Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd November 2011, 09:21   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Yes. The tax amount is better than having the tax "percentage".

Btw, just curious, is there any RTI act coming into this for knowing what is actually happening???
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:28   #1427
BHPian

Default Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread. Update: Going down cheaper than PSU's.

Hi nkrishanp,

MRPL does not sell fuel to Shell. Crude is indeed traded like any other commodity in open global market. The fuel in its current form that we are filling now, could have been bid 6 to 8 months earlier as crude, even before it had come to the earth's surface and would have not yet been pumped out from the oil wells. It is speculative trading. MRPL has no role in how and when Shell makes the purchase. They might be involved for local refining of crude that Shell has purchased, but dont 'sell' the refined fuel to Shell. It is very similar to outsourcing only the 'refining part'. If Shell had made an early speculation and purchased crude at a mix of say $98/barrel in the global OPEC market, it might have not been the same for the PSU Oil cos. Even with the PSU, it is only HPCL currently that is crying foul and not the rest. It is possible that the honchos at HPCL had purchased crude at a different price mix. Let us differentiate the crude purchase and refining. They are different and MRPL has no role in defining when Shell had made the bid/purchase or any hold on how Shell does the pricing.

And, I do agree, not all the money we as common man pay as taxes, go for meeting the genuine needs of better administration. We cry, shout and do make noise, but at the end of the day we are also either mute spectators of the system or a part of it indirectly.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:37   #1428
Senior - BHPian

@nkrishnap
I think Shell get the fuel refined to their spec by MRPL and may not just be buying it OTC. They may not supply their own crude but there may be a barter arrangement.

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd November 2011 at 09:39.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 10:03   #1429
Senior - BHPian

Shell has changed its price to 74.20 in Chennai with effect from 1st November, so in all probability what HPCL is asking in terms of price hike could be genuine.

The only grouse I have with the PSU's is they don't want to reduce the prices with the same urgency they display for increasing the prices. This has meant players like Shell who did not mind reducing prices earlier opting to price their product slightly higher than PSU prices, thereby making more profit for themselves.

There needs to be more transparency in the system I would not mind if the prices change on a daily basis, even though in the long term we might end up paying overall the same costs for Petrol as we currently pay, at least we can be sure the price we paid was decided by actual market conditions.

Incidentally most of the price fluctuation happens because of "Trading" rather than actual demand and supply pattern. With slowdown being talked off at US, Europe in doldrums & demand from China not enough to compensate the slowdown elsewhere, experts predicted Brent Crude Prices to be around 75 - 90 dollars per barrel.

With the gap between Brent & US Crude prices at its widest crude oil is now being used for making short term gains through Arbitrage between the two prices thereby ensuring Brent prices don't come down.

There are a lot of Shylocks' around after all of them take their pound of flesh we are left only with skeltons.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:26   #1430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Shell has changed its price to 74.20 in Chennai with effect from 1st November, so in all probability what HPCL is asking in terms of price hike could be genuine.
Ya man. Shell has secretly hiked the petrol prices by almost 2-3 Rs. When I went to the Shell pump yesterday, I was under the impression that with the impending price hike of HPCL and other companies, Shell will look cheaper in comparison. But, that was not to happen.

However, I still prefer the Shell petrol and the amazing service that I get at this pump. There is a BPCL pump just next to this Shell pump and thats like a fish market, with ZERO care to customer service and cheating 7 out of 10 times. I also think that both my Vista and the 2 wheeler give slightly more FE if I fill Shell.

Sorry for the OT discussion, but thought about expressing it here.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:38   #1431
Senior - BHPian

I filled Shell Normal petrol in my Alto today. The price is Rs 75.00 (gone up by 20 ps).
pramodpk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:53   #1432
Senior - BHPian

Is there any price hike for Shell? IOC announced Rs. 1.82 hike per ltr from today midnight.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 09:50   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Is there any price hike for Shell? IOC announced Rs. 1.82 hike per ltr from today midnight.

I filled petrol for my Fiesta today. The price was Rs 75.00/- (same as yesterday).
pramodpk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 09:54   #1434
Senior - BHPian

I filled Shell Super for my bike yesterday @ Rs 76.70 per litre. Normal will be Rs 74.20.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 17:07   #1435
Senior - BHPian

You guys would not believe it but shell has increased the petrol prices in hyderabad by 2/- per litre.
Yesterday I refilled at Rs. 78.74/-per litre, a good 1.99/- hike per litre.
I refilled at Rs. 76.75/- per litre the last time. I am seriously at a loss with their pricing logic. Can someone explain ?
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 11:16   #1436
Distinguished - BHPian

attached below is the price of shell normal petrol in mysore and bangalore

Mysore is cheaper by 72 paise
Name:  ForumRunner_20111112_105520.png
Views: 639
Size:  286.6 KB
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 12:24   #1437
Distinguished - BHPian

Why doesn't Shell open a outlet in other places like Delhi? Any particular reason for avoiding this?
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 15:52   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday filled Shell from Old Madras road outlet @ Rs. 76.74.
Any idea what happened to Shell outlet at Bommanahalli? I looked for it twice but couldn't see.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 17:09   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
A bit OT here. I had gone to Shell yesterday and proceeded to the air-check point after filling petrol. Got down from the car (as is my practice while filling air) and absentmindedly locked the car with the key inside.

A line was already forming behind my car. I apologized to them, went and appraised the manager about the problem. As no mechanic shops will be open (it was 8.00 AM), told him I will go home by auto and fetch the spare key. Voluntarily and without hesitation he immediately started his brand new FZ and took me to my home. We were back at the station with the spare key within 15 minutes! He did not bat an eyelid and never lost his smile all the while.
Lucky you. The manager at the Shell petrol pump at Hyderabad (Somajiguda) actually shoo'ed me away for not complying to align my vehicle properly at the pump. A fan of Shell until then, even going the extra 3 km to get fuel filled, that was the last time I ever touched Shell again.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 17:30   #1440
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Lucky you. The manager at the Shell petrol pump at Hyderabad (Somajiguda) actually shoo'ed me away for not complying to align my vehicle properly at the pump. A fan of Shell until then, even going the extra 3 km to get fuel filled, that was the last time I ever touched Shell again.
I'm sorry to hear you were treated rudely at a Shell pump, mate. Shell must take note of this and ensure that managers and attendants in all its pumps are trained in customer care etiquette and professionalism. Otherwise, there would be no distinguishing feature between Shell and PSU pumps.

Ever since the price of petrol crossed Rs.70/litre at PSU pumps, I've shifted loyalty to Shell. The price of Shell Unleaded may be higher by ~Rs.1.60/litre, but if I'm paying so much for a litre of fuel, I want to ensure I get quality fuel and not get cheated (both in terms of quantity and quality) at those PSU pumps.

I've noted that I get higher fuel efficiency with Shell. As an added benefit, the engine also runs noticeably smoother and the throttle responses are better when running on Shell Unleaded. I haven't tried Shell Super so far.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote