Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th September 2008, 15:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
here is link to 2009 model details. I am sure if priced right the new vitara with improved power (now comparebale to CRV with 2.4 ltr engine) can get greater success in India . I just hope they do not downgrade engine power for the 2009 model. (Any way not sure if CRV can deliver same power in India as global level by using Indian fuel, why should maruti downrate engine power to adjust for fuel quality?

GRV

http://www.caradvice.com.au/15899/20...-grand-vitara/
Thanks, but that link was given my me in another thread :-)

Do you have any inside dope on whether they will bring the 2009 model, and if so, when?
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 11:07   #62
GRV
BHPian

Unfortunately no, trying to reach some one in maruti in the know. Radhika das (being part of their ad team) could give us some clue. May be Sudev has contact atthe right place in Maruti. Sudev please help all of us

GRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Thanks, but that link was given my me in another thread :-)

Do you have any inside dope on whether they will bring the 2009 model, and if so, when?
GRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 13:10   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

PM'd NJ that will try to find any inside dope and report by next week.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 15:52   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
PM'd NJ that will try to find any inside dope and report by next week.
Thanks Sudev, really appreciate your help!!!
Old 10th September 2008, 13:44   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Sources say that the next lot would be landing in India in November and will need to get certification (change of engine) before being sent on for deliveries. And dealers have been given a intro talk at recent meetings.
So take you pick for waiting or buying something else.
Old 10th September 2008, 16:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sources say that the next lot would be landing in India in November and will need to get certification (change of engine) before being sent on for deliveries. And dealers have been given a intro talk at recent meetings.
Great news! Not sure how long it takes for certification - perhaps we are looking at Dec for deliveries?

Did you get any inputs on the price i.e. whether they will increase the price for the new engine?

Thanks for the help, by the way.
Old 10th September 2008, 20:18   #67
GRV
BHPian

Thanks Sudev

If we take it to be Jan 2009, it is not far away. If priced right I should start thinking about the new engine Vitara

GRV

Quote:
Old 10th September 2008, 23:34   #68
Senior - BHPian

Default Indian specs for 2009 Vitara?

Do you guys think that the engine will be detuned to ~ 141 HP from 166 HP i.e. a 15% reduction like in the current Vitara? In that case, it is not that significant a jump.

If Honda CRV in India can have international specs, I don't understand why Maruti has to reduce the power and the torque.
Old 11th September 2008, 07:03   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

I think eralier on I had shared the input that I got from Maruti engineering: "The engine is detuned on account of quality of fuel generally available in the country."

This means that if you can use premium fuels you can use original ECM (or ECU?)settings and boost up the power. This is one of the projects that I have in mind but have not been able to yet source original ECM.

Given this a jump from 119 to 138 is a 16% jump in power of current GV. Significant I would say.

@GRV : I do not have access to inner workings of MUL but from how pricing decision are generally done this would be taken up just prior to launch. 8-(
Old 14th September 2008, 14:25   #70
Senior - BHPian

Default 2nd Test Drive

Went for a test drive of the AT version. Was disappointing - distinct lack of pick up compared to the MT version.

Asked whether a black (blue-black) MT Vitara is available. The salesman said that a blue black can only be expected early next year!! They just have silver grey, white and beige.

Bangalore folks have no idea that a 2.4 L version is going to be launched. I also called up a Delhi dealer - they knew that a new version is coming, but didn't have details.

Overall, the feel was that Maruti is not really making things easier for the consumer to choose the Vitara. The sales person - who sells SX4 and Vitara - was not that excited about the GV. He admitted that Honda makes it easier on the customer e.g. one can see the colour of choice before buying. Difficult with the Vitara.

Interesting that the salesman said that they (the dealer - and thus the salesperson) get a much larger commission when they manage to sell a car that has been lying with Maruti or dealer for sometime. So this means salespeople are incentivized to push an older car to consumers.
Old 16th September 2008, 21:08   #71
GRV
BHPian

Thanks Sudev
I think Pricing for 2009 2.4 L will be limited by Outlander pricing i.e. it should be a couple of lakhs lower than Outlander or may be at par with Captiva. It may be somewhere 15.5 - 16.5 ex showroom in delhi and 3.2 Litre could be 5 lakhs more than 2.4 Liter (a rough estimate based on price difference it has in Canada). But this time as Rupee has depreciated a lot (46 to a dollar) vs. 2007 when rupee was 40 to a dollar , this could make CBD import very uncompetitive

please see the link: First drive of 2009
CD Article: 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara

@GRV : I do not have access to inner workings of MUL but from how pricing decision are generally done this would be taken up just prior to launch. 8-([/quote]
Old 26th September 2008, 08:39   #72
BHPian

the new Grand vitara tv. comercial.

one of the best TVCM from suzuki in recent year.
thainogkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 09:50   #73
Team-BHP Support

Did I hear 230HP in that commercial? Must be the 3.2L engine.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:44   #74
BHPian

"The new V-6, a 3.2-liter — a bored and stroked version of the old 2.7 but with variable valve timing — makes 230 bhp...that's 45 more bhp than the old 2.7, with reduced emissions. Better yet, fuel economy is improved, a rear-drive V-6 Grand Vitara now returning 18/24 in the EPA tests. That's a small price to pay in economy for the added power the V-6 brings. One gearbox is available with the V-6: a 5-speed automatic......This makes Suzuki's already pleasant little crossover SUV that much better, that much more of a competitor for the Honda CR-V, the best-seller in the class and a front-driver at heart"

taken from:
RoadandTrack.com -- New Car Search - Driving Impression: 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara (9/2008)
CaliforniaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 01:31   #75
BHPian

Facelifted Suzuki Grand Vitara now with 2.4L engine

the new 2.4 litre grand vitara.
the 3 door looks cute...
cs_rajesh is offline   Reply With Quote