Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 17:59   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 109
Thanked: Once
Default Ford Fusion Caught fire:Will company cover warranty

Hi Friends,
An unfortunate thing happened this weekend with my friend who owns Ford Fusion Diesel purchased from Cauvery Ford 6 months ago. There was a short-circuit inside the bonnet near the battery (the cause is still unknown) and that caused fire to break in. My friend was driving it and suddenly saw smoke coming out of the bonnet. He immediately stopped the vehicle and tried fetching some water. In the mean time flames started emerging out of the bonnet. Finally he could manage to get help and stopped the fire but by that time, there was a lot of damage especially to all the plastic/fibre parts in and around the engine. The Cauvery 24/7 emergency service guys came and took the car to the service center. The cauvery people have taken photos and video of the car and sent to Ford Motors. They say that the car had a stereo which was fitted externally (not by the company) which could cause a short-circuit if wired carelessly. But Ford is yet to get back with their comments.

I just hope that Ford accept their responsibility and do up the car at their own cost. Fitting a stereo, that too a basic Pioneer from an Authorized dealer (Auto Planet, Koramangala) just cannot be the culprit. That too the stereo and the area near the dashboard is completely intact with no signs of any fire. What do you guys feel, what should be done in this case ? Does anyone know of any such incidents in past ? Please suggest.
Pani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 18:06   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,034
Thanked: 1,470 Times
Default

Lets defer our vedict until Ford gets back to your friend. For all we know, they might even do the needful.

But, unfortunate event, nevertheless.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 18:17   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

You are adviced to closely monitor the developments.Its an ufortunate event though.If the culprit is a stereo which was fitted out of the service centre then you might have a tough time.Still ,all luck and pport buddie.
ramsu
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 18:21   #4
BHPian
 
Hurrycane12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 457
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Unfortunate event for your friend i hope Auto planet's installation comes out clean else your friend will have to the blame on himself.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 18:26   #5
BHPian
 
gendarmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: India
Posts: 731
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

I cant say either for sure, but I can point out to a highlight of my ford experience, Them stressing on,"If you get even a single wire cut there the warranty will be void" stressing so much that they repeated that every time i asked about getting a new pair of horns. They even forced me get blaupunkt audio coz the wiring doesn't clip onto the sony player so the warranty gets void, right at the show room. When i said i'd get the system later he said any electrical stuff added outside the showroom render's the warranty void.
Needless to say, if you've got any after market electrical products or electric wiring altered they are going to repeat that and deny warranty.
They repeated that a hundred times, but before that sold a 3 year extended warranty, in their jargon any extra electrical equipment fixed has to be "clip on" some thing that can be hooked on w/o cutting any wire in the harness.
I haven't been able to fix Trumpet horns on it, I hate the single female tone horn on it, they also say that fixing a 4 Amp horn screws the wiring and stresses the circuit, My kine has been handling those horns it for the last 6 years with a cut out, i just don't understand why ford cant.

Last edited by gendarmee : 31st March 2008 at 18:29. Reason: Typo
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 18:27   #6
BHPian
 
prabuddhadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 731
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Slightly off topic, but I had a bonnet light fitted in my 800, and once while fiddling with its switch, the insulation of the wires caught fire. I just managed to yank the wire off from the other end (battery end) and hold it away from everything else. I had a rag in my hand, which helped.

The light had been fitted by the dealer at the time of delivery of the car. Still, I immediately removed it completely.

I hope things fall into place for your friend, Pani.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 19:44   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,372
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post
Hi Friends,
An unfortunate thing happened this weekend with my friend who owns Ford Fusion Diesel purchased from Cauvery Ford 6 months ago. There was a short-circuit inside the bonnet near the battery (the cause is still unknown) and that caused fire to break in. My friend was driving it and suddenly saw smoke coming out of the bonnet. He immediately stopped the vehicle and tried fetching some water. In the mean time flames started emerging out of the bonnet. Finally he could manage to get help and stopped the fire but by that time, there was a lot of damage especially to all the plastic/fibre parts in and around the engine. The Cauvery 24/7 emergency service guys came and took the car to the service center. The cauvery people have taken photos and video of the car and sent to Ford Motors. They say that the car had a stereo which was fitted externally (not by the company) which could cause a short-circuit if wired carelessly. But Ford is yet to get back with their comments.

I just hope that Ford accept their responsibility and do up the car at their own cost. Fitting a stereo, that too a basic Pioneer from an Authorized dealer (Auto Planet, Koramangala) just cannot be the culprit. That too the stereo and the area near the dashboard is completely intact with no signs of any fire. What do you guys feel, what should be done in this case ? Does anyone know of any such incidents in past ? Please suggest.
Thats very unfortunate. Since you have meddled with the factory electical wiring they obviously have a reason for not covering the damage cost under warranty but try talking to the manager of the Service station . He may help you out. I dont think ford is going to accept the resposiblitly for the mishap .
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 19:45   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 28
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hey friend.

I had similar experience with my Fiesta 1 year back. All the wiring got burnt.

100% it wont come under warranty.

I even wrote to ford US and India but only one answer was extra fittings voilate warranty terms.

I had to sell of my car and later bought a new one.
students is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 20:01   #9
LLL
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 634
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by students View Post
Hey friend.

I had similar experience with my Fiesta 1 year back. All the wiring got burnt.

100% it wont come under warranty.

I even wrote to ford US and India but only one answer was extra fittings voilate warranty terms.

I had to sell of my car and later bought a new one.
So basically you are saying that you can only install a ford accessory via a ford AD. Anyways, in case the fire is not due to an external electrical fitting, how will you prove that?

BTW, eliminated all ford cars from my buying list for ever.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 20:04   #10
BHPian
 
rajivanoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

I am sure they wont give any compensation, even if there is fault on their wiring, they try to blame on us. In your case it is clear that your friend hav fitted stereo out of showroom . So they say warranty is void. Not only ford, any company will say this once the problem comes
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 20:07   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,359 Times
Default

If the stereo installation is indeed the culprit, one can't expect Ford to bear the cost of the damage caused. Now coming to the question as how a basic thing as a stereo can affect a car, the answer is it does. Even on my friends swift the dealer just warned, not fitting a non-conforming stereo from outside, as the ECU is wired to monitor the electrical circuits, he said.

This is vastly different from the archaic cars we drove in the past where even a lead could be built up from within the battery itself to only tap a part of the total voltage to play almost anything that runs on battery within a car, without things going wrong.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 20:11   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default

I have to mention something here. I recently tried to burn a Scosche 4 gauge cable that I had lying around with me. It did not catch fire. It melted but it did not ignite. If I were in your place I would blame the wire and not Ford.

All I am trying to say is that good quality wires dont burn.

Last edited by vikram_d : 31st March 2008 at 20:12.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 20:31   #13
BHPian
 
prabuddhadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 731
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I have to mention something here. I recently tried to burn a Scosche 4 gauge cable that I had lying around with me. It did not catch fire. It melted but it did not ignite. If I were in your place I would blame the wire and not Ford.

All I am trying to say is that good quality wires dont burn.


Just what I had thought when my bonnet light wire insulation caught fire. In fact I reacted fast enough more out of surprise than any presence of mind.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 23:47   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 109
Thanked: Once
Default

Guys, first of all we didnt cut/modify any wiring to fit in the Stereo. It was just plugged into the sockets provided at the dashboard panel. Also there was absolutely no trace of fire/spark/smoke at the origin of the stereo end (i.e rear end of the stereo).

Ford has nowhere specified which brand of stereo is non-conforming to be fitted in a Fusion or what brand is THE brand to be used inside a Ford car (since Ford themselves dont manufacture Stereo systems).
Moreover the Stereo is still safe and running. The stereo can be fitted on any car and checked if its drawing more power than recommended or does it have some shortcomings that can cause a short-circuit.

Does it make sense to move to consumer forum in case Ford doesnt consider warranty ??
Pani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 00:03   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 294
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

I am no expert in this. But doesnt insurance help in this ?
They are supposed to cover fire and theft right?
druva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NH-17 Company Owned Company Operated Petrol Pumps (COCO PPs) Venkat Street Experiences 15 20th March 2016 21:33
Hyundai to exit its 'Company Owned & Company Operated' Showroom in New Delhi mints21 Indian Car Dealerships 5 19th May 2015 19:22
From Fusion to Fusion: My Ford Fusion Diesel Plus (TDCi/DuraTorq) Glass Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 87 9th July 2013 19:50
VW Dealer Woes : Polo fuel pump failed. Dealer won't cover in warranty NOS Power Indian Car Dealerships 30 19th January 2013 23:57
Ford cuts price of Fusion diesel by Rs 22,000 + Fusion Plus re-introduced ajnagpur The Indian Car Scene 40 3rd June 2008 10:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks