Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th May 2008, 15:24   #16
BHPian

Yes it is old news. What I heard is it became difficult to assign the numbers which has total 8, no one wanted to take it and making a big deal at RTOs about it so the govt has decided this.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 15:37   #17
BHPian

if i'm not mistaken there's no 13th floor at the taj intercontinental in mumbai (besides the gateway of india) - there's a 12th floor and then straight to 14th....
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 15:44   #18
BHPian

Oh God! I just figured out that even my car numbers (4193) total to 8. Now does that mean that I have to be even more cautious whilst driving...?
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 15:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Oh God! I just figured out that even my car numbers (4193) total to 8. Now does that mean that I have to be even more cautious whilst driving...?
Yeah, stand on your brakes all the time. LOL

Sometimes resale is an issue.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 15:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
... the reason was to prevent RTOs from squeezing money out of the folks who wanted to avoid getting the number 8. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
...we try getting numbers that add up to 10..

Did you mean...add up to 1 ?
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 18:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Well, it was a democratic move - they listened to the voice of the people. In TN, one of the first things people do when they see your new vehicle is to calculate totals looking at the number plate. This is done even before they congratulate you.

It is common to receive compliments such as 'you have got a good number - congratulations' (note: good number, not fancy number).

I agree. I am one among them. My bikes and cars dont have these 3 numbers 4 ,7 ,8 . My last four numbers so far were 3060 , 6030 , 1500 , 9699 , 6300 . I bought a Getz Crdi , and i am waiting to get 3060 for it.
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 18:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
This is an old news. But if you want to get a number which totalls '8' you need to pay extra amount like you do for the fancy numbers.
My cousin insisted on the number totalling '8' when he bought his bike in 2000 for which he was required to give a letter stating that he was ok with a number totalling '8' being assigned to his bike. He never paid a single penny for this. He was blessed with the number 9854.

Slightly off-topic: The door numbers in my newly built apartment are as follows: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7A, 9, 10 and so on..
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 19:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post

dont worry,you have your car no. as 4193

mine is 1493,3941--same digits as yours
then 4400,7802...all adding upto 8.we consider 8 as lucky no.
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 21:33   #24
BHPian

check the link below.

What's in a Number? -- Beijing Review
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 22:21   #25
BHPian

Default The mystery of "total 8" in Chennai

Hi,

I couldnt resist this piece. But I need to let you all know a 20 year story! When I got my hall ticket for my CA Final exams the number totalled to 8! All my friends gave me to give their condolences much before the exam that this is a very unlucky number and that it is my road to perdition!

Having written the exam, to the surprise of many, including me, I did qualify CA final in the first attempt, not just that I got an all India rank too - probably the soothsayers found something had gone abyss. Now to the crux of the matter....when I went to register myself as a full-fledged Chartered Accountant, I was given the choice of numbers to select within a range.....and I asked the Officer there that I want the total of my registration number that lasts for my lifetime to be "8". He was perplexed and opened out the register to me where he had rounded off in red ink the vacant numbers that total to the mysterious "8" which no one had sought. I chose the first vacant one - My registration no: still stands at 235552 in the CA registry which totals to '8". Life still has been good to me. I asked for nothing but I think the Almighty has always been benevolent.

I still quote this episode to many and thanks for the opportunity to quote a life's experience once again.

cheers
Ram, a great admirer of Teambhp)
(ram 2004, owner of much criticized Petrol Tata Safari who has done Chennai to Leh by road ......go to Picasa Web Albums - Ram)
ram2004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 22:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

It can happen -only in INDIA
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 22:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Hmm That is quite surprising that state is following that. But again as someone mentioned number 13, I find this missing at a lot of places. There is no 13th floor in the place I work.
That was the 13th post for this thread. Coincidence??
Jedi.Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 22:44   #28
BHPian

Sam Bhai, correction:

Imagine Govinda dancing to the tune and sing IT HAPPENS ONLY IN INDIA.....Chorus
SumitB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 08:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2004 View Post
Hi,

I couldnt resist this piece. But I need to let you all know a 20 year story! When I got my hall ticket for my CA Final exams the number totalled to 8! All my friends gave me to give their condolences much before the exam that this is a very unlucky number and that it is my road to perdition!

Having written the exam, to the surprise of many, including me, I did qualify CA final in the first attempt, not just that I got an all India rank too - probably the soothsayers found something had gone abyss. Now to the crux of the matter....when I went to register myself as a full-fledged Chartered Accountant, I was given the choice of numbers to select within a range.....and I asked the Officer there that I want the total of my registration number that lasts for my lifetime to be "8". He was perplexed and opened out the register to me where he had rounded off in red ink the vacant numbers that total to the mysterious "8" which no one had sought. I chose the first vacant one - My registration no: still stands at 235552 in the CA registry which totals to '8". Life still has been good to me. I asked for nothing but I think the Almighty has always been benevolent.

I still quote this episode to many and thanks for the opportunity to quote a life's experience once again.

cheers
Ram, a great admirer of Teambhp)
(ram 2004, owner of much criticized Petrol Tata Safari who has done Chennai to Leh by road ......go to Picasa Web Albums - Ram)

Nice experience to comment on this topic. So your lucky number seems to be '8' .
I am a CA student too . Wish i could get the same on the next attempt.
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 22:47   #30
BHPian

Its all over the world .. in China / Chinese territories no. 4 is number of dead. May be the alphabet 4 (in chinese writing) is similar to something like this.

But since we Indians are inventors of zero and number system, we have multiples of such beliefs in different numbers.

8 is not good in TN is news , as it is considered to be land of 'assth dhatu' ( 8 metals) , correct me if wrong.

Or these are gimmicks of some sections of society to earn annuity income.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote