Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2014, 14:45   #2266
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 522
Thanked: 459 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
However, my experience with Shell diesel has not been positive so far. While quantity was fine, I could feel a definite drop in power and pickup. My Rapid was struggling and seemed like it was pulling a bullock cart. I switched back to PSU and have not had any issues. I always fill from the Bowring petrol pump or the BP COCO near Fathima bakery. No hanky panky from the attendants and acceptable mileage from both places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Shell diesel indeed makes a difference to pickup and smoothness. After the initial hiccup to get used to pure good quality diesel after being on a diet of not-so-pure diesel for more than 50K kms, our i20 has become quieter and more responsive . As long as the difference is less than 200 bucks for a tankfull i would stick to shell
Actually, is there any difference at all between Shell and PSU fuels? I have never felt any difference in the case of petrol. I just prefer Shell because I believe I would not be cheated in quantity. I remember a post earlier saying that Shell actually buys from IOC. If that is true, then there should not be any difference in quality. Unless the PSU pumps or Shell pumps adulterate.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 15:21   #2267
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 353
Thanked: 51 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
The difference between Shell Diesel and PSU is Rs.2.85 per litre. For a 40L fill, the difference is approx Rs.114/-, which is not significant at all.

However, my experience with Shell diesel has not been positive so far. While quantity was fine, I could feel a definite drop in power and pickup. My Rapid was struggling and seemed like it was pulling a bullock cart. I switched back to PSU and have not had any issues. I always fill from the Bowring petrol pump or the BP COCO near Fathima bakery. No hanky panky from the attendants and acceptable mileage from both places.
My experience with shell diesel in my Ertiga DDiS was similar. I felt the engine was running smoother and slightly less noisy but the low end pickup was poor, when compared with running on diesel from HP that I fill regularly. I have switched back to HP.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 20:18   #2268
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,151
Thanked: 3,430 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
My experience with shell diesel in my Ertiga DDiS was similar. I felt the engine was running smoother and slightly less noisy but the low end pickup was poor, when compared with running on diesel from HP that I fill regularly. I have switched back to HP.
This was the reason that I moved away from Shell. I have noticed a lack of sharpness in the engine performance .. While engine sounded smoother / quieter, response felt kind of soft. Due to this, I used to occasionally fill outside. And then the big price hike happened when Shell increase the price by about 5 per litre compared to PSU diesel. Have not gone back to Shell since then.

Today I read that the difference is a little over 1 Rs per liter. So I came to this thread to check on that. But first thing I saw was similar feedback about performance. So no reason for me to go back to Shell, even occasionally.
Btw. the update about the price I had read was not correct.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 20:43   #2269
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,744
Thanked: 8,608 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

The last 5 tankfuls have been from Shell ever since I noticed during my 20k service that the Diesel was all smelling more kerosene and less diesel when the fuel filter was replaced.

My observations thus far in my Ertiga are as follows:
  • Definitely smoother for all rev bands when accelerated
  • If I need to continue in 3rd gear at a very low speed and accelerate, the typical feel of lugging is non-existent and makes me feel that it will take off smoothly without asking for a down-shift
  • No difference whatsoever in terms of Average Fuel efficiency as it hovers anywhere between 15-17kmpl in city traffic and 18-20kmpl on highway runs - This was same when I was on BPCL too
The only reason I am sticking to Shell is probably due to the complacency factor that the adulteration levels with it would be on the lower side.

However, I may just shift to BPCL for once and see if I notice a difference to ensure I am not being carried away with false impression due to consistent refills at Shell.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 21:32   #2270
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,368
Thanked: 3,800 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The last 5 tankfuls have been from Shell ever since I noticed during my 20k service that the Diesel was all smelling more kerosene and less diesel when the fuel filter was replaced.

My observations thus far in my Ertiga are as follows:
  • Definitely smoother for all rev bands when accelerated
  • If I need to continue in 3rd gear at a very low speed and accelerate, the typical feel of lugging is non-existent and makes me feel that it will take off smoothly without asking for a down-shift
  • No difference whatsoever in terms of Average Fuel efficiency as it hovers anywhere between 15-17kmpl in city traffic and 18-20kmpl on highway runs - This was same when I was on BPCL too
The only reason I am sticking to Shell is probably due to the complacency factor that the adulteration levels with it would be on the lower side.

However, I may just shift to BPCL for once and see if I notice a difference to ensure I am not being carried away with false impression due to consistent refills at Shell.
Has the diesel price at Shell come down, if I can recollect correctly it was 66.80 for the diesel. Wish they reduce it by the trend and bring it closer to the PSU price. One more thing I have observed is when refuelled at Shell, there is lesser smoke under hard acceleration. Has anybody else observed the same.

The other observations are spot on.
nkrishnap is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 22:13   #2271
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,353
Thanked: 1,705 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

I too moved to Shell Diesel for my Linea since last 5-6 tanks and felt it to be lot smoother. Never bothered to check FE either. I too feel no change. The Shell diesel now costs 64.45 per liter at Shell pump next to Cauvery theatre. Don't know if its only this pump or uniform across all shell pumps
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 07:35   #2272
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Hello friends. Is there a Shell Petrol pump in Mumbai??
pokerface23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014, 13:26   #2273
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 8,880
Thanked: 13,128 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Shell prices today, in Bangalore, for BSIV petrol is Rs.77 /l
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014, 13:52   #2274
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,404
Thanked: 855 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Super Unleaded Petrol Rs 81.10 today!
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014, 17:33   #2275
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,353
Thanked: 1,705 Times
Default

Just found that not all shell pumps are dispensing at discounted rates in Bangalore. Shell pump near cauvery theater and one on mysore road near nayndalli junction for sure dispensing at 64.45 a liter
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 13:05   #2276
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,404
Thanked: 855 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

There is an offer running for Shell synthetic lubes in the Chromepet Shell Pump. They say it is applicable in all Shell outlets in Chennai, though whether available across the country presently is not known.

Do an oil change (or buy and carry) minimum three litres of Shell Helix Ultra. Fill fuel at the same time, and avail Rs 5.00 per litre of fuel filled, whether Super / Regular /Diesel.

Same offer holds good for bikes too. Buy one litre of Shell Advance Ultra, and get same Rs 5.00 discount per litre of petrol filled.

If one wants to try full synthetic, now is the time! If your car can take in 40 litres of fuel, that is a round Rs 200.00 off! Offer valid from August 1st to September 30th.

Prices of lubes:

Helix Ultra 4 litre pack: Rs 5140.00

Helix Ultra 1 litre pack : Rs 1285.00

Advance Ultra (bike)1 litre pack : Rs 820.00

I will definitely buy a litre for my bike before the offer runs out! Once bike hits reserve, can easily take in > 10 litres of fuel. Car's oil was changed barely a month ago. May be I will buy three litres of oil and keep for the next oil change, provided my car uses up at least 30 litres of fuel before the offer runs out.

Offer valid only if oil is purchased at Shell outlets. Please confirm the details with the pump attendants before you proceed with the purchase.

P.S. When I patiently took in all the details, they asked what for. When told I will post it on the Shell thread of TBHP, I was given a box of tissues free!

Last edited by Gansan : 17th August 2014 at 13:33.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 13:31   #2277
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Do an oil change (or buy and carry) minimum three litres of Shell Helix Ultra. Fill fuel at the same time, and avail Rs 5.00 per litre of fuel filled, whether Super / Regular /Diesel.

Same offer holds good for bikes too. Buy one litre of Shell Advance Ultra, and get same Rs 5.00 discount per litre of petrol filled.

Prices of lubes:

Helix Ultra 4 litre pack: Rs 5140.00

Helix Ultra 1 litre pack : Rs 1285.00

Advance Ultra (bike)1 litre pack : Rs 820.00
Shell oils are available outside at lower costs. I bought a 4 liter can of Shell Helix Ultra for Rs 3800 when MRP was 4400. Its tough/not possible to get similar savings when paying MRP for oils and the 5rs per liter discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If one wants to try full synthetic, now is the time! If your car can take in 40 litres of fuel, that is a round Rs 2000.00 off! Offer valid from August 1st to September 30th.
Sorry but isn't 5x40 = Rs 200.00 and not 2000.00?

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 17th August 2014 at 13:33.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 13:34   #2278
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,404
Thanked: 855 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Sorry but isn't 5x40 = Rs 200.00 and not 2000.00?
Sorry for the typo. Corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Shell oils are available outside at lower costs. I bought a 4 liter can of Shell Helix Ultra for Rs 3800 when MRP was 4400.
I see. I did not know this much difference would be there. But I will rather buy from Shell outlets, unless I am absolutely sure of the source.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th August 2014 at 22:11. Reason: merging/deleted duplicate post.
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 03:23   #2279
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,809
Thanked: 11,578 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Just found that not all shell pumps are dispensing at discounted rates in Bangalore. Shell pump near cauvery theater and one on mysore road near nayndalli junction for sure dispensing at 64.45 a liter

What's the price difference between Shell diesel and ordinary diesel in Bangalore?


Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 12:10   #2280
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,330
Thanked: 1,027 Times
Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Just found that not all shell pumps are dispensing at discounted rates in Bangalore. Shell pump near cauvery theater and one on mysore road near nayndalli junction for sure dispensing at 64.45 a liter
The Shell pump @ Bommanahalli is dispensing diesel at 66.XX per liter.

Shell normal at the pump near Dmart, before Varthur is priced at 76.20 per liter.

--Anoop
theexperthand is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List of BPCL outlets selling Speed 97 petrol in India aadix The Indian Car Scene 40 9th April 2017 03:46
Accessories, Tyres, Lubes etc. - Hot Wheels (Trivandrum) pramodkumar Other Cities 2 16th February 2013 23:56
Filters & Lubes For Ford Endeavour 2004 pskrishnan Technical Stuff 6 2nd September 2012 21:41
Short supply of fuel at Shell outlets in Bangalore benbsb29 Shifting gears 53 5th July 2007 16:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks