| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|31st January 2005, 20:51||#1|
Distinguished - BHPian
Join Date: Feb 2004
Thanked: 2,589 Times
INFO : Tips on driving in Fog
Hi guys its winter already & many of us live in places which has from heavy fogs.. so here are a few tips on how to ride/drive safely in a foggy situation, U can contribute by addidng ur own tips too
· Avoid driving in heavy fog. Find a safe place to park the vehicle and wait until visibility improves. While leaving the road, be sure to pull off completely. Turn off your headlights and turn on your 4-way flashers. If you choose to stay inside the car, keep your seat belt fastened for protection.
· While you may be able to see the vehicle ahead because of its lights, pedestrians and obstructions on the road may not be visible at even half the distance. Drive slower.
· Carefully watch the vehicle ahead of you so that you are able to respond safely if it brakes.
Compensate for diminished vision by relying more on sound. Turn off the radio/music player and set the blower motor at the lowest level to keep the windshield clear. If possible, roll down the window a bit to hear other vehicles.
· For fastest defogging, use the AC with the temperature set at 'hot'. This will also clear fog from other windows.
· Avoid sudden stops and turns. Remember the driver behind you is also facing the same visibility problems. Pump the brakes well ahead of where you plan to stop. If turning, put on your turn signals early so drivers behind you have ample warning of your intentions. Turn off the 4-way flashers well before you reach the turn, so that your turn indication is visible.
|1st February 2005, 10:19||#3|
Join Date: Apr 2004
Thanked: 219 Times
Something most people are not aware off when driving in fog -
Never drive with your high beams on. That will only diminish your visibility as the extra light reflecting off the fog just makes it harder to see. Infact, I suggest driving with only your fogs on, or if you don't have them, on the low beam. This way you will see more, and not blind the apporaching vehicles as well.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|ARTICLE: Guidelines & Tips for Safe Driving in FOG||SS-Traveller||Drive Safe||72||16th November 2017 10:41|
|Driving in India after driving outside (abroad) - tips to avoid common mistakes||mmxylorider||Drive Safe||24||9th October 2014 20:06|
|Fog lamps without fog||dushmish||Road Safety||113||5th January 2012 12:51|
|Need Info: Sunfilm/SeatCover/Power Window/Fog Lamp||souravbasu||Modifications & Accessories||3||3rd April 2006 10:53|