Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 23:52   #91
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,839
Thanked: 17,186 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
97 RON is only good when you have a high compression european engine. Indian or american cars are tuned to run optimum at 85-87 RON
Yup agreed and I think that is why Kbk_75 uses it for his BMW M3.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 13:48   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,978
Thanked: 344 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yup agreed and I think that is why Kbk_75 uses it for his BMW M3.
BMW M3.. Huh? Darn!!!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 15:02   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,126
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
97 RON is only good when you have a high compression european engine. Indian or american cars are tuned to run optimum at 85-87 RON
Most American cars these days are tuned to run 91AKI or higher. That's 95RON.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 15:02   #94
BHPian
 
Dante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nasik
Posts: 372
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
So Speed 97 is now Rs. 66/- a litre. Talk about arbitrary pricing. The price of Speed97 stays high while oil falls to 30% of it's peak value, then they reduce the price 5.7% when oil goes back up 50%. Brilliant. Not that I'm complaining (now that the price has FINALLY been reduced a little), but it still boggles the mind!
KbK do u use 91 with additives or 97 then for your M3?
Any performance difference with 91 vs 97? Or problems?
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 15:15   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,978
Thanked: 344 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Most American cars these days are tuned to run 91AKI or higher. That's 95RON.
But AFAIK th efuel sold in America is still 85-87 RON. Well it was till about a year ago. Don't know what it is now
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 15:24   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,126
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

No, the fuel sold in America is 85-91 AKI depending on the state you are in. AKI = (RON+MON)/2. Higher octane fuels are also available, although rare like how 97 is here.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 19:33   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,225
Thanked: 341 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
KbK do u use 91 with additives or 97 then for your M3?
Any performance difference with 91 vs 97? Or problems?
I've used Speed97 exclusively since the day I bought the car. I've even toyed with the thought of adding an octane booster to a tank of Speed97, but then decided against it since we don't really know what the formulation of Speed97 is and I don't want to mess things up. In any case I've read that octane boosters are all nonsense anyway.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 20:35   #98
BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 937
Thanked: 1,065 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I've used Speed97 exclusively since the day I bought the car. I've even toyed with the thought of adding an octane booster to a tank of Speed97, but then decided against it since we don't really know what the formulation of Speed97 is and I don't want to mess things up. In any case I've read that octane boosters are all nonsense anyway.
Kbk that isnt true, most of the (super) bike owners use Octane Boosters all the time. And its always served me well. The real concern is the quality of fuel (does it have impurities) rather then thinking the octane booster might have weird effects with Speed 97. Infact I feel you should try it out and see the results for yourself.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 21:13   #99
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,695
Thanked: 3,132 Times
Default

They feel if you can pay 20L+ for your car why not rip you off.

Incidentally EIII/EIV demand minimum 95RON to be called Premium. So what is XtraPremium doing at 93RON

I guess proper Premium after April will be at least Rs.67 (todays prices).
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 13:08   #100
BHPian
 
Dante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nasik
Posts: 372
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I've used Speed97 exclusively since the day I bought the car. I've even toyed with the thought of adding an octane booster to a tank of Speed97, but then decided against it since we don't really know what the formulation of Speed97 is and I don't want to mess things up. In any case I've read that octane boosters are all nonsense anyway.
Since you use speed 97, its fine if you don't use boosters, beacause 97 is already pure (or its just the claim).

Wonder what octane does Shell petrol provide. I guess its 91.
You have any idea?
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 14:58   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,225
Thanked: 341 Times
Default

I believe Shell is 91 octane. I agree that the purity of the fuel is more important than the claimed octane rating. But who's to say that Speed 97 is not adulterated? So far, I've had no problems and I generally use three pumps to gas up:

1. The Worli pump with the Pizza Hut outlet
2. The Worli pump just before Prabhadevi
3. The pump on the Bombay - Pune expressway
4. Occasionally, the Pune RTO pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Kbk that isnt true, most of the (super) bike owners use Octane Boosters all the time. And its always served me well. The real concern is the quality of fuel (does it have impurities) rather then thinking the octane booster might have weird effects with Speed 97. Infact I feel you should try it out and see the results for yourself.
I've watched videos online where they have tested various octane boosters on engines hooked up to dynos and they have found no improvement in bhp or torque.

I guess the real issue here is whether or not the base fuel is adulterated. If it is then the octane booster will help. Also if the base fuel is a lower octane rating, obviously the gain will be greater.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th August 2009 at 20:09. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 15:09   #102
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 132
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I believe Shell is 91 octane. I agree that the purity of the fuel is more important than the claimed octane rating. But who's to say that Speed 97 is not adulterated? So far, I've had no problems and I generally use three pumps to gas up:

1. The Worli pump with the Pizza Hut outlet
2. The Worli pump just before Prabhadevi
3. The pump on the Bombay - Pune expressway
4. Occasionally, the Pune RTO pump

hi
Are these the list of shell pumps in mumbai. I know there is one at bandra linking road.
amidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 15:25   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
kbk_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,225
Thanked: 341 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
hi
Are these the list of shell pumps in mumbai. I know there is one at bandra linking road.
No these are the BP pumps that I use to fuel up with Speed97.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 15:35   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
ported_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 2,391
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
hi
Are these the list of shell pumps in mumbai. I know there is one at bandra linking road.
There is a Shell pump on Linking Road ?!
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 06:14   #105
BHPian
 
Berj79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 375
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

does speed97 have additives in it? i wanna try speed97 on my laura 1.8 tsi, been using normal 91 octane, will speed97 be dangerous? heard or read somewhere about an engine giving issues thanks to the additives used my speed fuel
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Increase RON of Petrol. abhinav.gupta88 Technical Stuff 1 23rd February 2009 01:43
cedia fuel reserve/RON blue2ki Technical Stuff 7 16th October 2007 23:31
Legendary Ron Fellows Celebrated with a Special Corvette Z06 pawan The International Automotive Scene 3 2nd February 2007 23:47
Swift recommended fuel 88 RON and above ? hemlock Technical Stuff 16 4th December 2006 12:03
97 ron ? Kinetik Shifting gears 2 8th November 2004 15:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks