Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 19:03   #1216
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,416
Thanked: 2,204 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I might be doing a repeat here, but, can someone help me understand whether an SHELL NORMAL Unleaded petrol, if used in a car who's manufacturer recommends 91 grade petrol, void the warranty?

Car: Fabia 1.6 2011 (counting days to delivery!)
Location: Bangalore
Fuel station options: Shell @Bommanahalli & IOC company pump. (prefer shell though)

Set off to book the car after the sales guy told me that normal unleaded is what the car needs, but another fellow bhpian just provided me with photo proof that the manufacturer recommends 91 grade. :-( Now, that means, I'm gonna have to shell out another 400rs for every tank up. Oops !
No! It is merely a recommendation. It cannot be grounds for warranty to be void.

And IIRC, all the "regular" fuel sold in India IS 91 grade. (Premium, Hi-speed etc. has a higher octane)
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 19:21   #1217
BHPian
 
vigneshnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 140
Thanked: 34 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Mostoften I refill from shell @ bommanahalli. I find their service and fuel quality much better. My mileage invariably was consistent and high. Yesterday I was shellshoked to know Rs. 74.XX for 1000ml.
For a moment I felt that I've landed in future.
My rationale doesn't allow to pay so much premium for fuel. I don't think 10rupees is justified. I just filled for 1000 bucks hesitantly and moved on. Can someone quantify the raise in prices at shell ?
vigneshnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 23:05   #1218
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,404
Thanked: 855 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I might be doing a repeat here, but, can someone help me understand whether an SHELL NORMAL Unleaded petrol, if used in a car who's manufacturer recommends 91 grade petrol, void the warranty?

Car: Fabia 1.6 2011 (counting days to delivery!)
Location: Bangalore
Fuel station options: Shell @Bommanahalli & IOC company pump. (prefer shell though)

Set off to book the car after the sales guy told me that normal unleaded is what the car needs, but another fellow bhpian just provided me with photo proof that the manufacturer recommends 91 grade. :-( Now, that means, I'm gonna have to shell out another 400rs for every tank up. Oops !
All, repeat all, petrol sold in metro cities was 91 RON. Post Bharat IV implementation, I think it is now 93 RON. So there is no question of voiding warranty for any car. Even the premium fuels of any brand are of the same RON, but contain additives to keep the engine clean. The only exception is Speed 97, which is 97 RON.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 23:10   #1219
BHPian
 
Born 2 Be Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DILLI
Posts: 375
Thanked: 123 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
All, repeat all, petrol sold in metro cities was 91 RON. Post Bharat IV implementation, I think it is now 93 RON. So there is no question of voiding warranty for any car. Even the premium fuels of any brand are of the same RON, but contain additives to keep the engine clean. The only exception is Speed 97, which is 97 RON.
Normal fuel post BS 4 Is 91 Octane, not 93 Octane. Premium fuels are mostly 91 Octane mixed with Additives, Exception Is speed 97 from BPCL.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 23:13   #1220
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,404
Thanked: 855 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Normal fuel post BS 4 Is 91 Octane.
Is it so? Because I am sure they were 91 RON even before BS IV.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 23:30   #1221
BHPian
 
Born 2 Be Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DILLI
Posts: 375
Thanked: 123 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is it so? Because I am sure they were 91 RON even before BS IV.
BS4 was never about increasing the octane rating of fuels it only lowered the Sulfur content in fuels and made the fuels cleaner.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 22:45   #1222
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 115
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Any one have an idea if the Reliance petrol outlet at Maraimalaingar is functioning now and what would be the price/liter, would it be same as Shell?
aravinrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 00:53   #1223
BHPian
 
MA5K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 76
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

77.5 per liter in Bangalore now for Super!!! :(

Feel like going back to regular HP/BP/IO fuel.. :(
MA5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 08:32   #1224
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 59
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Here is some math that i did
I have seen that Shell Normal and PSU premium are the same grade, in terms of the way car runs- must be some data to support this
PSU Premium is about 69 Rs(rounded off) and Shell Normal 75
I fill about 50 liters a month
With PSU:
Assuming a mileage of 12, i fill worth Rs 3450.00
With Shell:
I get a little better mileage i have seen, 13 and i fill worth 3750
Difference is a run of 50 kms more with Shell mileage
This means i need to fill worth R 272.00 more in PSU to equate the run
The difference in outflow is R 28.00!!
Is there something that i am missing?
Looking at this, worth to fill shell, still!
The equation changes if i compare NORMAL PSU to NORMAL Shell
Still about 200 Rs saved only, and the peace of mind of getting proper quality and quantity??
Views, Thoughts?
PS: I filled PSU last few times and then did this maths, now deciding where to go!
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 14:31   #1225
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,212
Thanked: 495 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Bangalore - Shell regular is now 74.xx
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 17:20   #1226
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,416
Thanked: 2,204 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise View Post
Here is some math that i did
I have seen that Shell Normal and PSU premium are the same grade, in terms of the way car runs- must be some data to support this
PSU Premium is about 69 Rs(rounded off) and Shell Normal 75
I fill about 50 liters a month
With PSU:
Assuming a mileage of 12, i fill worth Rs 3450.00
With Shell:
I get a little better mileage i have seen, 13 and i fill worth 3750
Difference is a run of 50 kms more with Shell mileage
This means i need to fill worth R 272.00 more in PSU to equate the run
The difference in outflow is R 28.00!!
Is there something that i am missing?
Looking at this, worth to fill shell, still!
The equation changes if i compare NORMAL PSU to NORMAL Shell
Still about 200 Rs saved only, and the peace of mind of getting proper quality and quantity??
Views, Thoughts?
PS: I filled PSU last few times and then did this maths, now deciding where to go!
PSU Normal is 65-odd and Shell Normal is 74-odd so consider a difference of 10 (for ease of calculation). You save Rs 10/l and based on your 50litres a month, that works out to Rs. 500/month and about 92 kms more of running.

Firstly, decide if you need PSU premium at all; most sedans/hatches don't "need" premium fuel.

It's up to you to decide if that 500/month is worth it and also how further you are willing to go for Shell.

A diff. up to Rs. 2-3 is fine for me to line-up at Shell, not more than that.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 17:25   #1227
BHPian
 
Reisender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Atlanta, USA ; Chennai India
Posts: 144
Thanked: 40 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Shell bunk at Chromepet, Chennai
Diesel cost - 62.xx INR/Litre

Last time i filled was at 48/l and really got shocked when the attender told the cost of a litre.
Of course, it is regular diesel
Reisender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 15:37   #1228
BHPian
 
karty_83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Is there a price hike in shell as well ? It was around 74 until last week !!
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 17:01   #1229
BHPian
 
r_devakumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 226
Thanked: 71 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Is there a price hike in shell as well ? It was around 74 until last week !!
Looks like no increase in Chennai. I filled Shell normal today at East Tambaram and the price is same as last week (Rs.74.xx)
r_devakumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 20:35   #1230
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,404
Thanked: 855 Times
Default re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Filled Shell Super @ Rs77.45 per litre today. This price itself was effected on 1st May, so I don't think there will be any immediate increase.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List of BPCL outlets selling Speed 97 petrol in India aadix The Indian Car Scene 40 9th April 2017 03:46
Accessories, Tyres, Lubes etc. - Hot Wheels (Trivandrum) pramodkumar Other Cities 2 16th February 2013 23:56
Filters & Lubes For Ford Endeavour 2004 pskrishnan Technical Stuff 6 2nd September 2012 21:41
Short supply of fuel at Shell outlets in Bangalore benbsb29 Shifting gears 53 5th July 2007 16:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks