Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th May 2008, 20:24   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
ACI mentions over 3500 have been sold so far (in 3 months) which is not bad for an overpriced car.

I would be impressed if they maintain these sales.... But it is still early days.
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 23:39   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just like Civic hatch (which you have confessed to have a preference for in case it becomes a reality over the likes of City/Fiesta/Verna etc) you can think of Fabia as hatch version of Octy (same great quality, interiors even better, all features you can ask for except auto aircon, better stereo than octy, parktronic that is not there in octy, smaller engine to improve FE which is so important in India). Octy is a 11-12lakh rupees car (just like Civic) so in a sense Fabia is a more affordable Skoda. A Rs. 8 lakh 1.4l Petrol Elegante has everything in that one wants in a good luxury car (for 10lakh or less) that even puts sedans in the same price range to shame.
I wholeheartedly agree with your views on considering the Fabia as the hatch version of Octy. But... What about the engine? I don't mean they are bad at all. But we expect more powerful engines at that price. Atleast the 1.9TDI.

Quote:
Fiesta lacks most of these features as well, SX4 well doesnt look like a luxury car (its just loaded tincan on 4 wheels), Verna also doesnt have most of these features.
Agreed these sedans might not have many features. But..
Fiesta P-out and out driver's car
Verna D-same as above
SX4 - Loaded to the tooth at a throwaway price. Just wait for the 1.9DDiS
The above cars are targetted at different audience.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 08:36   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
What about the engine? I don't mean they are bad at all. But we expect more powerful engines at that price. Atleast the 1.9TDI.

Valid point... Perhaps a partially loaded car with a powerful engine is a better option than a fully loaded hatch with an average engine...
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 08:50   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with your views on considering the Fabia as the hatch version of Octy. But... What about the engine? I don't mean they are bad at all. But we expect more powerful engines at that price. Atleast the 1.9TDI.

Agreed these sedans might not have many features. But..
Fiesta P-out and out driver's car
Verna D-same as above
SX4 - Loaded to the tooth at a throwaway price. Just wait for the 1.9DDiS
The above cars are targetted at different audience.
Well about the engine thing I dont think most people in India are performance freaks. The 1.2l and 1.4l engines are good enough (according to road tests & reviews that I have read so far). In India FE is more important criterion than Performance (and with fuel costs increasing like anything every year it is going to be even more important in future) so I believe Skoda has got that right. These smaller engines are quite frugal and they would have helped bring down cost of the car. Just an Octy without a boot would have cost not less than 10 lakhs and that would not have sold at all!

Just as you have put it - this car is also targeted at different audience. Small families who need a luxurious, small, safe city commuter (highways once in months types) within 10lakhs budget. If you need performance you can always go for Verna etc. Why should every car be a high performance car? How many roads we have where you can drive cars at 150 kmph+ or accelerate without any obstructions? In an around delhi there are no such roads. In fact having seen (and heard of) so many high speed accidents on DND flyway & Greater Noida Expressway here you can say that I have developed an aversion for such cars. Speed is thrilling but it can also lead to fatal accidents. In Delhi in fact the speed limits for cars is just 50 KMPH! Even a 800 engine can easily pull you in Delhi!
As I said, Fabia is meant for different set of people. I am quite sure cars like that are the future of Indian car industry. Skoda probably are making lot of money on every Fabia sold (I sometime back learnt that maruti only pockets about Rs. 5000-10000 for every M800!). So if Fabia becomes even a moderate success (which it should as increasing congestion & fuel prices will force people to go for smaller cars) then others will also come up with similar models. already we've heard of Honda Jazz (though we still dont know when it will come... prob when it is old enough in western world to be dumped into a 3rd world country like India), Fiat GP, toyota (dont know what model/when), even Ford is also thinking of small luxurious car. Carmakers will actually make money on smaller luxurious cars in future in India!
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 12:58   #95
ssm

Default Wanted Review of Skoda Fabia Petrol 1.2 MPI

Has some one bought the new Fabia Petrol. WHat are the initial views.
The engine stats seem good for the city

Getz Prime - 1341cc - 83@5500 rpm - 118@3200rpm - 10.4,14.5 kmpl
Maruti Swift - 1298cc - 87@6000rpm - 113@4500rpm - 11.5,16.2 kmpl
Skoda Fabia - 1198cc - 70@5400rpm - 108@3000rpm

Fabia looks like a good torquey engine. Since the engine is small and also the power delivery is at low rpm expecting a higher fuel efficiency in the city driving.

What do you say Team-BHP experts?

Waiting for a ownership review of the petrol 1.2 V
ssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 17:56   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm View Post
Fabia looks like a good torquey engine. Since the engine is small and also the power delivery is at low rpm expecting a higher fuel efficiency in the city driving.
I'm no expert, but can say this on the basis of my short TD. I tried both the 1.2 and 1.4. The 1.2 felt a lot nicer to drive in the city roads. I didn't feel the lack of power with the AC on. I did not get a chance to drive either of the cars at higher speeds.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 15:55   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm View Post
Skoda Fabia - 1198cc - 70@5400rpm - 108@3000rpm

I'm sorry I may be blind. How does these figures make Fabia 1.2 a torquey engine? Saw the ad saying same today in newspapers, but how?

To put things into perspective, Hyundai I10 has the following figures

1086cc- 66.7ps@5500rpm-10.1kgm/2800rpm

i10 weighs 890 Kgs and Fabia? Their official site is mum about the weight. Figure I got from google is 1040Kg.
I am not talking about the fuel efficiency claim
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote