Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th August 2011, 22:30   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

^^AFAIK they buy the fuel from the Mangalore refinery. The Shell fuel that you get at the pump is the same that left the refinery, in quality as well as quantity. But the PSU fuel undergoes hanky-panky subsequently (laced with Naptha) and also delivered short at the pump.

If you can locate a very good PSU pump, the fuel you get there will be the same as what you get at the Shell pump. But still the service can't match Shell.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 11:43   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
ohh!! I didnt know that. So if its the same "quality" as the other PSU petrol pumps then the only advantage is that the attendants do not play their distraction games, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If you can locate a very good PSU pump, the fuel you get there will be the same as what you get at the Shell pump. But still the service can't match Shell.
Shell purifies/treats the fuel after they buy it from the PSUs which is why the premium. I doubt if any straight PSU pump can match the quality of fuel at Shell.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 12:09   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Shell purifies/treats the fuel after they buy it from the PSUs which is why the premium. I doubt if any straight PSU pump can match the quality of fuel at Shell.
I don't think this is possible once the fuel leaves the refinery. But the fuel as it leaves the refinery will be as per the specs and QC of Shell.

Whenever I fill Speed 93 petrol at the Ashram bunk at Pondy, I find it to be identical to the Shell super I fill at Chennai. I have done a full tank at Shell before leaving - full tank at Pondy before returning - full tank again at Shell immediately upon return many times, and compared the mileage/smoothness in both directions. They have been identical every time. BTW this Ashram bunk is run by the Aurobindo Ashram and is a very good one.

Last edited by Gansan : 10th August 2011 at 12:10.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 12:18   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I don't think this is possible once the fuel leaves the refinery. But the fuel as it leaves the refinery will be as per the specs and QC of Shell.

Whenever I fill Speed 93 petrol at the Ashram bunk at Pondy, I find it to be identical to the Shell super I fill at Chennai. I have done a full tank at Shell before leaving - full tank at Pondy before returning - full tank again at Shell immediately upon return many times, and compared the mileage/smoothness in both directions. They have been identical every time. BTW this Ashram bunk is run by the Aurobindo Ashram and is a very good one.
I used to think that the petrol in Ekayars (Venkatanarayana road) was as good as shell. But, this time, there is a difference in the smoothness and the FE. I am going to verify this by switching back to shell the next time I fill up.
hajaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:16   #1355
BHPian

With crude falling now, shell should reduce the prices in line with the international market! I hope that with the expectations of slowing demand, we also get lower fuel prices( and lower inflation)
hemantbsutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:20   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Bommanahalli outlet is closed for renovation, entrance from Hosur road is blocked.

Last time I filled from IOC COCO b/w Udupi Garden-Jayadeva flyover, and I find them equally good. this time also I'll fill from this outlet
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:45   #1357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
With crude falling now, shell should reduce the prices in line with the international market! I hope that with the expectations of slowing demand, we also get lower fuel prices( and lower inflation)
Not until the PSU's reduce the price. I am sure they will be always on higher side than the PSU bunks.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:23   #1358
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Not until the PSU's reduce the price. I am sure they will be always on higher side than the PSU bunks.
I guess they are lower or equal to the PSU as of now? Have not looked at the PSU prices for a while, ever since shell came down to 71 range! I don't think they will wait for that, they lowered their prices before PSU's a couple of times if i am not wrong? We all wish for lower prices soon
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:26   #1359
Senior - BHPian

what is the current price of diesel in Shell bunks in chennai.?

If the price isnt different i want to go to Shell which is far closer to my office.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:41   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
PSU's may not reduce so soon. Even if a rupee higher than PSU- shell surely is worth it i guess.
hemantbsutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 21:11   #1361
BHPian

I filled up Shell Normal Petrol outside Octroi in Pune yesterday @ 67.95. Then again HP Power.. also yesterday @ 69.68.. Normal Unleaded was selling for 68.28.
antz.bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:32   #1362
Senior - BHPian

I was at Shell Whitefield yesterday; have been out of B'lore for 2 weeks so don't know if this is oven fresh or stale news.

Normal petrol is : 71.35 (reduction from 71.95)
Super petrol is : 71.85 (reduction from 72.XX)

Diesel prices were not advertised.

Btw, has anyone noticed the change in the banners thru' out the pump? Everything is now in Kannada! There is not a hint of English anywhere - Diesel/Super/Petrol etc. - whatever is displayed on the fuel filling stations is now in Kannada! Don't know what got into them.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 10:39   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I was at Shell Whitefield yesterday; have been out of B'lore for 2 weeks so don't know if this is oven fresh or stale news.
Normal petrol is : 71.35 (reduction from 71.95)
Super petrol is : 71.85 (reduction from 72.XX)

The prices were in effect for quite some time back, maybe during the time you were outside Bangalore!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 11:44   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Btw, has anyone noticed the change in the banners thru' out the pump? Everything is now in Kannada! There is not a hint of English anywhere - Diesel/Super/Petrol etc. - whatever is displayed on the fuel filling stations is now in Kannada! Don't know what got into them.
Really not sure what has happened. As per the shops and establishments act, business organisations need to compulsorily display names in Kannada, and the font for Kannada needs to be more prominent than English. Maybe they are acting on this. The Rule has been in force for quite sometime though!!
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 11:47   #1365
BHPian

In Hinjewadi Pune : Petrol @67.95 for Shell and 68.85 for Others...
vikrantj is offline   Reply With Quote