Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th July 2014, 20:07   #2236
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yeah noticed this trend with the guys marketing super. I didn't have to face it as my driver got out told the guy in local language to keep quiet and just fill the fuel. lol.
They are instructed to repeat the same thing to each and every customer. I used to get irritated but hey, they are just doing their job. So I just tell them to please do not talk politely and they oblige.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 00:44   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Has a horrible experience at Shell at CBI road.

I was there to refuel. Went through the usual garbage talk about shell super. I clearly told him regular 30 Ltrs.
Then I see the clown taking out the super filler and trying to open the petrol cover.

That's when I flip and ask why the super?
He gives me a cheap smile and says "Saar Only super" "Normal over"

I tell him no thank you and I was about to leave.
When I see the them refueling another car and some bikers with regular petrol.

I go over and ask how come these guys get regular and I don't?

Again I get a cheap smile and they tell "saar only for 200-300rs we can give regular petrol"

Shell needs to fix this kind of attitude from their people working there.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 01:03   #2238
BHPian

Oh. I dont fancy Shell fuel considering the "longer" queues all the time, even tho they are courteous etc. Coming to the point of Shell Super being offered, at least they are telling you about it. This Super only problem used to exist initially when they started operations [2004/5? not sure] and I used to drive away without filling at the Hosur road outlet.

There is a HP bunk a few 100 meters before (almost next to CBI office??) where they pump in HP Power (or whatever that is called) without even asking. It happened to me once some time back and was like what the heck, has petrol prices gone up soo high, then he says, you should've mentioned. you have stopped near this HP Power pump and I filled it. It was my mistake & since then, wherever I refuel, I always announce "normal petrol, full tank" (or for 2k rs) and glance at the price/ltr display once when they say "Zeeeroo Saaaaar".
null is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 06:27   #2239
BHPian

Shell attendent's push for super petrol in ORR has increased so much now-a-days as I've to tell normal petrol atleast 5 times during conversation. It almost looks like management will punish them if they are not able to sell super petrol as per target each day.
VSRK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 10:14   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Shell Super Unleaded petrol Rs 88.80 today. Normal unleaded Rs 79.xx.

BTW I saw in the papers after budget that "branded" petrol to cost Rs 5.00 less. Does that cover this one?

In Chromepet Shell bunk they don't try to push SULP. They merely ask once whether we want it.

Last edited by Gansan : 13th July 2014 at 10:18.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 11:28   #2241
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
In Chromepet Shell bunk they don't try to push SULP. They merely ask once whether we want it.
I guess the attitude varies from one Shell pump to another, depending on the pressure exerted by the franchisee on the pump attendants to push Super. At some pumps, they explain the benefits (handing out those leaflets on Super) and ask us to try it at least once to experience the gain in FE. I usually reply that the price is not worth it. At some others, they just ask us which one we prefer without trying to push Super. Perhaps, it depends on the stock each pump chooses to buy from Shell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Shell Super Unleaded petrol Rs 88.80 today. Normal unleaded Rs 79.xx.

BTW I saw in the papers after budget that "branded" petrol to cost Rs 5.00 less. Does that cover this one?
Yes, it is supposed to apply to Shell Super as well. Maybe Shell was lethargic to update the prices, as they sometimes are by a couple of days.

If they cut the price, Shell Super may become better value now. I still don't know if the difference would be worth it, if it is anything more than two rupees a litre.

Last edited by RSR : 13th July 2014 at 11:30.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 21:30   #2242
Senior - BHPian

^^In Chromepet bunk, there is a regular clientele for Sulp like me, who will fill only that, come what may! It includes some TVS 50 and autorickshas too! I guess the sale of SULP Vs Normal here is about 40:60.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 22:24   #2243
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a Shell banner on diesel price in big font stating that the current price is Rs. 66.90 on one of Metro pillars on Mysore Road. With the monthly installment of 50 paise hikes, the price will narrow down to Rs 1/- or lesser. Once this is the case, it will make sense to head to Shell for diesel.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 13th July 2014 at 22:26.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 21:40   #2244
BHPian

Filled Shell Super today at the Kanakapura Road outlet (near NICE road) in Bangalore. Rs 85.50 for Super! It used to be Rs 90.X for Super before the Govt decided to reduce the price of branded fuel. So, Shell Super is, thankfully, being considered as "branded fuel".
narenteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 00:31   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Shell at Mundhwa, Pune is notorious for trying to sell Super every time. They just state that regular petrol is over.
I simply go back to the HP bunk and fill up.
Current price of Super is around Rs. 87 in Pune.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 07:24   #2246
BHPian

Can someone mention the names of pumps where they uncomfortably push for Shell Super? I know about Bellandur, ORR Shell. Others? Will escalate to someone I know at Shell and very responsive.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 08:43   #2247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Can someone mention the names of pumps where they uncomfortably push for Shell Super? I know about Bellandur, ORR Shell. Others? Will escalate to someone I know at Shell and very responsive.
I think they all push Super. In the good old days the premium used to be a couple of bucks so I'd be ok with Super. But these days it is closer to 10 rupees/litre. So unless one is vigilant it's possible one would just nod when they ask "Super-aa?" and get royally ripped off. A few additives certainly aren't worth all that much.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 09:19   #2248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I think they all push Super. In the good old days the premium used to be a couple of bucks so I'd be ok with Super. But these days it is closer to 10 rupees/litre. So unless one is vigilant it's possible one would just nod when they ask "Super-aa?" and get royally ripped off. A few additives certainly aren't worth all that much.
They asking to fill Super is certainly OK for me. But the way guys at Bellandur bunk push for it *multiple times* is pathetic.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 17:33   #2249
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the good old days the premium used to be a couple of bucks so I'd be ok with Super. But these days it is closer to 10 rupees/litre.
I filled Shell Unleaded yesterday. The pump attendant lady had a bright smile as she pushed Shell Super by stating that its price has come down a lot. I politely refused.

After the budget's tax cut on "branded fuels", the price of Shell Super has indeed come down. It is ~ ₹ 5 per litre now (don't know the exact amount).

Quote:
A few additives certainly aren't worth all that much.
Yeah! Even at 5 rupees a litre, I still don't think Shell Super is worth the difference.

A few like Gansan, who use only Shell Super and swear by it, would obviously disagree.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 18:09   #2250
BHPian

I used Shell Super in my Maruti Swift for 6 years before I sold it. I was Rs. 26k poorer when I sold my car, the actual beneficiary was the car buyer, because of the smooth engine!
cpbopanna is offline   Reply With Quote