Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd December 2010, 16:22   #286
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The SX4 / Swift Effect on Perceptions

I dont know about other points as mentioned above. However, I would agree on the Horn for Swift.

The Horn is very loud on the inside, My santro has low noise in the cabin for every time the horn is blown. While for my friends swift, it felt that the horn is placed without any insulation and the driver is blowing the horn at me. Quite loud for a passenger cabin
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:44   #287
Senior - BHPian

I think its quite simple. Maruti knows the ndian Mindset very well. We dont mind cramped interiors or bench like rear seats or quite a few features missing from the list if our car looks big from outside. That is one of the major factors that that clicked with the Swift not to mention the superbly tuned DDIS engine.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:56   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsriram View Post
Thanks Sarin for directing me to this thread in the first place.

GTO's original comment and the following discussion reveal that there are not many Maruti owners happy with the overall built quality. I am an all through Maruti owner. But I have driven honda, hyundai and ford cars as well. So if you ask me if I am 100% happy with the quality of SX4, I would say No. But if you ask me, if I am happy overall with the ownership? a definite YES.

Well that is what I believe is happening in this thread as well. It is true that every car has its own pitfalls and great attributes as well. So when we buy the car, do we know them and still ready to live with those problems is the question. I think a lot of Maruti owners fall in the second category. And that's precisely the objective of starting this thread as well by GTO. If Maruti had taken care of even these issues like it is being taken care by the Hondas and Toyotas of the world, then Maruti would not have even lost some market share.

So we India answer this

Can I live with horrible *** treatment (skoda) - NO
Can I live with the car starting a fire (nano) - NO
Can I live with high maintenance and extra amount of EMI (Honda) - NO
Can I live with a relatively lesser re-sale price (Hyundai vs. Maruti) - May be NO
Can I live with some rattling and other minor issues (maruti) - Probably YES

The answer to each of the above question would vary between us and that's why we buy different cars. But if Maruti or for that matter TATA can come up with products which doesnt have the consumers to compromise on any of these products (the intention of GTO) - we are in for a winner product!!

This is my view, and I am a happy SX4 owner
+1

you totally echo my thoughts man. I have owned my SX4 Zxi VVt for the past 8 months and driven more than 8000kms.

so far my car has very minor rattles which crop up occasionally. only once the power windows stopped functioning and apart from that the car has served me well. sure the plastics are not as good as vento or city....but the are surely better than linea. the build quality is the worst in its segment (the reassuring thud of doors in vento or linea is not here) but that dont mean that i have parts falling of my car. im not sure of the older engine but the new vvt is reasonably good. also i dont mind working through the gears. the plus side is that the car is very spacious and roomy. drives real well on broken and potholed roads and a MUL service station is allways a Km away (well almost).

also i firmly believe that we get for what we pay. sx4 is very well priced. if it were priced like linea t-jet or city i sure that the quality of interiors would have been on par with altis and all the minor quirks would have been taken care of.
Zero Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:08   #289
Senior - BHPian

I have seen lots of thrashing of so called "Indian Cars" on this forum and loads of praises for the "foreign (European, Japanese cars). I feel that there is a bias in the forum.

Firstly, there are many people who dont own the vehicle and jump to conclusions just because they heard so (possibly read in the forum). There are many who own a different brand and wants to prove that their choice is the best.

Secondly, I dont think such a thread should exist. There is a similar thread "Does your SX4 rattle?" I dont know why such threads exist. I am sure the owners of such vehicles would be taking offence to such threads. I dont know whats the purpose of such threads. There has not been an official review of the car. Probably this trend started recently.

Thirdly, there are certain facts which can not be ignored :-

1. These vehicles are one of the best sellers in their category. You may feel that the people are fool. Then read point 2.

2. Other "better brand" cars are nowhere near in the price bracket. So eventually, these cars make it to those categories of segments etc inspite of being much cheaper.

3. If so and so brand "feels refined", "interiors top notch" etc etc then you paid through your nose. You get what you pay. Actually most of the times not, you dont even get inspite of paying.

@Samurai : Would love to see the details of the survey (if possible) like how many people surveyed, which area etc etc. I read the reviews of many cars in the link. None is perfect and owners did not like many issues.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 07:19   #290
BHPian

Maruti Sells over a million cars a year and most cars are lapped up by us because of the 'value' proposition that the brand gives.

A 10 year old Alto fetches equal or more than a Newer Accent/Ford Ikon. A good 2005 Swift VXi would fetch you 3 Lakh. Just 33% depreciation over the last 5.5 years.
Low Cost Accessible Service Options & Reasonable Fuel Efficiency compounds this advantage even further.

Yes Many (especially Non Owners ) Complain about the Rattling and Plastic quality. Huge Majority of Indians being underprivileged we prioritize 'VALUE' over the finer things the other brands 'claim' to offer.

I own a SX4 VXi 2007. My car probably "belongs to a rare Breed" that does not have any rattling issues. Despite Servicing over 150 cars a day my dealer Service people have provided me impeccable Service. And I am Happy.. And this is not from perception.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 23rd December 2010 at 07:21.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 08:40   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Secondly, I dont think such a thread should exist. There is a similar thread "Does your SX4 rattle?" I dont know why such threads exist.
First of all, I would be very pleased if you let us know - why you felt that those threads must not exist!

IMHO, such threads should exist at least in T-BHP. From my understanding, our forum ALWAYS stands for the the TRUTH. So, wouldn't that be unfair, if we don't allow such threads to exist?

If my car has any problem, the first thing that I would do is to start a thread in T-BHP seeking the inputs of the BHPians. Imagine that I own a problematic RR or Maybach, but in my opinion that fact must not stop myself from starting a thread here!

Pardon me, if I sounded harsh.

Quote:
I dont know whats the purpose of such threads.
I've shared my views on the above post.
Surviving Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:01   #292
BANNED

I've had my share of issues with my Swift (sold). Though I would love the Maruti's to have the build quality of the VW's & Skoda's, I don't think it will happen. Suzuki cars cannot be compared even to Honda's, Toyota's, Nissan's & Mitsubishi's which have excellent build quality. But in India people care about the price and FE. Nothing else.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:12   #293
BHPian

I own an SX4 and welcome any discussion highlighting/ discussing the deficiencies/ problems of the vehicle. The advantages are two fold.

1) We will be sharing thoughts with other owners and possibly get solutions for that odd problem where the service personnel have no clue.

2) We will be better prepared if we know the limitations of the car before hand.

Critical reviews will help the seekers who want to compare different vehicles before making a buying decision.

I am happy with my SX4. If the vehicle starts rattling after an year or two, I am sure the fix will be easy if we are attentive and determined to solve them. Many may live with it, but I for one find fixing them is easy and inexpensive too. Most of the time all it needs is to replace a screw, plastic clip or a beading. I feel I saved more than 2 lakhs by not going for a perceived rattle free car, say Honda. By spending a fraction of that money I can maintain my car rattle free by attending to the rattles promptly when and if they arise.

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:34   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
But in India people care about the price and FE. Nothing else.
Not to mention the resale and ***, here no one beats Maruti
Zero Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:50   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Maruti Sells over a million cars a year and most cars are lapped up by us because of the 'value' proposition that the brand gives.

I own a SX4 VXi 2007. My car probably "belongs to a rare Breed" that does not have any rattling issues. Despite Servicing over 150 cars a day my dealer Service people have provided me impeccable Service. And I am Happy.. And this is not from perception.
You are not the only one. I own a 2007 Zxi and have done more than 40K kms. Till now apart from minor squeaks from the seats and minor rattles from interior plastics, I have not faced a single problem. The car has never let me down;touch wood. No car is perfect, and I would have loved my car to have better insulation, but then there are so many positives this car gives that no other car can match - easy ingress and egress, good road visibility, SUV like presence for bumps infested Indian roads, good mid range and great interior and boot space.

To say that the build quality only means thudding doors is in appropriate. Fit of the interior plastics in Sx4 is definitely good, if not in the league of a Honda, but definitely better than a Linea. However, I would have loved the plastics to be of better quality. All in all I have had a very good experience with an SX4. I still believe if the SX4 comes with a good diesel, it would be the best buy in its segment.
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:36   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Brain View Post
First of all, I would be very pleased if you let us know - why you felt that those threads must not exist!

IMHO, such threads should exist at least in T-BHP. From my understanding, our forum ALWAYS stands for the the TRUTH. So, wouldn't that be unfair, if we don't allow such threads to exist?

If my car has any problem, the first thing that I would do is to start a thread in T-BHP seeking the inputs of the BHPians. Imagine that I own a problematic RR or Maybach, but in my opinion that fact must not stop myself from starting a thread here!

I've shared my views on the above post.

Well I agree partly with your thoughts and partly not. I agree with you for the fact that we should come up with discussion on any car in this forum which is healthy. But I am not sure about the other thread on whether your SX4 rattles, with poll for the level of rattling. I think that is unwarranted. I think it will lead to similar thread for other cars like how much were your ripped off in service for Honda cars? 2k, 5k or 10k? That is targeting a car or a company in particular in a unhealthy way.

We do need to target companies if there is something wrong in their attitude to the consumes like the one we have for Skoda India.

This is my view. Would like to have GTO's view on this since he started this thread.
getsriram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:19   #297
BHPian

Quote:
our forum ALWAYS stands for the the TRUTH.
The breakdown of 14 votes for "Everything rattles" is as follows:

No record of any Maruti ownership:
forbhaskarm
khanak
lohithrao
rkparur
sabsubs
sanagg1

Owners of Swift/Other Maruti cars who voted:
anshurao
aseem
driving_smartly
shamanth
tinnieboy
Trust_In_Thrust
tushky
vicky_ch

This after being made clear by the pollster on who should take the poll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
For data correctness sake, it would be better if the poll is taken only by those that own the SX4. And if it does rattle, it would be useful to give a brief summary of where exactly the ratling comes from.
Err...did someone say something about truth?
Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:20   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

IMHO, such threads should exist at least in T-BHP. From my understanding, our forum ALWAYS stands for the the TRUTH.

Its actually funny. Forum is made of people. If people stand by truth then its fine. Else forum can do nothing about it. Please dont drag forum into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsriram View Post
Well I agree partly with your thoughts and partly not. I agree with you for the fact that we should come up with discussion on any car in this forum which is healthy. But I am not sure about the other thread on whether your SX4 rattles, with poll for the level of rattling. I think that is unwarranted. I think it will lead to similar thread for other cars like how much were your ripped off in service for Honda cars? 2k, 5k or 10k? That is targeting a car or a company in particular in a unhealthy way.

We do need to target companies if there is something wrong in their attitude to the consumes like the one we have for Skoda India.
I thank getsriram for speaking my mind. And thanks for the poll details. It clarifies everything.

The "SX4 rattling poll" is not a healthy discussion and so is this thread. So and so problem in SX4 is a healthy thread. Otherwise these threads become a bashing ground and there is nothing which comes out. "Perception" is individualistic. The companies target a particular segment and do so very successfully. There is no one near to their sale figures. If people here thinks that the people outside T-BHP are fool and "must' cough up addition 2-4lacs to buy a "better brand" then we are fooling ourselves.

I would like to know what have we deduced so far after so many pages of discussion. What actualy is happening in this thread is people are felling hurt for their "perception" being targetted and other people are enjoying it. Thats why this thread is surving.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 23rd December 2010 at 12:24.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 12:55   #299
Senior - BHPian

I have done 20K+ with my SX4. Am happy with the reliability and VFM. Great vehicle for all sorts of roads. Only issues I have faced are minor rattles and squealing brakes. They haven't been fully fixed, but only act as minor irritants.

Overall, I would heartily recommend SX4 if you have the right sort of usage (e.g. highway/rough roads etc.).
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 13:42   #300
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Am not a Maruti Owner. This is not out of any dispise for the Maruti cars or brand - but out of a higher love / liking for the other cars and for them meeting my requirements better.

Any and all Indians like it or not would have travelled a fair bit in Maruti cars, and would have had a good chance to experience them due to the sheer numbers with which they sell in India.

I actually like the Swift (not dzire), A-Star and SX4 for looks / other specific parameters that they bring on board. Also appreciate the long term low cost of ownership that they bring to the board.

Yet having experienced Maruti interiors / plastics and those of other brands would definately state that the Maruti interiors in general do not impress much, they may last long and that is something that an owner would know better, but don't feel good. Also the feel of door panels / dash as they are touched, closed, knocked does not feel that great.

Have observed discussion on - if such threads should exist, or if non owners should comment and do feel that such threads should exist, all should post truthfully respecting the sentiments of others.

The Maruti cars do deliver a certain value that buyers are looking for and that is fine, they need not be the perfect fit for others, the value they deliver may not match the expectations of others and that too is fine, and the quality of certain components may be compromised resulting in better pricing but that too is fine as the buyers are fine with the overall proposition that it presents.

They also deliver many +ves and that is why the buyers buy the cars.

Frankly such threads do result in a lot of linea vs SX4, Vista vs Swift type of fights and comparos but a best seller is simply best marketed and all cars meet differing needs, some wish to stand out in a crowd, and some wish to feel secure in a crowd.

Cheers to TBHP
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote