Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th April 2008, 11:33   #1

Default Registration and Delivery on same day possible or not ?

Hi all,

One of my friend is supposed to take a delivery of Swift VDI today. The car is supposed to get registered today! The dealer Pratham, says that it cannot be registered and delivered the same day. Is this true? Is it safe to let ur car be there @ the dealer for a day or 2 with the dealer? Is there any chances of it being used as TD car? Please suggest

Thanks in Advance

Moderator's note: Thread moved to appropriate section.

Last edited by theMAG : 30th April 2008 at 23:15.
sri737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 15:14   #2
BHPian

It can be delivered the same day but without the number plates for it may take some time to paint it and get dried up, but they can give you a temporary number and you can take the delivery if that same day is auspisious or something for you, the Tax invoice will not be delivered on the same day, hence the dealers request you to take delivery the next day with all formalities done, I got my Swift Vxi yesterday that is on the same day when it was registered along with the number plates on, but it took a long time, had to wait until 7.30pm, got the vehicle on the road but unfortunately it started to down pour like hell... huh..
kingshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 17:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri737 View Post
Hi all,

One of my friend is supposed to take a delivery of Swift VDI today. The car is supposed to get registered today! The dealer Pratham, says that it cannot be registered and delivered the same day. Is this true? Is it safe to let ur car be there @ the dealer for a day or 2 with the dealer? Is there any chances of it being used as TD car? Please suggest

Thanks in Advance
It is possible to get the registration and delivery in same day.At the day of registration, the insurance cover starts. Ask your friend to collect the insurance cover and sales invoice certificate.The number plate will be provided the next day generally. All the best for the new car.
Naga_SwiSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:49   #4
BHPian

i took my car that way. 9am Tbhp PDI. 10 am I signed the rto papers & gave photos/ arrd proofs etc. 7pm took the delivery(without number plates). Had to go to collect the number plates next day.
Registration book came in after 7 days.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think it does take 2-3 days minimum.

There was this one time where dealer delivered the car with the number but he had already taken the papers from me earlier.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

It may take some time if the dealer is located at a different RTO "zone" from the one where your home address is. But a day is all that they need.. not more.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

My car was registered same day .... actually i went to the dealer in the morning then took the car for registration, after that they cleaned and polished it and it was delivered in evening
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:45   #8
BHPian

Default Possible

I got my Swift, my previous car (Indica) and my Bullet the same day of regn. In the morning they took them to RTO and in the evening got them with temp number, tax and insurance. But original numbers were informed me over phone in the eve /next day itself.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

your question sounds unusual.

is the dealer telling you that he can't get the registration done today?
or is he telling you that he can't deliver it today in spite of getting it registered today?

u only need registration tax paid receipt and insurance cover letter to get you on the road. rc-book, number plate etc can come later.

considering how well dealers 'work' with RTOs, registration hardly takes any time at all.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

The RTO procedure is that the car is taken to the RTO office (Not all dealers do this though, it basically depends on the dealer's "setting" with the RTO office) and after due inspection of the papers & chassis/engine no. traces the papers are submitted & a permanent number allotted to your car. You do not get the RC though as that is issued later (depending on state this can vary, Delhi/UP usually take 30 days or so) and you're given a receipt of the Road Tax deposited by you as proof of registeration.

And in the case of taking a temporary number the car does not need to go to the RTo at all.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:18   #11
BHPian

I got my car delivered with number plates the same day (evening 6pm) from Mandovi motors. if the registration happens in the morning, there is no reason why they cannot paint by the evening. i collected my sales invoice, tax paid receipt and insurance the same day. RC book came after a month.
suvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Temp. Plates are provided on the day of delivery itself. Permanent regn takes a day or more depending on "as Ishaan said" the "setting of the dealer with the RTO".

The registration docs come in after 15-30 days.

BUT it is technically possible to get the permanent no. on the same day itself.

In the 20 odd years that I have been buying cars, I have never had to send my car to the RTO. Guess it varies from state to state.

All the best for your new car !!!!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 2nd May 2008 at 13:58.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:22   #13
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
i took my car that way. 9am Tbhp PDI. 10 am I signed the rto papers & gave photos/ arrd proofs etc. 7pm took the delivery(without number plates). Had to go to collect the number plates next day.
Registration book came in after 7 days.

Regards,
DITTO for my car.

This is the normal timing in Bangalore.
If the registration process is over, you NEED NOT leave the car with the dealer, because you are the absolute & legal owner of the Vehicle.

Unless the dealer has some valid reasons dont leave your car.
cheers:
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:22   #14
BHPian

It is all right for you to leave the car with the dealer. It is better to take the delivery with the permanent number on the number plate.
cediafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri737 View Post
The dealer Pratham, says that it cannot be registered and delivered the same day. Is this true?
Registration is done at the RTO. It might take atmost couple of hours - drive to RTO & back, RTO inspection.
Delivery is done by the dealer after PDI (pre-delivery inspection). PDI might take a day.
These two are independent tasks. If the dealer can squeeze in registration task during PDI, its possible.
Quote:
Is it safe to let ur car be there @ the dealer for a day or 2 with the dealer? Is there any chances of it being used as TD car?
It boils down to ethics. Its upto the dealer. But most dealers don't do it.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote