comes with being seen as "having arrived in life" (though I am too far from it ). There is a fear of an about-turn in the attitude of your friends, relatives and the many acquaintances towards you. A sudden found respect / authority like that of a newly elected politician is vested unto you that you just do not want, least of all from those who matter to you. Maybe I am wrong but when my pal sold his X3, it confirmed what I feared. So maybe I would go for a BMW if it were available without the badge value . Or there should be too many in number on the road to make you feel "one among many".

Secondly over the long run the cost of owning a CRV will be surely be less than that of an X1. So even with a minor difference in the price on the ticker, I and many like me would prefer the CRV over X1. This assumes the choice narrows down to CRV and X1 and for long term ownership.

Cheers,

P.S: Just expressing my honest views & feelings with no intent to start any "war of words"

Last edited by diffsoft : 26th January 2011 at 12:33. Reason: Adding the disclaimer in the end
Old 26th January 2011, 17:13   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
@ACM: w.r.t comparison with BMW X1. CRV diesel will provide a car like experience with SUV like stance / space and ride quality on cratered roads. X1 will provide the same with all that comes with a BMW on a relatively smaller vehicle.

However I and some I know in my cohort suffer from a surprising problem that will make them stay away from an X1. They want to avoid being seen as owning a BMW. And that's not a typo! A friend of mine sold an X3 and is on course to buy a Yeti because in his own words, "I could not handle the badge value".

With advance apologies and with no malice to all those who own one, I am afraid that the joy that is BMW comes with being seen as "having arrived in life" (though I am too far from it ). There is a fear of an about-turn in the attitude of your friends, relatives and the many acquaintances towards you. A sudden found respect / authority like that of a newly elected politician is vested unto you that you just do not want, least of all from those who matter to you. Maybe I am wrong but when my pal sold his X3, it confirmed what I feared. So maybe I would go for a BMW if it were available without the badge value . Or there should be too many in number on the road to make you feel "one among many".

Secondly over the long run the cost of owning a CRV will be surely be less than that of an X1. So even with a minor difference in the price on the ticker, I and many like me would prefer the CRV over X1. This assumes the choice narrows down to CRV and X1 and for long term ownership.

Cheers,

P.S: Just expressing my honest views & feelings with no intent to start any "war of words"

I quite agree. I personally know someone who wanted to shy away from the badge of a german luxury car and buy a honda or toyota or VW, just to avoid the limelight. Plus the total cost of ownership over a period of 5 years for a Merc or Beamer is way heavy on the pocket compared to a Honda or Toyota.
If I remember correct a few months ago there was this Gentleman from bombay with a thread on team-bhp with 30lacs+ to spend but in a dilemma over the badge value. He finally settled for a Honda Accord.
Old 26th January 2011, 21:33   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
@troublemaker

I dont think Honda sellls Civic and Accord ( The models that we get here) in diesel elsewhere. But yes the CRV is sold as a diesel. Honda does sell a diesel powered Accord in Europe but that's not the car which we get here.
I just meant to say that if Honda can mount 2.2 -CTDi in Accord Europe (Honda Accord Saloon | Book Test Drive | Specification, Finance & Information) and Civic Europe (Full Specification | Civic 5 Door | New Cars | Honda (UK)), it would be easy to mount the same motor in Accord India and Civic India.

I mean both Euro and Non-Euro Petrols use the K series engines.
Old 27th January 2011, 00:11   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
the CRV was fantastic but its appetite for petrol has brought down its sales to two and three digit numbers every month.
The CRV 2.0 L manages 7.5 to 8.0 kpl consistantly..

What killed the CRV was the 5.0-6 lakh price hike!!
Old 27th February 2014, 23:08   #141
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the scoop section of the Autocar show in which Hormazd Sorabjee mentioned that the Diesel CR-V would be coming to India next year with a 1.6 litre diesel engine! Its the same engine from the European Civic. Prices for the diesel CR-V could start at Rs 25 lakh.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...15-373630.aspx

Last edited by PPS : 27th February 2014 at 23:11.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread