Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th May 2014, 11:55   #2206
BHPian

Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
I had filled from Shell, Bannerghatta road yesterday for 77.65/litre.

They also had signs of a "promotion", where you get a free Pepsi can on fueling for a minimum of Rs. 500 of Shell Super.
I filled 500 rs of petrol for my bike from Shell petrol near graphite India signal and they gave me a can of Pepsi. The promotion is still on but not sure for how many days.
sabsubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 16:59   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Anyone trying shell diesel off late? I believe the current price difference is just Rs.3.xx and hence may be worth considering. I had used shell for my Indica earlier, (2006-2009) and was very pleased, but now I have a DDIS and hence not sure if this engine also likes shell. I am very tempted to try, but want to make sure before I do.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 17:39   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Anyone trying shell diesel off late? I believe the current price difference is just Rs.3.xx and hence may be worth considering. I had used shell for my Indica earlier, (2006-2009) and was very pleased, but now I have a DDIS and hence not sure if this engine also likes shell. I am very tempted to try, but want to make sure before I do.
65.75 Shell diesel
61.94- PSU Diesel. It is worth paying the difference of Rs.3.8 per litre. . But do note, many people have not had a positive experience with Shell Diesel-Performance wise. I have felt the car lagging and having considerable loss of power when it was on Shell Diesel. So switched back to PSU.

Do check on this thread for more such cases. I think their diesel is so pure, the Indian car engines are not ready to run on it. They are so used to the c**p dished out by PSU pumps.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 17:44   #2209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
65.75 Shell diesel
61.94- PSU Diesel. It is worth paying the difference of Rs.3.8 per litre. . But do note, many people have not had a positive experience with Shell Diesel-Performance wise. I have felt the car lagging and having considerable loss of power when it was on Shell Diesel. So switched back to PSU.

Do check on this thread for more such cases. I think their diesel is so pure, the Indian car engines are not ready to run on it. They are so used to the c**p dished out by PSU pumps.
LOL.. exactly my concern. The older Indica turbo loved the shell and i only used shell for almost 3 years before the difference became exponential.
Not sure how the DDIS would react to it, so a little worried if I should go with it or not. Guess, I will watch it for couple of months and then take the plunge.

Ps - is yours a skoda? I thought they prefer pure diesel and not our C**P PSU diesel.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 17:49   #2210
BHPian

Quote:
My Grande Punto Sports has been on Shell Diesel except for the complimentary fuel that is filled when the car is first driven out of the showroom. This is a Nov'2013 purchase. This is my first diesel car & I haven't run it on PSU diesels to help differentiate but not long ago, I drove a friends Indica Vista & considerable difference I can spot is that the engine clatter is considerably lower & emission (black soot) seems next to negligible.

Since you mention DDiS, which is but FIAT 1.3 MJD, I suppose your experience should be no different than mine (except that you may get better mileage based on state of tune of your engine - 75bhp in Swift & Dzire)
tabrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 10:52   #2211
Senior - BHPian

Last time i filled Petrol at Hinjewadi Shell pump, it was 79.5 / liter. Around 1.5 Rs costly than HP.

One question to all, people claim that average increases when you fill Petrol at Shell Pump. How much truth in this ? How much difference people has experienced ?
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 00:04   #2212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Last time i filled Petrol at Hinjewadi Shell pump, it was 79.5 / liter. Around 1.5 Rs costly than HP.

One question to all, people claim that average increases when you fill Petrol at Shell Pump. How much truth in this ? How much difference people has experienced ?
I don't think there is much difference. I usually fill up at shell when in chennai and at a trusted HP bunk when travel to erode as there is no shell pump there. There is hardly any difference in average. But the point is i hardly have a PSU pump in chennai that i can trust to dispense good quality as well as quantity fuel. So go for shell for the assurance of quality and quantity if you cant find those in the PSU pumps.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 11:52   #2213
BHPian

Filled up my tank yesterday at Shell bunk in Porur, Chennai @ 77.20/litre. They did not have any promos running though.
SRTH1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 15:06   #2214
BHPian

Quote:

I generally measure the FE of my i10 1.1 during my occasional highway trips - bangalore to mysore.

With Shell IOCL petrol I got FE of 18-19 kmpl, whereas with IOCL petrol I got FE of 16 kmpl.

Traffic conditions, driving style and vehicle load were similar in both trips, road condition was actually much better in the trip with IOCL petrol. Road was given a fresh coat of tar because of the elections.

Shell petrol gives better FE - no doubt about it.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 15:16   #2215
Senior - BHPian

Shell Segehalli BSIII Rs. 77.40
Shell Old Madras Road BS4 Rs. 78.30
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 00:08   #2216
BHPian

Finally succumbed to the temptation.. Have a long drive to Mangalore coming up tomorrow. Went to the Shell bunk near Graphite India. Refuelled 30.64kms for 2000Rs..

Will post on the performance after my drive So far in the city though feels kinda smooth. Or may be its my bias to Shell saying so..
ilbkrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 11:02   #2217
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used Shell Diesel many times when i owned a Fusion. The Ford TDCi engines seemed to hate Shell Diesel. My car had started to sound like a tractor with a lot (really a lot) of Diesel clatter.

I tried Shell Diesel once in the New Fiesta and the car exhibited the same high decibel Diesel Clatter. My Endeavour with the Shell Diesel sounded like an old Diesel Generator.

No difference in mileage whatsoever.

I don't think i will shift to Shell Diesel even if they are priced similar to the PSU Diesels.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 16:42   #2218
BHPian

Topped up from Shell OMR, Chennai @ 76.75/litre. No shortselling or tricks. Plain simple and courteous staff
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 19:03   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Lots of these claims about Shell fuel giving better mileage is hype and hearsay with hardly any truth. If you have access to a honest PSU pump, you will not notice any difference whatsoever.
I have measured the mileage several times and now I stick to the HP pump near my house as it costs 1.5 Rs lower.

It makes sense for people who think that the PSU pump they are using are taking them for a ride. With Shell, you get peace of mind. So, no harm in trying once. If you see any noticeable difference, stick to Shell otherwise not.
In my case, it does not make sense to drive a few kms out of my regular route and pay Rs 1.5 more for no perceptible difference.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 19:49   #2220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Lots of these claims about Shell fuel giving better mileage is hype and hearsay with hardly any truth.
No it's not. The company doesn't advertise much so it's primary word of mouth that has given Shell this reputation.
Quote:
If you have access to a honest PSU pump, you will not notice any difference whatsoever.
This is true but finding an honest PSU pump in Pune is quite a task. General consensus among TBHPians here (through a casual poll) is that there are a handful of pumps that can be trusted (maybe half a dozen if you include the expressway pumps). Sorry but that is just not good enough.

Quote:
It makes sense for people who think that the PSU pump they are using are taking them for a ride. With Shell, you get peace of mind. So, no harm in trying once. If you see any noticeable difference, stick to Shell otherwise not.
Let me put it in these terms: with a few exceptions every PSU pump in Pune (and elsewhere) will try to rip you off. This is not a statement made casually. Couple of us have even tried to analyse this phenomenon. Apparently the PSU pumps make 65 paise per litre of fuel sold- yup that's no mistake, on an MRP of 80 rupees or so they make less than a percent margin. Since it's impossible that the management is unaware of these short-fuelling shenanigans the obvious conclusion is that they are hand in glove with them. No wonder then that the non-Shell pump attendants are constantly trying to divert your attention so that you don't notice how much they short fuel you. I'd say around 200-300 Rs minimum per person conned. That alone translates to a 5-10% improvement in FE, just through amount of fuel dispensed correctly.

Whether the fuel itself is of better quality than PSU pumps I couldn't say but it's a reasonable stretch to that.
Quote:
In my case, it does not make sense to drive a few kms out of my regular route and pay Rs 1.5 more for no perceptible difference.
Fair enough. That doesn't justify claiming that other posters promote "hype" and "hearsay" .

Last edited by noopster : 30th June 2014 at 19:50. Reason: Missed a word
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote