Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd November 2014, 15:16   #2356
BHPian

Default re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
A request. Please send an email immediately to the customer service with the date and time this happened. We need to nip it at the bud and I am sure, Shell takes immediate action on such cases, especially since they have cameras all around.
Its not correct for Shell to resort to such cheap tactics or one bad egg spoiling it for all.
Last weekend, I went to the Shell pump at Kharadi, Pune for filling up petrol. Here is the conversation that ensued ..

Me (After pulling up near the pump) : Please fill up tank - normal petrol.
Attendant : Sir, you will pay by card or cash.
Me : I will pay by card, of course.
Attendant : Sorry sir, there is some issue with card reading machine.
Me : Oh okay!! I don;t have enough cash, I will come back later. (Started the car and about to leave)
Attendant : Sir, do you have chip card or swipe card?
Me : I have both. I mean, the chip card is also swipe readable. Will the machine read swipe card?
Attendant : Let me check. (Calls his superior)
Superior attendant : Sir, not sure if card works or not. We will try your card first and if it works, we will fill petrol.
Me : But I want full tank, I cannot tell you the amount.
Superior attendant : We will swipe for Rs. 3000/- then if tank fills we will refund the remaining cash.
Me (thought for a min) : Ok, lets do that.
Superior attendant swipes card, and it works. Money is deducted, receipt is generated and I get SMS of bank. I asked for the receipt to be printed specifically.

Now the attendant asks to open the fuel lid. He then asks me to check zero. He picks up the nozzle for the SUPER unleaded petrol and was about to fit into the fuel receiver.

Me : Hey, I asked for NORMAL petrol and not SUPER.
Attendant : Oh, I thought you asked for SUPER petrol.
Me : Fill up NORMAL petrol.

Filled up petrol up to the Rs. 3000 mark that was already set. While filling, attendant asks about engine oil, wiper water service etc. He also tried to sell me some toy which was available at a discount if you fill petrol over 30 lts. I kept my eye on the running meter and said no to all such distracted questions. After filling gave a dirty look to the attendant who surprisingly returned a smile. It was almost as if he appreciated that I caught his bluff.

So, gentlemen, I never expected Shell pump personnel to come up with such a ruse. Whenever I go here, they always try to oversell me their super or premium petrol.

This pump is located at Mundhwa, on the Kharadi bypass road. If you are coming from Koregaon Park and you take a right towards Hadapsar, the pump is just after the right turn.
sukhoi30 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:32   #2357
BHPian

Shell diesel at 58.65, last night filled at Sadashivnagar.
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:08   #2358
Senior - BHPian

Regular Unleaded @70.95 INR/ltr.

Another annoying day at Shell. Tanked up at Shell Mysore Road. I stopped, opened the fuel lid release and got out, this is how the conversation went:

Me: Regular petrol, full tank please.
Him: Buy super unleaded saar, better <insert usual sermon points>
Me: <Silence>
Him: You want the new toy saar? Discount if you buy more than 30 ltrs.
Him: Want engine oil top-up, snacks from the store, windscreen wash, blah blah?
Him: What do you want?
Me: I told you what I want.
Him: Grumbles, resets the meter and shoves the nozzle into the tank, which promptly cuts off. He tries again, same result. "Your tank is already full saar".
Me: "No it isn't. Take out nozzle, place it correctly and set the dispenser switch".

There was no further conversation. I checked the lid for proper closure, paid my bill, said thanks and left.

I'm starting to believe 'silent treatment' works best on Shell attendants now. I've complained to the manager a few times but nothing seems to change.
Apparently 'dispensing fuel properly' is not on the job description anymore, pushy salesmanship is item#1.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 10:33   #2359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Last weekend, I went to the Shell pump at Kharadi, Pune for filling up petrol. Here is the conversation that ensued ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Another annoying day at Shell. Tanked up at Shell Mysore Road. I stopped, opened the fuel lid release and got out, this is how the conversation went:
Have reported both this issues to someone senior I know at Shell. Last time I had complained about this selling attitude at Bellandur outlet and dont see such push for Super petrol anymore.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 13:47   #2360
BHPian

Unhappy re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Have reported both this issues to someone senior I know at Shell. Last time I had complained about this selling attitude at Bellandur outlet and dont see such push for Super petrol anymore.
Maybe you are lucky then.
I have only been using Shell for my car since beginning thus, have been frequenting Old Madras Road(Big Bazaar), Whitefield(Graphite Factory) and Bellandur pumps. In my honest opinion the Whitefield one has better staff. Yeah, they ask you for Super or Normal but, then leave you to choose, never really saw them pushing for Super. However, its totally opposite with the Bellandur ones. Its like their life depends on my saying yes or no to Super.
I do understand that they too are being pushed for it by their seniors (Shell earns more via Super rather than normal) but, then am sure Shell has reputed business leaders to teach these guys more pleasant ways and timing to push for it.
HarshVShrotriya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 14:52   #2361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It is possible that there was some accumulation over a period of time and this time, the indicator came on requiring you to get it cleaned ? I dont think there would be so much water in the fuel to cause this in one tank-ful
I agree with what you are saying, The reason I am zeroing in on Shell fuel being the culprit is that, during the recent rains in Chennai, This shell bunk had water logged atleast to a foot's depth. I filled fuel after 3 to 4 days once the water had drained, I was a bit hesitant to fill but still believed that Shell would have the necessary quality control in place and filled the fuel. The performance was really sluggish throughout the 300 odd kms done.
karts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 15:36   #2362
Senior - BHPian

I filled up at the Shell petrol pump Chennai Pallikaranai today. 69.33 per litre. Experience was very good.

The attendant greeted me and asked whether i need ordninary or super. I said ordinary and he nodded and started filling up after showing zero. He kept talking to me about toys / lubricants but i politely told him that lets finish the filling first. I purchased the ferrari lego toy for my son. THey were selling @ Rs 250/- minus discount of Rs 3/- per litre. I filled in 23 litres, so i got Rs 69 discount, which means i got the lego toy for Rs 180/- .

I already feel my car sounding smoother in just 4 kms of driving. The petrol definetly has some additives that work.

Pros
  • Clean and Neat Premises
  • No crowd
  • Two wheelers and cars have separate counters so no 2-wheelers are trying to squeeze their way thru.
  • Neat tuck shop for eatables and other car products.
  • Clean Loo

Cons:
  • Less attendants - need to wait till other cars finished
  • Credit card machine was inside the tuck shop, so had to lock car - go - sign - come back. Not suited if one is hard pressed for time. Most banks offer wireless credit card swipe machines. Shell's Salary account bank would provide the machine at no charge, given the fact Shell is a huge corporate.
  • Windscreen wash facility NOT avaialble. No people or equipment were there.

I will definetly visit the outlet the next time.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 15:45   #2363
BHPian

Paid 70.60/- at Rajaji Nagar yesterday(near ISKCON). Got 4.25L for Rs.300/- after a long time. Wonder why there is difference in price inside Bengaluru city itself.
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 15:57   #2364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I purchased the ferrari lego toy for my son. THey were selling @ Rs 250/- minus discount of Rs 3/- per litre. I filled in 23 litres, so i got Rs 69 discount, which means i got the lego toy for Rs 180/- .
I swear by normal PSU petrol and Diesel but this Ferrari lego toy caught my attention. Can someone please confirm if this is there on Belandur or Bommanhalli shell as well I may fill up at shell for sake of lego
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 17:10   #2365
h14
BHPian

Shell diesel now costs Rs.57.85 in OMR Chennai. Less than a rupee difference from the PSU's. I did pick up the Lego and got a discount of Rs.118 for 39 litres of fuel filled
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 17:31   #2366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I swear by normal PSU petrol and Diesel but this Ferrari lego toy caught my attention. Can someone please confirm if this is there on Belandur or Bommanhalli shell as well I may fill up at shell for sake of lego
The Lego toys are available at both Whitefield (Graphite) and Bomanhalli outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Shell diesel now costs Rs.57.85 in OMR Chennai. Less than a rupee difference from the PSU's. I did pick up the Lego and got a discount of Rs.118 for 39 litres of fuel filled
I filled up 37 ltrs of diesel but they (the guy at Bommanahalli outlet) said maximum discount is for 30 lts, so got only 90 rs discount

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 18:30   #2367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
.....maximum discount is for 30 lts, so got only 90 rs discount

--Anoop
That's so they don't have to give away the toys (nearly) free to SUV owners
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 20:27   #2368
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I filled up 37 ltrs of diesel but they (the guy at Bommanahalli outlet) said maximum discount is for 30 lts, so got only 90 rs discount

Quote:
I don't think so. They gave me discount for 39 liters. Here's the bill.

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-1415113006118.jpg
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 11:40   #2369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
I don't think so. They gave me discount for 39 liters. Here's the bill.

Attachment 1305502
Ah, I didn't wait to collect the bill. Will make a note of this next time I tank up at Shell.

--Anoop
Old 14th November 2014, 16:43   #2370
Senior - BHPian

Got few more clarifications about the promo scheme at Shell - the discount on the Lego toy is 3 rs per liter for four wheeler and 5 rs per liter for two wheeler - there is no upper limit of liters for discount (as mentioned to me earlier at bommanahalli shell pump).

--Anoop