Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th January 2014, 22:27   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Transfering a vehicle within India: Procedures

Hello folks, I live in Bangalore and I m planning to buy a car that is registered outside Karnataka. The car is in the name of its first owner. Can you please share your inputs on the order of execution.

1) Create an address proof for me in the state where the car has current registration.
2) Do a local transfer of the car to my name where I will be the second owner.
3) Get NoC from the state to transfer out.
4) Pay local KA tax in Bangalore on the depreciated invoice value.
5) Apply for registration in Karnataka.
6) After obtaining registration, get refund in the earlier state.

If there is any better way to do this, especially the order of the first three steps, please let me know. Also should we do 4 before 3. Also is 1 and 2 avoidable by getting NoC from buyer and directly transferring it to my name in Karnataka.

Can you also throw some light on the time generally taken for steps 3, 5, 6, atleast to the extent of whether it is in weeks or months or years.
vishnugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 00:47   #107
Senior - BHPian

Yes, 1 & 2 are completely avoidable. Start by signing a sale letter and then take it from 3 to move ahead and get the vehicle transferred and registered in your name simultaneously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
Also is 1 and 2 avoidable by getting NoC from buyer and directly transferring it to my name in Karnataka.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 07:50   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Yes, 1 & 2 are completely avoidable. Start by signing a sale letter and then take it from 3 to move ahead and get the vehicle transferred and registered in your name simultaneously.
Hi Khoj, thanks a ton. I was worried about the complexity of creating an address proof for myself. Is there any standard template for sale letter. Should it be executed on stamp paper or just on a letter head. Is this not the transfer forms form 28, 29, 30.

Last edited by vishnugs : 19th January 2014 at 07:52.
Old 19th January 2014, 10:17   #109
BHPian

The first two steps are not required. You can buy a car and straightaway have your existing address where you propose to register the car mentioned on it. The concerned RTO will issue you with an NOC to transfer the car outside the state.

Thereafter you can approach the RTO of your state, take the calculation of the taxes that need to be deposited and get the car registered and transferred to your name. This completes the entire process of transfer.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 12:53   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
The first two steps are not required. You can buy a car and straightaway have your existing address where you propose to register the car mentioned on it. The concerned RTO will issue you with an NOC to transfer the car outside the state. Thereafter you can approach the RTO of your state, take the calculation of the taxes that need to be deposited and get the car registered and transferred to your name. This completes the entire process of transfer.
Mints, that simplifies the process considerably. Is any sale letter that is required other than form 28,29,30. If so is there any template for that.
Old 19th January 2014, 13:06   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Mints, that simplifies the process considerably. Is any sale letter that is required other than form 28,29,30. If so is there any template for that.
Hi, normally RTO's do not insist for sale letters.

My experience says that generally the seller issues a letter to an RTO mentioning that he/she has sold his/her car to so and so person who is son/daughter of and permanent resident of (All details to be filled as the case may be) bearing registration no, chassis No and engine number on such and such date and time.

Further, he also state and undertakes at the time of delivery the car is not involved in any accident or legal tangle i.e free from all encumbrances and he will be held liable in case such a thing arises after giving delivery to you.

After taking the delivery it is completely your responsibility and he will have no bearing what so ever.

This copy is given to you under due acknowledgement and the seller keeps a copy of this letter for his records. This letter can be used as a sale letter. You may or may not wish to add the buying cost in the letter.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 14:29   #112
Senior - BHPian

One of the forms mentioned by you is indeed the sale letter. Besides these and the NoC do obtain a copy or original (if possible) of the dealer's invoice. Your RTO will ask for it in order to compute the road tax payable. In it's absence they will either ask you to find out the price of the given vehicle model(in the year of its manufacture/sale) from local dealers or if it is a popular model, they might access their own data base for the information.

Quote:
Hi Khoj, thanks a ton. I was worried about the complexity of creating an address proof for myself. Is there any standard template for sale letter. Should it be executed on stamp paper or just on a letter head. Is this not the transfer forms form 28, 29, 30.
Old 8th March 2014, 19:22   #113
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2009 Dzire registered in HR. After retirement I settled down in Bangalore. Now I want to get a KA number but do not have an NOC from HR. And it will be very difficult to get one as I would have to get someone to do the leg work over there.

I came across this in the website http://rto.kar.nic.in/REREGN-Proccss.html
quoting the relevant para below:-

"In case NOC has not been obtained at the time of migration, the registered owner is required to apply in form no 28 (in quadruplicate) to the previous registering authority along with documents for issue of NOC , and submit the NOC obtained for consideration of Re - Registration application. In case, no reply is received from the previous registering authority even after 30 days, the registered owner shall submit a copy of the form no. 28 applied, along with the postal acknowledgement for having submitted before the previous registering authority, and a declaration stating that " the application for NOC has neither been rejected nor any reply received from the previous registering authority" to whom the application has been made."

I know that tax would be the first thing to pay before re registration.

My Q is 1. Has anyone got KA re registration done WITHOUT an NOC, that is by following above procedure. and 2. If not, what are my options?
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 23:47   #114
Senior - BHPian

Best Option is to pay the KA taxes and retain the HR number, in this case you will not need a NOC in this car and the tax paid receipt will hold good for any run ins with RTO squads. This is a legally allowed alternate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I have a 2009 Dzire registered in HR. After retirement I settled down in Bangalore. Now I want to get a KA number but do not have an NOC from HR. And it will be very difficult to get one as I would have to get someone to do the leg work over there.

2. If not, what are my options?
Old 10th March 2014, 10:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Best Option is to pay the KA taxes and retain the HR number, in this case you will not need a NOC in this car and the tax paid receipt will hold good for any run ins with RTO squads. This is a legally allowed alternate.
I would need to sell it in a few years, that is why the requirement of a KA number
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 18:56   #116
Senior - BHPian

In that case, if you do not have anyone to run around in HR you can approach the Automobile Association of South India and take their help. You will have to take up their annual membership and against that they will take car of obtaining the NOC etc all the way to getting you the KA number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I would need to sell it in a few years, that is why the requirement of a KA number
Old 13th March 2014, 16:17   #117
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I need some help.

I have listed my CE500 for sale and a buyer is interested. But he is based in Pune and i am in Ahmedabad and my bull is GJ1.

How easy? difficult? complicated? is the sale process? What all needs to be done?

Kindly advise.

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 23:21   #118
Senior - BHPian

The process is straight forward and if you were to go through this page itself (starting here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3347909 (Transfering a vehicle within India: Procedures)) you will find the procedure and recommendations therein. After going though the same if you have any queries all of us are here to share our experiences etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
How easy? difficult? complicated? is the sale process? What all needs to be done?
Old 18th March 2014, 18:04   #119
BHPian

Hi!

I will be moving to Hyderabad for one year starting April.

From what I gathered, I should be able to pay road tax for one year from date of entry, and that should suffice for driving around in AP.

Could a kind soul validate this opinion and suggest what the process and amount would be.

Thanks in advance!
lordavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 23:22   #120

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordavenger View Post
Hi!

I will be moving to Hyderabad for one year starting April.

From what I gathered, I should be able to pay road tax for one year from date of entry, and that should suffice for driving around in AP.

Could a kind soul validate this opinion and suggest what the process and amount would be.

Thanks in advance!
I am in the same boat, moving to Hyderabad from Pune next month. My DZire is on loan with SBI right now, checked with them and they are not ready to provide the NOC with permission to re-register, they said they can give NOC but with a note that it should not be re-registered. After spending some time and effort I dropped the idea of re-registration altogether.

So questions are:
1. Does AP have a short term/entry tax valid for 1 year as mentioned by LordAvenger?
2. If not and only Life time tax provision is there, will there be any problem in paying the tax without NOC from Pune? Some of the folks here have mentioned that tax can be paid even without an NOC, just wanted to confirm.
3. If I end up paying life time tax in Hyd, I will probably try to wrap up the loan early and then get it registered in Hyderabad in a year or so. Alternatively, will keep driving for some more time and then sell off the car in Maharashtra. Question is, If I just pay the LTT in Hyderabad, and keep driving the car for more than a year (As per law I should get it registered in AP if I am there for more than a year), would Cops/RTO guys give trouble?
4. If I pay LTT in AP and then come back to Maharashtra some time later, can I get partial refund from AP on the LTT I paid earlier? and what would be the process for that?
abhishekjoshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote