Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th July 2015, 18:14   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
DO we have a list of cars with ESP which are less than 10 lac rs?
If we are looking at 10L On Road, only car that can come close is the polo gt tsi. Even that is more than 10L on road in most parts. The other candidate is the yet to be launched Ford aspire which potentially will fall around the 10L range.

If we consider ex showroom price around 10-11L, the vento tsi and Ford Ecosport comes into the list.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 19:38   #92
BHPian

Post Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
DO we have a list of cars with ESP which are less than 10 lac rs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If we are looking at 10L On Road, only car that can come close is the polo gt tsi. Even that is more than 10L on road in most parts. The other candidate is the yet to be launched Ford aspire which potentially will fall around the 10L range.

If we consider ex showroom price around 10-11L, the vento tsi and Ford Ecosport comes into the list.
Hi Guys,

So this will be the final list of cars with ESP and price less than 12lakhs.
  1. Polo GT TSI
  2. Vento (1.2TSI & 1.5TDI AT)
  3. Figo/Aspire 1.5L Ti-VCT AT
  4. EcoSport 1.5L Ti-VCT AT
If I missed any, please add to the list.

Also, one thing I observe here is, all these 4 cars are having automatic transmissions. Is there any restriction to have ESP on a manual transmission vehicle? If Polo GT TSI can have ESP then why not for Polo GT TDI ? Even the Abarth Punto, with highest performance in the lot, doesn't come with ESP. Where as Figo 1.5 Ti-VCT, with comparatively lesser performance, comes with ESP at a mere 6.98lakhs (ex-showroom) price tag. So, does it point to the need of an automatic gearbox to incorporate ESP?

What confuses me is, I remember watching the reviews of Polo GTI with manual transmission and having ESP. So, there are cars with manual transmission + ESP. There must be some other criteria, which play a role when it comes to the addition of ESP to the safety features of a car, at least in the Indian context. And by seeing the price of figo, I donít think cost is one among them. If somebody can throw some light on it, it would be helpful.

Thank you.
vpillai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 21:12   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Hi Guys,

So this will be the final list of cars with ESP and price less than 12lakhs.
  1. Polo GT TSI
  2. Vento (1.2TSI & 1.5TDI AT)
  3. Figo/Aspire 1.5L Ti-VCT AT
  4. EcoSport 1.5L Ti-VCT AT
If I missed any, please add to the list.

Also, one thing I observe here is, all these 4 cars are having automatic transmissions. Is there any restriction to have ESP on a manual transmission vehicle? If Polo GT TSI can have ESP then why not for Polo GT TDI.
The Rapid TDI AT will also be in the list. To answer part of your question, No there is no restriction on having ESC in an MT vehicle. The Hyundai Creta Diesel top end Manual Transmission comes with ESP and Hill Assist. Strangely the Creta Automatic variant does not get ESP or Hill Assist. I think the XUV 500 both manual and AT get ESP.

For the VW and Ford cars mentioned, I think these features are tied into their transmissions, and maybe it involves additional cost/work to enable it in the other manual variants which they do not want to do. Just my assumption. Could be wrong.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 19:15   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The Rapid TDI AT will also be in the list.
We should also add AMEO to the list. Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) is available on variants (CL, HL) equipped with DSG transmission.

I just wonder when Hyundai (except Creta), Honda and Maruti will start offering ESP in cars in 8 to 12 lac range
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 19:58   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
We should also add AMEO to the list. Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) is available on variants (CL, HL) equipped with DSG transmission.

I just wonder when Hyundai (except Creta), Honda and Maruti will start offering ESP in cars in 8 to 12 lac range
When the government rules mandate it, and if those government rules manage to make it past the despicable machinations of industry lobby groups.

For car makers to introduce it themselves, they need to be companies that compete on innovation and value addition to the customer, and the customers in the target market also need to encourage the same. For example, Volvo/Merc and Sweden/Germany.

Instead what we have are car makers that focus on rent-seeking and a target market where most of the people are too ignorant or just plain stupid to prioritize a feature like ESC over decals and stereo system.

Unfortunately, our political class since independence also being of the rent-seeking kind, we are likely to lag 20 years behind the western nations on safety regulations.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote