Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th June 2008, 11:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wouldn't be seen dead in an M800, but would buy the Alto. Hmm. Both are almost the same cars from the same segment (lowest) with just some cosmetic differences. How different are they in terms of engine, space, other specs etc. And what about pricing ? A few thousands more. I do like the Alto, but am planning for an M800 (for some reasons) though I do not see any reason to feel ashamed of being seen in one.

Prius is a style-icon due to being env-friendly. But clubbing the Nano with it is taking it a little too far IMO. But I guess the smilie indicates this comment of yours was in jest.

We know or atleast were told that it is spacious than the M800. Fine. But the mileage, price etc are still unknown variables. And just because a car is new, does not make it safer - as you yourself said, it is just a claim.

BTW, though a little OT here, I did not want to start a new thread for this : There was an advt in the paper yesterday for Alto and M800 and the FE for Alto was indicated as 17.6kmpl, while for M800 it was 16.8 which surprised me. I was thinking all along that the M800 would be more FE due to being lower on power than the Alto and also being significantly lighter than Alto. Any tech inputs on why Alto is more FE ?
On the highway because of the 5 speed unit of the alto,the mileage factor is more than the 4 speed 800.Also having 6 valves extra than the 800 the crusing at speeds is less stranious and hence the higher mileage.
800 was displaced as the mileage car long time back by the alto.

Also i think strippin down the 800 to match the nano is like A merc comin down to skodas level just to compete with them.800 should stick to its guns,be confident about their price and product.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 17:04   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, humyum for clearing that up.
supremeBaleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 17:06   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
On the highway because of the 5 speed unit of the alto,the mileage factor is more than the 4 speed 800.Also having 6 valves extra than the 800 the crusing at speeds is less stranious and hence the higher mileage.
800 was displaced as the mileage car long time back by the alto.

Also i think strippin down the 800 to match the nano is like A merc comin down to skodas level just to compete with them.800 should stick to its guns,be confident about their price and product.
One of the reasons why I regret not picking the Alto over the 800 even now.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:22   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima
One of the reasons why I regret not picking the Alto over the 800 even now.
You mean you regret buying the 800 because it's FE is 1 kmpl less than the Alto ?

If it is only the FE, I don't think you need to regret because I did a quick calculation of the money saved due to this 1kmpl better FE of the Alto vs the extra you would have to shell out for it (compared to M800). Found that even for an ownership period of 10-15 years, it is a trivial amount saved compared to the initial extra you shell out for the Alto (over the M800).
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
You mean you regret buying the 800 because it's FE is 1 kmpl less than the Alto ?

If it is only the FE, I don't think you need to regret because I did a quick calculation of the money saved due to this 1kmpl better FE of the Alto vs the extra you would have to shell out for it (compared to M800). Found that even for an ownership period of 10-15 years, it is a trivial amount saved compared to the initial extra you shell out for the Alto (over the M800).

Yes SB, I console myself with that fact. However, the Alto has a better suspension and a better AC with a wee bit of extra space, right?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 12:00   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh yes, in those respects the Alto is better for sure. Add to the list the PowerSteering available in the Lxi version.
Old 3rd July 2008, 00:53   #67
Senior - BHPian

Maruti can reduce costs on all rubber and plastic parts simply by reducing the quality and longevity of the materials...
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:23   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post

Yes SB, I console myself with that fact. However, the Alto has a better suspension and a better AC with a wee bit of extra space, right?
Extra space? No. The 800 has more legroom (maybe in a few mm )

But the Alto wins in terms of suspension, better tyres (145/80R12), better AC for sure, and the best part - it is built much more safer!
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:17   #69
BANNED

see this is what i feel what maruti can do to compete with Nano and other rivals in future

make the 800 sell at aroudn 10-20k more than the nano

get the alto down or almost as same price as to what the 800 currently sells

place the A-star on the alto slot

discontinue the estilo and replace the Wagon R with Splash and use extra capacity from teh Estilo production of for newer models llike SPlash and A-star so that they can meet with the order demands and not make customers face another nightmare as they are currently doing with the dzire..

just my 2 cents..

Last edited by fx45 : 3rd July 2008 at 12:20.
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:19   #70
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure not just Maruti Suzuki but all the other automobile manufacturers are waiting to see how the Nano fares. Incase its a hit and the Tata's can deliver a decent quality car at that price point, the others are going to have to juggle their product portfolio to meet the demand for the new market segment. And you're then going to see everyone from GM to Maruti to Hyundai, maybe even Ford and Honda try to come up with some offerings in that budget or close to that budget.

As regards stripping the M800, well Maruti is already phasing it out in the metros and positioning it for the rural segment. Perhaps, they could manage to shave off some costs by changing the types of seats, plastics, tyres, rejiging some manufacturing processes et all to get a cost benefit of perhaps 15-20k. This coupled with lower margins, lower taxes etc would translate to an even lower sticker price than currently. Also if they do go in for an engine change to around 600CC, that would translate to greater mileage as well, which is the main USP of the NANO.

Irrespective of whether they strip the M800 or change over to a totally new model, I'm sure that they will keep the focus on meeting consumer demand. Maruti Suzuki has proven time and again that they listen to customers and respond appropriately. Their *** is legendary and I hope it stays that way. Very interesting times ahead.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:40   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lalvaz, of course the Nano is going to be a hit. Other manufacturers don't need to wait to see that. However, what they will be closely watching is how long Tata can sustain the price (inflation, higher input costs), the profitability and their new assembly model. Irrespective, I don't see too many manufacturers getting into the absolute low-end segment. The M800 ruled the roost for nearly two decades, but no one else could touch it for low costs. Heck, a good number of global car majors are still trying to figure out how to make a 3 - 4 lakh hatchback profitable!!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:04   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lalvaz, of course the Nano is going to be a hit. Other manufacturers don't need to wait to see that. However, what they will be closely watching is how long Tata can sustain the price (inflation, higher input costs), the profitability and their new assembly model. Irrespective, I don't see too many manufacturers getting into the absolute low-end segment. The M800 ruled the roost for nearly two decades, but no one else could touch it for low costs. Heck, a good number of global car majors are still trying to figure out how to make a 3 - 4 lakh hatchback profitable!!
You're assuming that the Nano's going to be a hit solely on the price announced thus far. What happens to that assumption if the Nano is grossly underpowered or very cheap quality? Price is not the only parameter is it?

Hyundai, Bajaj and some other automobile manufacturers have already announced plans of developing a similar low cost car. Still needs to be seen how successful they will be though.

Lastly, although no one was able to touch the M800 on pricing thus far, perhaps no one tried hard enough. Amazing how the Tata's are managing though now?
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:17   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
You're assuming that the Nano's going to be a hit solely on the price announced thus far. What happens to that assumption if the Nano is grossly underpowered or very cheap quality? Price is not the only parameter is it?

Hyundai, Bajaj and some other automobile manufacturers have already announced plans of developing a similar low cost car. Still needs to be seen how successful they will be though.

Lastly, although no one was able to touch the M800 on pricing thus far, perhaps no one tried hard enough. Amazing how the Tata's are managing though now?
You are also speculating that Nano will be very cheap quality. Will it be cheaper than the scooters? Unlikely. It is surely going to be hit below 1.2L. Beyond that, we don't know as it will start inching towards Maruti 800.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 15:10   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
You are also speculating that Nano will be very cheap quality. Will it be cheaper than the scooters? Unlikely. It is surely going to be hit below 1.2L. Beyond that, we don't know as it will start inching towards Maruti 800.
Opendro - I never said the Nano will be cheap quality dude. All I said is lets wait for the launch before we claim the Nano is a hit or a dud. I was pointing out that price is not the only criteria for the success or failure of a product. Makes sense now?
Old 3rd July 2008, 17:13   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Opendro - I never said the Nano will be cheap quality dude. All I said is lets wait for the launch before we claim the Nano is a hit or a dud. I was pointing out that price is not the only criteria for the success or failure of a product. Makes sense now?
I don't mean to end up in argument, but I used the word "speculation", because you are casting some possibility of the quality being cheap, whereas I'm 100% sure that it will have the quality to be worth 1.2 lac.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote