Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 24th March 2008, 22:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

And what would be the expected pricing?I suppose it would be at least 1-2 L more than the petrol variant.Will it carry the torch from where Tucson left.
ram
Old 24th March 2008, 22:45   #32
BHPian

IMO the diesel crv should cost about 3L more than the petrol variant otherwise if the price difference is not much the petrol sales may experience a downfall.
Old 24th March 2008, 23:33   #33
BANNED

Honda makes strategic moves. In Jan 08, GM launched Captiva. I wonder how many know about it. This won't happen with Honda products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
same with honda. absolutely no diesels in their indian portfolio inspite of having brilliant honda diesels available abroad. are these manufacturers mad? or are they plain stupid!
Old 24th March 2008, 23:41   #34
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Honda has no oil burner in its portfolio and if it would plan to introduce one i dont think it wouldn't start with CRV. As the price would be higher than the petrol version. For the GV and Captiva price point the 2.0L 2wd has been launched.
Old 25th March 2008, 10:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, Honda has absolutely no plans as of now for a diesel engine for India.
Old 25th March 2008, 11:08   #36
BHPian

Honda may not be offering all the models that we may like like many other full fledged automobile company , but surely whatever they offer , is one of the best in its segments albeit they may be overpriced in comparison to their offerings in overseas markets.
A petrol CRV for 20 lakhs / diesel CRV for 22 lakhs, makes not much sense to most of us as its definitely not worth that price though it may be better than its competitors , but at this price its simply fleecing.

I hope one fine day, Maruti comes up with a similar product at fair price ( not an imported Vitara ) and then lets see if Honda retains its price tag on CRV or is forced to manufacture in India or NOT. Till then - grapes are not worth the price - though its not sour.
Old 25th March 2008, 12:08   #37
Team-BHP Support

If Suzuki can locallize the Vitara enough to take the price tag down by 30%, and plonk in a diesel at that price (120bhp would be more than adequate), it will cause a serious dent to CRV.
At the current price, people prefer to pay premium for the CRV.

However, I do not feel that honda is testing diesel options due to Vitara. Its due to captiva.
Last week I saw 3 captiva's on the Kaladunghi Nainital highway.
All with families.
It sure looks to be a runaway success.
Old 25th March 2008, 12:26   #38
BHPian

Thank you Mods for giving me the credit for the pics. Especially Ajmat & tsk1979.
Old 25th March 2008, 12:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

i dont see nothing to get exited about really. this comes out it will be for 23 to 25 laks easy, then again are normal people who care about FE are gonna buy it uh NO, so the ones that have a lotta money dont really care diesel or petrol. these cars have to come to india at real prices what they are globally. tuscon was a diesell at around 16 still it was never a huge hit. this will be a HUGE hit only at 16 laks. it comes out its gonna rock for sure too bad not all are gonna be able to buy them
Old 25th March 2008, 14:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If Suzuki can locallize the Vitara enough to take the price tag down by 30%, and plonk in a diesel at that price (120bhp would be more than adequate),
do you have the fiat 1.9MJD 16valve(detuned) in your mind??
May be the Suzuki guys should pull lot of strings with GM to get it in India. I think its already there in the SX4 outside India. But I dont think that they can get bring down the costs by 30% !!!

I think even at the current price(around 14lakhs) with 1.9MJD it would boost up the sales. But I dont think it would be a huge hit and no way would compete with HONDA, as Suzuki doesnt have that Image in India. Its just my personal opinion.

raj.
Old 25th March 2008, 14:55   #41
BHPian

But there are some really weird people who'll buy a 20+ lakh car and they'll get a diesel to save money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
i dont see nothing to get exited about really. this comes out it will be for 23 to 25 laks easy, then again are normal people who care about FE are gonna buy it uh NO, so the ones that have a lotta money dont really care diesel or petrol. these cars have to come to india at real prices what they are globally. tuscon was a diesell at around 16 still it was never a huge hit. this will be a HUGE hit only at 16 laks. it comes out its gonna rock for sure too bad not all are gonna be able to buy them
Old 25th March 2008, 15:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

That diesel Honda is something special. Refined to the point of being silky smooth, it has the potential to leave the competition gasping for air, if introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If Suzuki can localize the Vitara enough to take the price tag down by 30%, and plonk in a diesel at that price (120bhp would be more than adequate), it will cause a serious dent to CRV.
At the current price, people prefer to pay premium for the CRV.
Still don't understand why companies overlook the SKD/CKD route or local assembly for some of their models. The argument that they don't do enough numbers doesn't hold good, in fact it is the other way around. Manufacture locally, bring down the price like tsk discussed above and watch numbers go through the roof!
Old 25th March 2008, 15:23   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
But there are some really weird people who'll buy a 20+ lakh car and they'll get a diesel to save money.
I concur, somebody I know bought a 16+ lakh endeaver instead of the vitara because vitara is petrol and he does not want to pay high fuel bills
Old 25th March 2008, 15:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Now that i-DTEC phase 1 and phase 2 will be introduced in U.S, Japan and Europe next year, they will send a i-CTDI to India !!
Old 25th March 2008, 15:30   #45
BHPian

Default Picture in Autocar India

Hi, saw the same photo in the Autocar India
Well done Raajiv to take the pic of the vehicle
I think it will give a good competition to other Diesel SUVs
We will have to wait and see how the Honda Diesel engine performs
I am sure it will be highly economical.
Honda could also have thought about the Desiel Hydrids aswell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajiv View Post
Is Honda trying to launch the Diesel CRV?I received a couple of spy pics from my friend working in Noida.

Here you go enjoy the shots. cheers:

Note from mod: Picture courtesy car_crazy1400 and Autocar India

Attachment 3502
Attachment 3503
Attachment 3504
Attachment 3505
Attachment 3506
Attachment 3501
Closed Thread