Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th May 2008, 11:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Where did you get this information. Apart from CO2 (that too only from really modern diesels), diesel produces far more pollutants (and dangerous ones) than petrol.
I remember reading that in one of the auto mags way back in the 90's when I was a kid. Thank you for correcting me!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 12:19   #17

Economy is rising and so is demand for fuel too but diesel prices will always remain well below petrol prices as India has good churn of diesel consumption in transport + agricultural + BPO sector and any Indian govt cant afford to loose elections on these points. India is rising but still good amount of population is well under below poverty line too and this is also a fact. Each single rupee increase in diesel will inflate prices further and govt cant afford it. so rest in peace and dont worry. diesel prices will always remain well below petrol, atleast in india.
Elantra.Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 13:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

My customer in US has never seen diesel in hi 50+ years of existance. Reason, current price 3.5~$/Gal Petrol, 4.2~$/Gal Diesel- seems it was always expensive for diesel.

India - Diesel can never get more expensive than petrol because our national economics and infra is setup like that. We dont have huge hydro and nuke resources like US and West, So public (Read - LOTS), are dependent on the dirty dan;s diesel. So RIP, Diesel can never become expensive.

PS - Ever googled for nuke power houses across US, they nearly outnumber all the # of Shopping malls in NCR Region. And we hardly have less than 10 Nuke plants and less than 20 high capacity hydro plants.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 13:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Isn't it the other way round? AFAIK, its the petrol engines that pollute more. However, its just that the smoke is visible in case of diesel cars.
Nopes. From an article I read a few months ago in TOI (a few months ago) the only advantage diesel has is that it has a lower sulphur content which too depends on how good the quality is. Petrol quality in India is far better than diesel's (according to the same article). When it comes to suspended air particles (pollutants) diesel is some 30 times worse than petrol (again same article).
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 14:31   #20

Originally Posted by srijit View Post
In the US, people use some crazy fuels. I have heard of people going to KFC, McDonald's, etc, and then getting their used frying oil, and refining it and using it in cars. Of course, this is not legal there, but
This is also one of the ways to extract bio-diesel. There are many make-your-biodiesel-at-home kits available there which allow them to pour in used Vegetable oils from restaurants and then convert them to biodiesel.

As far as pollution from these are concerned, the active pollutants like NOx and sulphur are not much higher than diesel itself. But there is a serious reduction in production of CO2 as the plant that gave us this oil consumed Carbon from the air to make the seeds, from which we extract the oil. So its close to zero CO2 production(there will be some CO2 added in making and transporting this fuel).
arunmur is offline   Reply With Quote