Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th June 2008, 11:08   #271
Senior - BHPian

Despite the niggles mentioned in this forum, I advised a colleague of mine to go for a Swift petrol for his dad, who does limited driving per day. He was planning for an i10 top end model, but when I told him that the Swift top end was just another 50 k, he too felt it would be a better buy.
Only thing I told him to clench his teeth for was the rattles. But another team member has a 4 month old vxi, which is rattle-free so far. Touch wood!

We were pleasatly surprised to see a Swift model with 2 sun-roofs on the Swift website. Looks like they are bringing some changes to the Swift as well!

Last edited by vnabhi : 11th June 2008 at 11:10.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 01:58   #272
BHPian

Default Re: The SX4 / Swift Effect on Perceptions

Circa 2010, and probably a good time for a reality check. I have owned a SX4 for 11 months now, have covered 7K+ Kms. Here are my observations based on my own experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Poor build quality
All panel elements are functioning as required.
Seats are extremely ergonomic and provide pure comfort on long drives.
Facing issues with the horn - seems to turn from a assertive pom to a mild pee.
Central locking refused to work on a couple of occasions during rains.
Door alignment impeccable.

Quote:
Persistent (and significant) rattles in first couple of thousand kilometers.
No rattles.

Quote:
Interior part quality sucks
If you meant the ICE, yes, it shouldn't win any admirers. However, it is more than adequate for the function, and supports both AUX & USB.

Quote:
Uneven panel gaps
There are zero panel gaps throughout the dashboard, bumpers and everywhere else I've looked inside the car.

Quote:
Parts falling off
None so far, and doesn't look like any is about to. On the contrary, I drive perhaps the worst road, that's riddled with numerous "man-holes" and don't ever have a second thought before going over it. (Hate zig-zagging like ricks anyway).

Quote:
Low refinement and vibrations
I don't quite understand "refinement" so will leave it at that. But vibrations I would still contest. I have rear-parking sensors installed, and they show distance on a mirror "mounted" on top of the stock one. While stationary, this mirror does vibrate, but no where never complain levels.

Quote:
Poor NVH (e.g. Horn is too loud on the inside)
I can be quite scientific here, as I have a Noise Meter, and the noise level inside never rises above 35 dB(A)-50 dB(A), to give you a benchmark, my room is dead silent, and the noise meter is recording 25-29 dB(A).

Quote:
Clutch failures
No Data.

Some observations from official reviews on this site.
Vento: Lacks steering controls (SX4 has it).
Etios: Lacks climate control (SX4/Swift/DZire has it)
Jazz: Ridiculously overpriced (Sx4/Swift are price lords)
Cruze/Altis-D: Slow pickup in city (Swift/DZire adequately powered)
Linea: Lack of build quality (Can vouch for my SX4 being miles ahead)
Etios: Cheap keys, by placing remote separately (Swift/SX4 both have integrated keys)
Etios: Outdated handles, outdated A/C controls (Swift/SX4 miles ahead)
Vento/Polo: Thin dealer network & unknown after-sales (Do I even start a rebuttal?)
Etios: Spare wheel is steel (Swift/SX4 comes with alloys)

Some other features
- Lights on warning.
- Central lock disabled when boot is open.
- Spare alloy wheel

Some thoughts
- Honda/VW/Skoda/Fiat/Ford/Hyundai are all manufactured in India, by Indians, with a fair degree of localization but are still touted as Foreign cars?!?
- Numerous cars are selling despite glaring omissions - Verna (airbags), Jazz (value-for-money), New Honda City (Air-bags, Alloys) to name a few.

On a lighter note, I think the premium perception of foreign cars is more gas than substance, after-all, we are a country where Nazar kawach and Dhan-yantra's sell like hot cakes.
Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:05   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Circa 2010, and probably a good time for a reality check. I have owned a SX4 for 11 months now, have covered 7K+ Kms. Here are my observations based on my own experience.

On a lighter note, I think the premium perception of foreign cars is more gas than substance, after-all, we are a country where Nazar kawach and Dhan-yantra's sell like hot cakes.
GTO neither owns SX4 nor Swift. His comments were based on the survey of lots of actual owners.

Look up the reviews here: Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Test Drives

You own a very rare SX4 which had no problem whatsoever. I own a GV since 3+ years, and minor rattles have been present since day one.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:11   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm...
Resurrecting the old thread , to prove a point?

But
Linea: Lack of build quality vis-a-vis SX4 ?

will other mates on Tbhp confirm
Cheers
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:33   #275
BANNED

Quote:
This is not "Official Joke thread"!

Linea especially the T-Jet is in a different league altogether, not worth comparing with SX4.

Lets SIMPLY stick to MUL cars - Swift and SX4.
COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:34   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
GTO neither owns SX4 nor Swift. His comments were based on the survey of lots of actual owners.

Look up the reviews here: Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Test Drives

You own a very rare SX4 which had no problem whatsoever. I own a GV since 3+ years, and minor rattles have been present since day one.
I never felt any big problem with my SX4 ZXi and I am very happy with its performance. One problem I had was with centre locking and maruti completely replaced the system for free. Its 2.5 years old and 25000 km completed. This car comes handy especially when you drive on bad roads with lots of potholes. It rides smoothly on those potholes and small humps, when many other cars struggles. Once in a while I also observed the time lag for acceleration between 3rd and 4th gear, especially in highways. I still don't know the reason. But this also not a regular problem. Overall i am very happy with my car.
Regards,
Sarin
sarinkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:37   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Numerous cars are selling despite glaring omissions - Verna (airbags), Jazz (value-for-money), New Honda City (Air-bags, Alloys) to name a few.
The ANHC comes equipped with ABS and airbags even for the E version which is the lowest model on the tree. (:: Honda City ::) And does Swift VDi from Maruti give airbags? Isn't that also a glaring omission?
And talking about rattling, my cousin's Swift rattles (6 months and 6K km) more than my 5 year old Santro (36K km).
My friend owns a Swift which is now some 4 years old. During the initial ownership, he found that if he drives with the driver or passenger side window rolled down, it rattles away to glory. When he went to the service centre, the SP told him, "Sir, Swift was not designed to be driven with windows rolled down" He drives the car with windows rolled up as the problem was never rectified.
When I talk to Maruti owners, I found out that the definition of rattling itself was more tolerant for them.
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:57   #278
BHPian

Quote:
- Numerous cars are selling despite glaring omissions - Verna (airbags), Jazz (value-for-money), New Honda City (Air-bags, Alloys) to name a few.
Where did you get this data from?

Honda City comes with default Airbags in all the models. Alloys as all the others follow are available only in high end.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:09   #279
BHPian

@Counsel: I love the Linea, and if Fiat had a tie-up with anyone other than Tata, I'd have owned one. The thought of going to a Tata Service station kept me away. The specific things that went through my mind were the mis-alignment of plastic parts behind the steering, and missing chrome-strips that are quite noticeable on Lineas (singular perhaps) I've seen.

@Samurai: I think you missed my point, the post was a comparision between the 2008 "state" at MUL and the current one. I'm pretty confident that GTO and others on this site, have led this change and made M.Suzuki realise their shortcomings by offering better quality to its' customers.

@sanagg1: Came across this link on the "Does your SX4 rattle" poll.
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:24   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Poor build quality
Persistent (and significant) rattles in first couple of thousand kilometers.
Interior part quality sucks
Uneven panel gaps
Parts falling off
Low refinement and vibrations
Poor NVH (e.g. Horn is too loud on the inside)
Clutch failures
My Swift VXI-ABS has done 48000 kms in 3.5 years. Haven't faced any issues yet.
- I have started having a significant rattle only in the last few months. It seems to be coming from the parcel tray & will get it checked during the next service.
- Interior parts seem OK to me.
- Panel gaps are uneven but not so bad for you to notice unless you are looking for it.
- I don't see any problems with the horn.
- No parts fallen off yet.
- Still on my first clutch (not bad considering I practically learned to drive a stick on this car - my earlier car was an auto).
- Still on the stock tyres which have decent amount of treads left. I will be changing tyres before the next rains.
- No rusting anywhere yet (did the 3M underbody coating only before the last rains).
- Still on my OEM batteries.
- Automatic Windows don't work once in each 6 months randomly. Need to switch off the car, wait for a few minutes & restart it. It starts working again.

Few improvements I would like
- Higher speed rated bumpers (but I think this is true with most Indian cars in that price range)
- Rear Window Demister & Rear Window Wiper which is available only on ZXI.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:52   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
This is not "Official Joke thread"!

Linea especially the T-Jet is in a different league altogether, not worth comparing with SX4.

Lets SIMPLY stick to MUL cars - Swift and SX4.
Did you mean Official Joke Thread a.k.a. Linea Monthly Sales
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:13   #282
Senior - BHPian

I am also an SX4 owner for the last 20 months and i would concur with all the observations of Fornax.

In short, this car is simply awesome- and no, I am not saying this since I own one. people who know me, including some old timers on this forum, know that i have an extremely low threshhold of tolerance in most things, and esp cars and would not think twice before blasting off the service ccenter and manufacturer if there is anything wrong with my car, and I have put in critical comments on my previous rides on TBHP as well (indica turbo and Safari).

I will give GTO the benefit of doubt since his original post is dated 2008 and the earlier lot of SX4s were plagued with clutch issues and some build quality issues. But MUL seems to have taken feedback positively and rectified these issues.

The best way I can sum up is that I am contemplating a new car in the next 12 months, but for the life of me, i cant seem to narrow down on anything upto 15L that would be a worthy replacement to the SX4 when viewed holistically.

This car is surely the most underrated car in the country and not only does it match or better its obvious competitors in most areas (Vento, ANHC, Linea etc), it has abilitites that will even put certain so-called "SUVs" to shame- this i say from personal experience.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:38   #283
Senior - BHPian

I was really surprised to see the first post by GTO. I've always felt that we were a little defensive when it comes to maruti vehicles especially the swift. I really dont know about the specific issues mentioned by GTO since i have not owned both cars or driven them extensively.

My experience with the swift was once when the DDIS was launched and recently when i was planning my second car. The swift obviously made it to my list but slipped out very soon after my test drives. They really dont feel worth the money in two major aspects.
1. Equipment List with regard to Price Paid (VERY evident with their diesel variants)
2. Overall Feel of Driving.

These cars dont really feel the price you pay for it. I am happy to see ardent swift lovers buying the Figo and calling it a mature swift.

But in majority of cases people dont buy a Maruti for the above said purposes. They buy it because its a maruti and because of the halo that brand carries due to its extensive service centres.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:17   #284
An1
BHPian

Quote:
Did you mean Official Joke Thread a.k.a. Linea Monthly Sales
"Indian mentality w.r.t. MUL" is what has been mentioned a number of times on this thread since the beginning.
& that is what may be partly contributing to the sales figures for MUL. I can't comment on low sales for FIAT as I am no expert here.

But comparing the build quality of Fiat Linea vis--vis Suzuki's SX4, I can definitely say Linea is miles ahead of the SX4.
Sit inside Linea, close the doors, roll up the windows and move out, you will immediately feel the difference. It is very solidly built.
& I can vouch for this because one of my very close friends & my Chachaji own SX4's which I have driven many a times.
Even while shortlisting sedans for me, I TD'ed SX4's intensely & build quality was a strong point for which I bought Fiat Linea.

I am not saying MUL cars are poor cars, as I also own a Zen Lxi (2000) model, and it is still serving us very very well. Over 1.3K kms. the engine is still very nippy, and am considering getting the car redone. But the build quality and insulation is what I would have wished to be better.
An1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:18   #285
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: The SX4 / Swift Effect on Perceptions

Thanks Sarin for directing me to this thread in the first place.

GTO's original comment and the following discussion reveal that there are not many Maruti owners happy with the overall built quality. I am an all through Maruti owner. But I have driven honda, hyundai and ford cars as well. So if you ask me if I am 100% happy with the quality of SX4, I would say No. But if you ask me, if I am happy overall with the ownership? a definite YES.

Well that is what I believe is happening in this thread as well. It is true that every car has its own pitfalls and great attributes as well. So when we buy the car, do we know them and still ready to live with those problems is the question. I think a lot of Maruti owners fall in the second category. And that's precisely the objective of starting this thread as well by GTO. If Maruti had taken care of even these issues like it is being taken care by the Hondas and Toyotas of the world, then Maruti would not have even lost some market share.

So we India answer this

Can I live with horrible *** treatment (skoda) - NO
Can I live with the car starting a fire (nano) - NO
Can I live with high maintenance and extra amount of EMI (Honda) - NO
Can I live with a relatively lesser re-sale price (Hyundai vs. Maruti) - May be NO
Can I live with some rattling and other minor issues (maruti) - Probably YES

The answer to each of the above question would vary between us and that's why we buy different cars. But if Maruti or for that matter TATA can come up with products which doesnt have the consumers to compromise on any of these products (the intention of GTO) - we are in for a winner product!!

This is my view, and I am a happy SX4 owner
getsriram is offline   Reply With Quote