Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th October 2009, 00:15   #31
BHPian

There was a time when People thought that FIAT India would close down but it didn't.

Then there was the episode of shoddy service and pathetic after sales.

But evan after all this the company is still afloat.

And for the A.S.S. part they have TATA as a partner with them, not that TATA is any great but TATA enjoys a reputation which FIAT India at the moment does not.

The Punto & Linea are both basking in the glory of success currently and nothing really as of now has come up which would reduce that glory by a substantial margin.

So yes Fiat India is on the revival path but the process is still not complete there is still a long long way to go. Once FIAT India can convince the average Maruti / Hyundai / TATA buyer to buy a FIAT only then can the revival plan be complete. As FIAT in India is not a premium brand and hence it competes primarily for this share of the market. At this stage The FIAT brand in India can be said to have revived completely but maintaining it at that level would be an entirely different issue.
Old 6th October 2009, 00:35   #32
BHPian

In time[maybe 2 or 3 years],when "lekin yeh toh fiat hai","service nahin milta hai","resale nahin hai yaar",goes away through word of mouth marketing by the current punto and linea owners,fiat can said to be truly revived.
And that is only possible through consistency.

I have no problems with t.a.s.s,but fiat needs to be consistent over a period of time to be 're-born'
Old 6th October 2009, 00:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
How many of you actually think its high time Fiat should spin off from Tata for Sales and services front. Again, I am not talking about the manufacturing front.
Do you think the A.S.S for Fiat will improve if they do so?
I somehow feel it will help thier brand image.

Fiat should be with TATA as their sales are not very big to have their own sales & service setups. With a sale of only apporx 3k vehicles per month All India, they cannot afford to keep their own seperate setup.

I feel they should infact have seperate executives & train them for better sales & service within the TATA network.
Old 6th October 2009, 00:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Definitely good signs for Fiat India

But its a little early to say. Fiat has to atleast maintain the sales for a couple of years. I hear Linea sales are dwindling already. These are not good signs.

Fiat need to:
1) Stop selling Palio, the decade year old warhorse.

2) 5L Palio came with 100bhp 1.6 engine and 8L Linea comes with 95bhp engine. Not a good step. They need more engine options. A modern 125bhp 1.6 for the Linea and the Punto. People who are performace crazy will be forced to buy the GP.

3) Introduce more modern models which are built in India. I don't think the 500 or the Bravo helped their image.

4) The above three points will help sales to increase. When sales increase, the company will have more profits which should help them increase their service centres.

5) If points 1-4 are successful, the resales are bound to be good.

According to me, this is how Fiat should proceed. Now that they see some light at the end of the tunnel, its time to work hard and party harder for Fiat!
Old 6th October 2009, 01:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Its time for Fiat India to start developing a India-specific sub GP hatch to replace the Palio,now that things are starting to look up!

The Palio,though a fantastic car, is at the end of its tether in India.The Palio somehow has bore the brunt of the bad image of Fiat in India.It won't do well anymore.No matter even if they get the Brazilian facelifts.

The Linea and the GP have really changed the fortunes of Fiat,just like the R15 and the FZ16 did for Yamaha.Good products suitable for a market can always bail you out!
Old 6th October 2009, 08:58   #36
BHPian

Not yet. But they are on right track. They have a long way to go, before people start taking the brand seriously. Fiat makes one of the best budget cars in the world. But they have too many issues bothering them here. Steps are being taken and results are being seen by t-bhpians. But the general populations perception and their confidence is what matters and thats what will revive the brand no matter, how we praise or criticise their cars here.

As of now, its only the bold who buy. This has to change.

In the small car space, theres lot of competition coming up their way- Polo, Figo, etc which can take some sales away from Punto. So from sustaining numbers to brand building to service improvements they have a lot to do.

I guess they would do just about OK - neither great nor bad in 2yrs.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:34   #37
BHPian

I think numbers will assist and even force them to have dedicated sales channel and A.S.S. very soon. Right now they will do well to concentrate on product quality and engine options.

Niggling problems are a big turnoff for most consumers. And fiat was always about driving pleasure - read better engine options.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:43   #38
BHPian

It's very heartening to note that Fiat is doing well in India.I will not go to the extend of saying that Fiat's revival is complete.

I personally feel that they should stick to Tata for the time being. Given the present conditions, I don't think they can afford to go on their own.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Not yet. But they are on right track. They have a long way to go, before people start taking the brand seriously. Fiat makes one of the best budget cars in the world. But they have too many issues bothering them here. Steps are being taken and results are being seen by t-bhpians. But the general populations perception and their confidence is what matters and thats what will revive the brand no matter, how we praise or criticise their cars here.

As of now, its only the bold who buy. This has to change.

In the small car space, theres lot of competition coming up their way- Polo, Figo, etc which can take some sales away from Punto. So from sustaining numbers to brand building to service improvements they have a lot to do.

I guess they would do just about OK - neither great nor bad in 2yrs.
+1

I feel the more cars that are seen on the roads the more confidence people will start to have in the Fiat brand. In the Grande Punto they have chosen the right model for their revival in India. Even naysayers like me will not deny that simply a look at the car makes you feel like buying it. If they are able to sustain their sales and service for a year more the brand will enhance its reputation and it will be a platform for them to get a better market share.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:50   #40
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
How many of you actually think its high time Fiat should spin off from Tata for Sales and services front. Again, I am not talking about the manufacturing front.
Do you think the A.S.S for Fiat will improve if they do so?
I somehow feel it will help thier brand image.
No they are better off this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
I strongly think that there should be dedicated Fiat only A.S.Ctrs manned by well trained bright and fresh engineers/personnel, and not from the existing lot who just seem to migrate from one brand to another and crry along with the same insensitive and unprofessional service culture.
No they are better off this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
surely Fiat has managed to resurrect its image a bit in the indian market but it still has lots to prove.Still there are mixed reports as far as A/S/S is concerned.
The partnership with TATA has made the difference i feel.
It is actually due to TATA that we do see an improvement in Fiat Service, which was much worse earlier, they need to continue this, even if TATA service is not perfect. The numbers from FIAT itself, now and even in another 2 years would not be high enough to justify independent service centre. It is a different thing with premium brands, like Merc, BMW, Skoda, etc who even with smaller numbers can afford to have independent service centres as the service charges are high, but the FIAT service is supposed to be lowest cost as it addresses the low and mid market, and they need the support of TATA for this.

As far as their reviwal is concerned, they are already doing well as a company in India thanks to their Engines and now it is only about them doing well as a Brand for Cars, the numbers of Linea and Fiat though promissing are not really setting the scales on fire, and they need to consolidate these, they know this and are focussing on boosting the figures through marketing and new variant launch.
Old 6th October 2009, 10:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Instead of coming up with all new car, the cost of giving facelift to Palio both interior and exterior would be cheaper for them. The new Palio 2010 hardly resembles the current Palio, so they could come up with all new name for this hatch.

On the Linea and Punto front, its okay even if they increase the price by another 10K but at the cost of better plastic quality interiors. This has to do with TATA motors suppliers for interiors but then FIAT can always push for better quality as Linea at 8L though VFM, certainly not cheap.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:39   #42
BHPian

Default Close, but no cigar!

The numbers say that Fiat is moving back on track but it has a long way to go yet. At the moment, people (not t-bhp enthusiasts) are only starting to view Fiat cars as a option to other manufacturers. Seeing a Punto or a Linea on the roads is still pretty rare. The turnaround will take time to gain critical mass in terms of public opinion and perception. A.S.S & ownership testimonial reports will go a long way to changing that perception and only time and satisfied customers can get that to happen.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:52   #43
BHPian

Exclamation Fiat revival in India

Fiat revival in India - yes, but only superficial.

A lot more is desired in terms of FIAT A.S.S and the TATA alliance is doing no good either (based on my personal experience). Fiat-Tata service is still pathetic as ever. I own a palio and am truly in love with the car, but am sad that the parent company is not in a position to take care of my car properly.

I agree that Fiat is basking in Leina/Punto success glory, but only time will tell how these beauties are taken care by Fiat A.S.S. We could again re-visit if Fiat India revival probably 2 yrs down the line and if and only if today's Lenia/punto owners are happy with ***, we could call it a revival.

Note: I still am and will be a Fiat fan for EVER, but reality bites.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...yet-again.html (The Fiat Grande Punto - will history repeat itself yet again?)

you might be interested in this thread as well
Old 6th October 2009, 12:15   #45
BHPian

Exclamation Fiat revival in India

Fiat revival in India - yes, but only superficial.

A lot more is desired in terms of FIAT A.S.S and the TATA alliance is doing no good either (based on my personal experience). Fiat-Tata service is still pathetic as ever. I own a palio and am truly in love with the car, but am sad that the parent company is not in a position to take care of my car properly.

I agree that Fiat is basking in Leina/Punto success glory, but only time will tell how these beauties are taken care by Fiat A.S.S. We could again re-visit if Fiat India revival probably 2 yrs down the line and if and only if today's Lenia/punto owners are happy with ***, we could call it a revival.

Note: I still am and will be a Fiat fan for EVER, but reality bites.
Closed Thread