Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th April 2012, 21:32   #1576
BHPian

Default Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

I guess only tbhp'ns fill at shell. Most others fill from PSUs. Does shell have an outlet in GOA? if yes, what is the price like in GOA after the reduction in VAT?
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 21:39   #1577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
I guess only tbhp'ns fill at shell. Most others fill from PSUs. Does shell have an outlet in GOA? if yes, what is the price like in GOA after the reduction in VAT?
I don't think so, I was first introduced shell by my non-TBHPian friends.
Its a different story that I introduced them to TBHP later

IMO, any person who is more worried about better performance from their car than just the cost, will go to shell even with this difference.
Its discussed many times here that the cost difference per kilometre is actually not as high as the price per litre makes us feel.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 01:01   #1578
Senior - BHPian

^^^That does not work for me. I dont find any perceptible difference between my fav BP CoCo bunk and Shell. I feel that the difference lies in adulteration. Otherwise, there is possibly no difference between Shell and PSU petrol. Yes, difference is there in service levels.

I wouldn't pay more than 1-2 bucks more for Shell. The current difference between prices is just huge.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 01:22   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there is no Shell petrol outlet here in Goa. The maximum pumps are operated by HP and BP, with a few run by Indian Oil.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 09:01   #1580
BHPian

I have seen consistent higher engine noise with shell diesel , has anyone on forum with similar experience? Given figo was launched bs4, this is confusing.

subsequent psi diesel runs are smoother, that's what I call weird.
ownerofazkaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 09:35   #1581
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
I have seen consistent higher engine noise with shell diesel , has anyone on forum with similar experience? Given figo was launched bs4, this is confusing.

subsequent psi diesel runs are smoother, that's what I call weird.
This has been mentioned before and discussed at length. You are right with your observations. Shell diesel results in gruff sounding engine and slightly lower FE.

Reason is unknown but Indian Oil works best.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 12:10   #1582
Senior - BHPian

Today while refueling at Shell i noticed something weird. As a practice i do full tank and NO TOP UP (where in they keep filling till the neck). For record Shell petrol costs ~80 and others ~74.

The total cost of Petrol came to about INR 3616/-, and when i look at the last bill (from non-Shell Petrol Pump), i noticed the total bill was about INR 3500/-. Now with 5 Rupees difference over 40 Liters of petrol the difference should have been at-least Rs 200.

Wonder if there is a difference between the real quantity of petrol that went in and what it showed on the meter at the non-Shell outlet? Anyone else noticed this in Bangalore, i thought fuel meters were full proof.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 13:06   #1583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
i thought fuel meters were full proof.
No they are not fool proof. That is the problem with electronic readouts on modern pumps. You can tamper with them and nobody will be wiser as there will be no physical signs of tampering.

Edit: What about the quantity of fuel filled on both occasions?
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 11:47   #1584
BHPian

Today's Shocker :

Shell Normal @ 81.5.

Believe need to shed my transport and pick up Volvos in BLR
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 17:25   #1585
BHPian

Has shell increased the DIESEL prices? I was shocked today. I Went to the shell pump on Mumbai pune road near the Indian card clothing company (Pimpri) and the rate was 64 rupees. The last time i filled it was not long back and it was 54? I stood at the counter, spoke to the lady, and drove off to the Indian Oil pump near Sterling Honda showroom and filled it @ 45.5 bucks. I inquired about the Petrol rate and the lady said that has been increased to 81 bucks. What nonsense. Whats more stupid is that at the entrance there is a big board that says "free Oil checkup". So one fellow was checking his apatche rtr bike oil level there (surely for free) What is This? A pump or a extra curricular activity centre! There Wasnt one car There in the ten mins i stood there.

Last edited by arrowaby : 25th April 2012 at 17:32.
arrowaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 20:14   #1586
BHPian

Went for my usual fill of Shell super unleaded - R 84.35 day before in Blore.
Diesel last week was 61.50, Expensive yes, but still worth it for me, i prefer the quality and the piece of mind i get.

The strange part is that i see lots of diesel cars filling up too regularly, right from Ventos, Innovas, Swifts etc to the Premium germans !

The great powers that run our country need to do something about the improper pricing of fuels ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-20120425124.jpg  

nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 17:19   #1587
BHPian

I didn't know about the huge price difference in Diesel and went to Shell and asked them to fuel up for Rs. 500. I later realized that it cost 63 a liter as against 44 elsewhere. is 20 rupees a liter really justified? Is the normal diesel so adulterated that people are willing to pay almost the price of petrol for diesel?
Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 01:00   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Drove in to the Shell outlet here to be greeted by a Namaste.

The attendant asked me if I wanted "full Tank petrol" and I said 500 bucks

Then he asked me to fill in premium saying it would be great.I said I'm fine with unleaded.

Next,he asked me if I wanted an engine oil check.

Petrol at my favourite BP Bunk costs 69.94 while Shell cost me 78.70 - a difference of Rs.8.76 which is way too steep.

There is a difference between a natural customer friendly approach and a doctored "Namaste" with sweet talk - I felt the latter at Shell.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 01:25   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^That does not work for me. I dont find any perceptible difference between my fav BP CoCo bunk and Shell. I feel that the difference lies in adulteration. Otherwise, there is possibly no difference between Shell and PSU petrol. Yes, difference is there in service levels.

I wouldn't pay more than 1-2 bucks more for Shell. The current difference between prices is just huge.
Agreed here though I think 3-5 rupees more is also fine. I switched back to BP Speed since its Rs. 5 cheaper than Shell regular - and my experience is that Speed is atleast as good as Shell regular!

All this talk of 8Rs /l doesn't make much of a difference is not founded on fact. I have used Shell Super, Shell regular and BP Speed (IOC XtraPremium) for many years, and I can say that the main adv @ Shell is - no adulteration, no pump rigging and good service. I never found Shell Regular or Super giving higher FE than BP Speed!
lancer_rit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 11:08   #1590
BHPian

The difference is almost Rs12.50 in Hyderabad. 85.80 vs 73.12.
I'm not sure if that's worth the superior quality and upgraded service from Shell. But the sad reality is, that is the price you have to pay if you do not want to contribute to the widening fiscal deficit and subsidy bill. Shell and Essar are two alternatives available in Hyderabad. While Shell is priced at 85.80, Essar is priced at 81.50 for regular petrol.

And while criticising Shell for their obscene pricing (currently), we should remember that Shell is only pricing their fuel in accordance with the international prices. While Shell does charge a premium, it is usually 2-3 rupees over the unsubsidised price.
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote