Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2008, 22:41   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,958
Thanked: 249 Times
Default

I know of a ZX-12R that ran into problems at the Bombay Speedrun ,last year because of Reliance fuel.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 23:14   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,225
Thanked: 341 Times
Default

I've used the Reliance 98 Octane several times and never faced any problems. Not saying that you guys are wrong, just wondering exactly what the problems were and how the culprit was verified to be the fuel.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 23:32   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 306 Times
Default

Used Speed 97 once. There is a difference than the normal and the 93 octane. But i find 93 octane easy on the wallet and good too. ( Just a 2 Rs Premium over regular petrol - 52.5 )
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 23:35   #49
BHPian
 
mishraak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 99
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

See the fuel is not bad, its the outlet where you filled, or you can say the guys working there. These guys report the number of units of fuel sold in terms of tank capacity less the amount dispensed by the tanker.

So suppose, the tanker dispenses 1000 litres to the tank, the guys then add say 100 litres of adulterant to the fuel, now they have 1100 litres of "fuel" and have to account for 1000 litres to the owner. I know this from a friend of a mine whose younger brother is at a filling station in Noida. They distribute anywhere from 1000-1500 per head per day.
mishraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 01:07   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,225
Thanked: 341 Times
Default

Yeah, except we don't get 93 in Bombay, or at least I don't know of any pumps that currently sell it.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 01:14   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Ya... haven't seen it in Poona either. Not that I'v checked in many places... as I fill at very selected bunks only. Have only seen 91 and 97.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 14:46   #52
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,843
Thanked: 17,201 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
What engine? What compression? How did it blow? What exactly happened? How do you know the fuel caused it?
Was this mclaren's(Rahul's) Baleno?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 15:55   #53
BHPian
 
AirWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 804
Thanked: 70 Times
Default

This will continue to exist... we hardly bother to collect a receipt for the gas we fill... I consciously ensure to get a receipt everytime I fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishraak View Post
See the fuel is not bad, its the outlet where you filled, or you can say the guys working there. These guys report the number of units of fuel sold in terms of tank capacity less the amount dispensed by the tanker.

So suppose, the tanker dispenses 1000 litres to the tank, the guys then add say 100 litres of adulterant to the fuel, now they have 1100 litres of "fuel" and have to account for 1000 litres to the owner. I know this from a friend of a mine whose younger brother is at a filling station in Noida. They distribute anywhere from 1000-1500 per head per day.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 03:32   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
AFAIK, you cannot raise the octane rating of petrol just by adding boosters/additives...
Sure you can. They're called octane boosters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
What engine? What compression? How did it blow? What exactly happened? How do you know the fuel caused it?
G16 with a non-standard bore/stroke combination. Increased compression, to something like 12.5:1 -- cannot remember the exact figures now. How do we know -- we drove fine to the pump, but half an hour later it started knocking and detonating. Nothing was changed, including the driving style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I've used the Reliance 98 Octane several times and never faced any problems. Not saying that you guys are wrong, just wondering exactly what the problems were and how the culprit was verified to be the fuel.
Well either you're very lucky with your fuel quality, or your M3 is continuously changing ignition timing to deal with the fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I know of a ZX-12R that ran into problems at the Bombay Speedrun ,last year because of Reliance fuel.
There you go. So it's not just us. And I remember which bike you're talking about too! Just didn't know it was running Reliance fuel.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 06:51   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,755
Thanked: 1,506 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Used Speed 97 once. There is a difference than the normal and the 93 octane. But i find 93 octane easy on the wallet and good too. ( Just a 2 Rs Premium over regular petrol - 52.5 )
How come?
Even normal premuim fuels like Speed and Xtra Premuim are being sold at a premuim of 4 Rs/L
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 09:07   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 306 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How come?
Even normal premuim fuels like Speed and Xtra Premuim are being sold at a premuim of 4 Rs/L
Earlier also it was less expensive than the xtra premium and speed!
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 09:23   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,755
Thanked: 1,506 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Earlier also it was less expensive than the xtra premium and speed!
So how much does it cost now for 93 Octane fuel.?
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 17:31   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 306 Times
Default

I got around 47.4 litres for 2500 bucks

Its Rs. 52.6
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 18:58   #59
Newbie
 
ACE™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I got around 47.4 litres for 2500 bucks

Its Rs. 52.6
I'm in too for 93 octane., it's a good balance in between quality n price. Quiet frankly speaking i believe that our Indian cars don't require 97 octane for their lower compression.
ACE™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 20:55   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,225
Thanked: 341 Times
Default

Wow! That's a difference of Rs. 17.40 per litre between Speed 93 and Speed 97, which would be around Rs. 1,100/- per tank-up for me! More importantly it means they are marking-up Speed 97 by over 33% above Speed 93? Ridiculous!

Edit: I know someone mentioned that "branded" fuels can be sold at any price the oil company sees fit, but surely a 33% mark-up is clear robbery? There should be a way to petition the oil ministry to make the oil companies sell purer petrol (97 or 98 octane) without any additives, thereby "unbranding" the product, and making the price more reasonable.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 1st October 2008 at 20:59.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Increase RON of Petrol. abhinav.gupta88 Technical Stuff 1 23rd February 2009 01:43
cedia fuel reserve/RON blue2ki Technical Stuff 7 16th October 2007 23:31
Legendary Ron Fellows Celebrated with a Special Corvette Z06 pawan The International Automotive Scene 3 2nd February 2007 23:47
Swift recommended fuel 88 RON and above ? hemlock Technical Stuff 16 4th December 2006 12:03
97 ron ? Kinetik Shifting gears 2 8th November 2004 15:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks