Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st May 2008, 10:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
The Elantra.. gives me 9 in city(AC) and 13 (highway with AC)

thats an excellent FE - i get 10 in city and 13 in highway with 50-50 a/c usage on my OHC !!!

so why do u want to sell this and go for a diesel especially since ur running is so low ? unless u plan to drive much more once u buy the diesel ..?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 10:40   #17

The dealer called me to check if i am fine with the offer(4 lac),i told them it is shame for them to offer such price and they themselves don't trust on their product..

now i am clear that i will keep the car for another 1 year and then see the market condition.

It looks difficult to get fully loaded car without spending >10 lacs..which has same features as Elantra...

Thanks Team-bhp experts for your understanding..

muke31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 10:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Muke, most dealers would use third parties in a buy back or exchange process, unless they have their own second hand division. Its these third parties they refer to as far as price goes.
Despite being a good car, Elantra is not exactly a hot selling product, new or used, and most car brokers or agents (who know crap about cars most of the time) are not willing to thrust money upfront to buy it of your hands. The very reason when they give you a quote they are looking for two outcomes, either they get a steal or you decide not to sell it to them. Once sold your dealership considers your secondhand car on similar lines, Hyundai or otherwise. The only benefit you will have is if Hyundai India decides to pass on some sort of meager loyalty benefits on buying a Hyundai again, but even thats going to be negligible considering the depreciation these guys are talking about.
The best way to go about selling your car if you insist on it is to be patient and negotiate with a direct buyer. This is the hard way but most rewarding as far as your cars value goes. You will have to use your contacts extensively, advertise in classifieds in papers/online. This ways you can explain the cars benefits in person and the care you have showered on it. Also you can negotiate with local used car showrooms to display your car. They might charge a display fees and a cut on the cars sale price. In the case of more expensive cars its a better arrangement than selling it to them outright, although you might have to wait till they sell it to a prospective customer. I believe firms like Automart does this.
The rule is to be patient and you might be surprised as to the value a true buyer sees in your car.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 11:14   #19
Team-BHP Support

Elantra's depreciate like stink, and it really doesn't make any sense to sell a perfectly nice sedan for cheap. Retain it....the best part is, most of the depreciation is over. Even if you use it for another 2 years, you won't see a drastic reduction in resale price.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 12:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Like GTO said, even if you sell the car 2 years down the like you'll get similar money for it, it can't go much lower than this. And since you say it's in good condition & you're happy with it then why not retain it?

Selling it now doesn't make any financial sense unless there's something majorly wrong with it.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote