Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2010, 19:40   #91
BHPian

After giving out timeless beauties like Punto and Linea, I can't imagine FIAT bringing out a vehicle looking out like this which in IMHO is certainly not good looking. IDEA has crafted such beauties earlier for FIAT, what happened to this one??

FIAT you will be shooting in your foot with this one and also kill Punto in the process I fear..
Old 26th May 2010, 20:38   #92

Just get the feeling that Fiat is a bit hesitant with the Indian market. In trying to meet the demands of the market, Fiat is giving India cars that may say Fiat on the outside but are something completely different on the inside.
I simply cannot understand why Fiat plonked in such a lousy 1.2l engine in the Punto when it is one of those few companies which actually has the caliber to give us something wayy better.
Old 26th May 2010, 20:46   #93
BHPian

Lightbulb

It looks Decent in this video,not as ugly as people are making it out to be
Old 27th May 2010, 08:26   #94
BHPian

It sure isn`t ugly but in India only the bets and latest succeed so i would prefer if Fiat came out with the next gen Panda and not uno since it is a ghost name which people would like to forget.
Old 27th May 2010, 08:37   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuja365 View Post
but in India only the bets and latest succeed
All the models which are selling here like hot cakes are the best and latest? Till few months back, some manufacturer was selling 3 generations of the same car to customers under three different names and three of them were selling in good numbers! Now the oldest one is discontinued I guess. Not only one example, there are others too.

Last edited by clevermax : 27th May 2010 at 08:39.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:12   #96
BHPian

If you look in the video, the Uno with the body coloured bumper does not look as bad as the one with the non body coloured bumper. Its the grey bumper that makes the car look odd. My 2 cents.

And I agree completely with Clevermax, its not the best looking and the latest cars that sell the most in India. However, I am not sure whether the common perception would work well for a FIAT product in India. All we can do is to wait and watch.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:30   #97
Senior - BHPian

The new Uno could be a case of Functionality over Form...

The high roofline coupled with high seating position is comfortable for many, especially with arthritis & back problem. And if the prospective buyer goes for the MJD engine... guess he gets the best he can wish for (please bear in mind that there are people who go for so called ugly looking cars).

Further, it is marketing ploy of product differentiation by Fiat India (similar to what clevermax has pointed out) to increase sales numbers, as the Punto isn't doing well.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:38   #98
BHPian

Since the volume of ugly cars selling in India is huge, it looks like Fiat is playing the averages

They only need to get the price right.
Old 27th May 2010, 15:37   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The new Uno could be a case of Functionality over Form...

The high roofline coupled with high seating position is comfortable for many, especially with arthritis & back problem.
The Uno could be a practical car, but its not a tall boy design. Uno's dimensions are -- 3770x1640x1490 mm (L,W,H)

The height is same as that of Grande Punto (1490mm) and it is almost the same size as the Suzuki Swift (3755x1690x1510mm).

In comparison the height of Hyundai i10 (1550mm), Santro (1580mm) and Suzuki WagonR (1670mm) are way above that of Uno and more closer to that of Fiat Panda (1578mm).

Last edited by harishnair : 27th May 2010 at 15:41.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:03   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snan View Post
The last hot Red pic kind of masks the ugliness quite well.
I thougt "ugly" was the "nuvo beautiful" - I mean swift, a-star, ritz....

I think cuttingcrew agrees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingcrew View Post
ps. I kind of like the mini SUV kind of look !
I like the one in yellow - I will immediate fit bigger tyres and go in for the roof rails - but they don't like rails at all in the picture.

I feel that the wheel flares and over-sized black bumpers don't do any justice to the looks.

The a-symmetrical grille is unconventional - to the say the least. Radical styling from FIAT?
Old 27th May 2010, 16:13   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Now the oldest one is discontinued I guess. Not only one example, there are others too.
Only in BSIV cities, it appears. Why should anyone discontinue selling something - anything - which people are keen to lap up?

Ready for some economics class?

If you invest X amount of money to prepare Y number of products every year, and have to recover your investment over N years, then you have to spread the cost like this = [ X / (Y*N) ].

Greater the Y and greater the N, lesser will be cost and cheaper the product.

So as long as you recover your cost and some margin, you can go on peddling what your produce - as long as people are ready to buy.

This is the art which our two leading manufacturers have fine honed - and other hope of imitating....

BTW, 'Y' and 'N' cannot be defined in the first place. So, mostly, the initial projections will be low - meaning cost will be high - meaning the initial buyers will be paying a premium!

But I can prove myself wrong - why? Because, I paid just a shade under 5 lakhs for the Palio five years back - after it was a good seven years or so in production.

Now, despite being know-it-all, why would I pay more. I LOVE THE CAR, of course

Note from Mod: The discussion may continue over on the newer thread (Fiat to relaunch Uno with new engine, look) This thread is closed.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2010 at 11:25. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread